Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

Default The Ever Changing Sammy Hagar

I didn't really get to know Sammy until he joined VH (I can't remember if I even knew who he was pre-1985). After OU812, I started to look into his solo catalogue. I think I had Standing Hampton, VOA, and Three Lock Box on tape. I had trouble reconciling Solo Sammy from VH Sammy. Solo Sammy seemed so foreign to me. It was his voice but the music and the vibe were so different.

I wasn’t a very big fan of post VH Sammy at first. I bought Marching to Mars as soon as it came out and although I thought a lot of it was good, it wasn’t VH so I wasn’t crazy about it and since I had been living with Van Hagar though my teen and college years, it just felt weird. But since VH wasn't doing anything, I started to lean more and more on Sammy and the Wabos as they continued to tour, put out albums, and play some of VH as the shows. Fast forward to 2010, and now I have a similar situation. I’ll listen to OU812 and then pop in Ten 13 or Chickenfoot and once again, I can’t reconcile the two eras of the guy. The difference now is that the VH Sammy seems kinda foreign to me as if they aren’t the same guy.

This post is probably really stupid but I wondered if anyone else had the same thing going on.
    Last edited by BlindtotheWorld; 08.18.10 at 05:58 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Perhaps it's just that I'm not that big a fan and as such haven't dug deep into this guy's catalog but I don't think "ever changing" when Sammy Hagar comes up in conversation.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 2,387 Times in 1,489 Posts

Premium Member

Sammy has a great voice and can adapt to many musical styles. I too knew little of his solo catalogue until Van Hagar. I was a Dave or the grave guy until I first saw Sammy with the band and to me talent is talent. Then when I went to Van Cherone I'am like missing Sammy. Funny how life is.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Sammy has a great voice and can adapt to many musical styles. I too knew little of his solo catalogue until Van Hagar. I was a Dave or the grave guy until I first saw Sammy with the band and to me talent is talent. Then when I went to Van Cherone I'am like missing Sammy. Funny how life is.
    what musical styles, other than rock, has he done?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Fucker can burn a kazoo like no one's business.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey! take some time and do some deep digging on Youtube. You'll be surprised. I found an old clip on there where's he's basically doing soul on the old Midnight Special show in '78. I think he just did a 180 in direction after Montrose....kinda finding his neiche. Glad he changed back though! haha.
    Honestly the guy's done quite a bit of a chamelion act over the years. Surprised me, and I listened to a lot of Sammy even before VH. One of my first albums was Montrose, but I had never heard or seen this stuff until 5 or 6 months ago.
    Actually...here's a link. There used to be more obscure stuff like this and it's almost disco, so....yeah, I'd say he's done a lot.

Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 08.18.10 at 08:16 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 2,387 Times in 1,489 Posts

Premium Member

See above posts. ^
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

I think he's generally stayed within rock but dabbled on the fringes some - metal, soft rock, folk rock, jimmy buffet rock, and country.

My point wasn't that his music was so varied that he's hard to recognize from one period in his career to another. He always sounds like Sammy but the changes in him aren't really tangible to me but they are there.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Hey! take some time and do some deep digging on Youtube. You'll be surprised. I found an old clip on there where's he's basically doing soul on the old Midnight Special show in '78. I think he just did a 180 in direction after Montrose....kinda finding his neiche. Glad he changed back though! haha.
    Honestly the guy's done quite a bit of a chamelion act over the years. Surprised me, and I listened to a lot of Sammy even before VH. One of my first albums was Montrose, but I had never heard or seen this stuff until 5 or 6 months ago.
    Actually...here's a link. There used to be more obscure stuff like this and it's almost disco, so....yeah, I'd say he's done a lot.

yeah I've seen that clip before as well as another from around that same time period where he seems to sort of be channeling Roger Daltry.

Seems to me that as a guy in the rock/arena rock/RAWK! world, he's done a pretty fair job of working with different things...laid back late 70s rock (like that clip) hard driving rock, power ballads, fun rock...so sure, within his genre he's moved around a bit...but he's still predominantly a rock guy.

I think it's a bit of stretch to say he can adapt to many musical styles. I don't see this guy singing gospel, jazz, beepop, velvety Morrison style mood rock, 60s jangly folk (or even folk rock), true country etc...at least not without it sounding like a rock guy is singing it.

he's no chameleon.

Elvis was a chameleon who sang everything from gospel to jazz to country to rock to bubble gum to operatic ballads to schmoozy lounge and everything in between.

The Beatles were chameleons.

Hell, I think Genesis are more varied and ecclectic than Hagar.

