Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

The Dads of Tween/Teens Thread...

Well..... My daughter turns 15 tomorrow, and my son is 4 months into 11...
    I feel like I'm losing touch with them... Between her, txting, friends and boys, and he with less youth sports in favor more fucking video gaming (stopped playing little league, calling in sick for football now), I'm starting to feel I'm losing some semblence of what I'm here for... I feel that hand held technology is beginning to control their lives, and it's killing me... I can't complain about their schooling, because they are both straight A students and excelled in school related activities (music) last year... However, I'm having a hard time dealing with this next level I have found myself approaching...

Any other Dad's facing these issues ???
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t decide - I love them all
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, I know the feeling. I have a 13-year-old step-son who is getting more and more addicted to video games. He is also becoming more defiant and of course knows everything there is to know about everything. We've tried all kinds of sports, Boy Scouts, and other activities, but he isn't interested in any of them. The only thing he will give 100% of effort towards is Modern Warfare 2. And texting his friends. He does like skateboarding, but I've been to the skate park and the kids down there are not some that I'd want him to be around. It's pretty tough raising a teen. His mother is very much against him having a Facebook page, but we found out yesterday he has a page and has been using it out our neighbor's house. He doesn't seem to learn that the more he lies to us, the less freedom he will ever get. It's a tough age, for sure.
    Face Down in Cabo!

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

How about Mom's using this thread too? Am I allowed?

CB-defiance in my house is cause for video gaming equipment to go bye, bye for awhile. Pack that shit up and put it away where he can't get it for awhile. Take it somewhere else if you have to but get it out of the house. Might really piss him off but you will get your point across.

Mine are 14, 11,11 and 8. Lord help us all!

TST<------------yeesh-------freaking kids------

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't see the problem.

100 000 years ago parents were complaining about their kids and that new fangled 'fire' thing occupying all their time. they no longer want to stay in caves but go out at night and cook brontoburgers!

40 000 years ago parents were complaining about their kids and their new fangled 'wheel', going to and fro.

every generation complains about some bullshit their kids do that they don't understand.

on the other hand, if you REALLY REALLY want to spoil it for them, start playing games with them, start listening and LOVING their music, joing them on face book, txt message them all day long. if you have a daughter and want her to never ever have a chance with a boy in high school, just show up to a dance or volunteer in school. in general just be your self and embarass the crap out of them.

that'll teach em.

Last edited by lil'devil; 08.23.10 at 10:16 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

lil' devil....do you have kids? No, I mean seriously. Do you?

My daughter just turned 13 a couple weeks ago. I haven't lost touch with her completely yet, but I also feel her slipping a bit. Rebelion, cantankerous shenanigans, texting, the whole "you could never understand" arguments. It's already growing old on me.

And voivod, I'm relating to you a bit here as she also does great in school, straight A's and all that. Smart kid. Just kind of slipping.
    Last edited by seenbad; 08.23.10 at 11:22 PM.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

We who have only 1 kid give maximum respect for TST and her 4.

Wow! Don't know how u do it!
    Little Dreamer

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    lil' devil....do you have kids? No, I mean seriously. Do you?

My daughter just turned 13 a couple weeks ago. I haven't lost touch with her completely yet, but I also feel her slipping a bit. Rebelion, cantankerous shenanigans, texting, the whole "you could never understand" arguments. It's already growing old on me.

And voivod, I'm relating to you a bit here as she also does great in school, straight A's and all that. Smart kid. Just kind of slipping.
    no. i was trying to be funny.

i should stop.

hehe!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    We who have only 1 kid give maximum respect for TST and her 4.

Wow! Don't know how u do it!
    We drink............................................. .........

A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crown makes the bad children go away.

HH<-----Think I'll chime in on this subject in the morning!!!---------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

I think.....or I hope what your going through with the kids is normal.....my son is 13 and starting to drift away.....he doesn't live with me but I have him 2 days a week.....just this last year he has been canceling on me.....in favor of hanging out with friends.....and when he does stay with me, his head is buried in facebook, itouch, or video games......and he makes me drop him off at school 2 blocks away so his friends wont see that his dad gives him a ride to class.....

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

I don't have any kids but have a dog that thinks he knows everything.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:02 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

Yeah, I feel I lost 'em a long time ago. Listening to music that I never played in my house or my car, preferring to sit and text instead of going outside and actually playing, wanting to be on FaceBook and MySpace. Unfortunately, my wife and I have different philosophies about this stuff. I don't think kids need cellphones and social networking, but what do I know? As the oldest person in our family, I guess I have never learned a damn thing in my life. We don't even have a landline anymore - it seems pointless since everyone has their own cellphone. Anyway, they're up in Maryland with her now so I'm sure next time I see 'em they'll have their own cars or something...

7 more years and I guess it won't matter any more.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My oldest is 18 and starts college next week, although he will still be living here...he was in band and a bunch of other school activities (was never and still is not into sports) and then the video game thing kicked in. Quit band halfway through his freshman year in HS and the other clubs and activities slowly died out for him as well. He pulled away, got defiant, etc, but in the last year or so he has come to turn to his mom and I more often for life guidance, which makes me feel as though we have done something right.

In the end, the best you can do is guide them, teach them and hope that what you instill in them is what shines through in the end.

As for those who have girls...ugh, have enough friends to know that it seems they are far worse to raise...and with all due respect to any Linkers who have girls, the experiences my two older boys (18, 16) have had with many females, far rowdier and willing to cross any line than when I was their age.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I told my son a few years ago.(He turns 12 on Friday) That he WILL hate me one day. You should have seen the look in his eyes when I said that. I was serious when I said it. But he said no way dad. Thing is kids don't like to have you tell them what they are going to do. You have to realize that they are smart(smarter than we were at the same age). So you have to play against them in your favor.

I don't care if he plays VG's. I care that he is safe. In this day and age that means they have to stay home. If you want them to play sports or whatever. You become a part of it. Be it a father/mother coach or take an interest in their music and go with them to a concert. Better yet you get them to love your music.
    Back in 2004 when VH went out with Sammy I took my wife and son on the ILOVEALLACCESS thing. I had someone here look down on it. Saying basically it's a waste of time spending that kind of money on a 5 year old for something he won't even remember. Well he still to this day talks about it and wears the shirt that they gave us to his school. I just took him to see his favorite group last night(Green Day) A group most kids are into. Lucky for me they started over 22 years ago and I know all of their stuff. I had a great time and of course so did he. He's my son and not my property. I think to many parents are so worked up and forget that. As long as the grades stay up he keeps his consoles. Easy trade off. Plus first and foremost. MY HOUSE, MY RULES. Parents are pussy's now. (Ewww, I want my kid to love me, I want them to be my friend). Bullshit. You let them know who's the boss and stick to it.

In other words Let them know you are always there for them. But be prepared to kick some ass if need be. Follow though with punishments. Don't care if they talk back. Talk down if need be. All I have to do is give my look. (also helps that I'm 235 and look like a biker. LOL) Above all else. Watch their friends. They are the ones that will turn them against you. That kid that seems like an angel, more than likely is the one you have to worry about. Take that kid with you on a small family trip of some kind and the true person will eventually will come out at some point during the weekend. If your lucky he/she is that angel.

It will get better. Just remember how you felt at their age. It's the same feelings we had. A lot of kids have it a lot better now. They take it as entitlement. Make sure it's not.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

This is one of those threads I'll be watching intently. I now reside with a 16 year old girl - my GF's daughter. It already has proven to be a test of my patience, but I haven't crossed the line of 'you're living in my house' yet.

That day however is coming. I feel it.

I count myself lucky though that this is unlikely to last for more than three years seeing as how her ultimate plan is to move the heck out at the first opportunity. But, as we all know the world out there is a rough place that is only getting rougher. She'll likely return to the nest with her tail between her legs unless she shows some true stomach and cuts down everything in her path.

Until that time however I deal with her rather unpredictable (possibly bi-polar) personality. Bubbly and fun one second - scowling and bitchy the next. She wants things her way (no duh) and is finding that I dont bend the way her mother sometimes does.

I don't drink anymore so.....I'll be definitely coming here for advice. Oh yes.
    Last edited by LLFHS; 08.24.10 at 07:50 AM.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Once, Cathedral, Poundcake
    Last Online

10.11.14 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Damn this is a good thread. I thought the wife and I who had problems like this.

Our 20 year old has known more than us for years, but he moved in with a friend this semester, so that should ease that a little.

The 15 year old has his times, but most of the time he's pretty good. He plays football and wrestles. I know a lot of the boys so I'm not too worried. Girls have not become a big priority yet, sports is still #1.

The 13 year old, Momma's baby, has become a player. He worked at a daycamp with my oldest this summer and he started a relationship with a young lady (12). One day my oldest calls me and says. "I talked to Bailey's (the girl) Dad today. He wants me to keep her and Ethan (my youngest) apart. Apparently, there were texts going back and forth about them sneaking off from camp for a kiss. Sounds very sweet and innocent, I told my youngest when he said we didn't do anything. "I don't care, that's his little girl what he says goes."

Sometimes I get really tired of being a parent, would like to just move to Belize and open a banana plantation.
    Ladies and gentlemen, hobos and tramps, Cross-eyed mosquitoes and bowlegged ants; I'm here before you to stand behind you To tell you something I know nothing about... ~Sammy Hagar

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...LSe/weight.png