Hagar's a damn good rock singer if that kind of high octane shout it out thing is what you're going for. I count him as a disciple of Daltry and Plant but again, both of those guys have exhibited a great deal more versatility than Hagar has.

At least that's my impression...maybe I'm missing something but from what I hear in Montrose, what I've been exposed to on the links as far as his more obscure stuff, pre VH solo work, his VH work, his post VH solo work and now Chickenfoot, I'm not hearing a body of work that I would use terms like "many styles" or "chameleon" to describe.

I'm not knocking the guy...he's just no Ray Charles or Eric Johnson (to point to a guitarist as an example).

He does what he does exceptionally well, his voice has held up longer than many peoples sex lives, he seems to be a great guy who cares about his fans and likes to keep busy. I just don't hear a ton of variety. It's not like he went through a 5 year phase where he sang country, a year where he sang gospel, two years where he was in a metal band and a year doing singer songwriter acoustic stuff...along with singing in Montrose and VH and then recently released an album of standards from the Brill Building.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Roger Daltrey and Robert Plant don't immediately come to mind when thinking about singers who can adapt to any styles. To me Plant always sounds the same, no matter what kind of backing music he's singing to. Same with Daltrey.

Now if you would've mentioned Freddie Mercury, then I would've agreed with you.

Initially Sammy was not a rock guy. Before joining Montrose he was singing James Brown covers. He was known as the local James Brown guy in the Bay Area music scene. So much so that in 1986, he tried to get James Brown to open for VH, which fell through because of some financial disagreements.

You could list FWYS and Apolotical Blues as examples of Sammy's diverse range. "Marching To Mars" is also a pretty diverse record as a whole.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

yeah I've seen that clip before as well as another from around that same time period where he seems to sort of be channeling Roger Daltry.

Seems to me that as a guy in the rock/arena rock/RAWK! world, he's done a pretty fair job of working with different things...laid back late 70s rock (like that clip) hard driving rock, power ballads, fun rock...so sure, within his genre he's moved around a bit...but he's still predominantly a rock guy.

I think it's a bit of stretch to say he can adapt to many musical styles. I don't see this guy singing gospel, jazz, beepop, velvety Morrison style mood rock, 60s jangly folk (or even folk rock), true country etc...at least not without it sounding like a rock guy is singing it.

he's no chameleon.

Elvis was a chameleon who sang everything from gospel to jazz to country to rock to bubble gum to operatic ballads to schmoozy lounge and everything in between.

The Beatles were chameleons.

Hell, I think Genesis are more varied and ecclectic than Hagar.

Hagar's a damn good rock singer if that kind of high octane shout it out thing is what you're going for. I count him as a disciple of Daltry and Plant but again, both of those guys have exhibited a great deal more versatility than Hagar has.

At least that's my impression...maybe I'm missing something but from what I hear in Montrose, what I've been exposed to on the links as far as his more obscure stuff, pre VH solo work, his VH work, his post VH solo work and now Chickenfoot, I'm not hearing a body of work that I would use terms like "many styles" or "chameleon" to describe.

I'm not knocking the guy...he's just no Ray Charles or Eric Johnson (to point to a guitarist as an example).

He does what he does exceptionally well, his voice has held up longer than many peoples sex lives, he seems to be a great guy who cares about his fans and likes to keep busy. I just don't hear a ton of variety. It's not like he went through a 5 year phase where he sang country, a year where he sang gospel, two years where he was in a metal band and a year doing singer songwriter acoustic stuff...along with singing in Montrose and VH and then recently released an album of standards from the Brill Building.
    I just say Chameleon in that most casual people equate Hagar's solo career with Heavy Metal. I agree....I don't think you're gonna hear a "Sammy Hagar Sings the Oak Ridge Boys" album! Haha. I dunno....I do think he's been pretty diverse. Chameleon may have been the wrong choice of words in terms of catalog, but I do think he adapted his voice well to whatever he was doing at the time. Like what was said above as an example, Plant has played different genres, but he always has that "Plant" persona in what he does. Save for maybe some of the Honeydrippers tunes.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 08.18.10 at 01:02 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

Sammy isn't the kind of guy that sticks with the same old thing all the time. Let Dave Matthews do that. I was a really big DMB fan until I realized how much it all sounds the same. I don't mean to bash them, even though that's how it sounds.

Anyhow, his music evolves over time. As he is influenced by playing with other people, he gets different ideas, which leads him in another direction. That's what music is supposed to be all about.

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I'm having trouble agreeing with the thoughts of the original post. You could pluck Finish What Ya Started and Cabo Wabo right off of OU812, and they would fit very much into the personality of Sammy's music in 2010. Probably not in Sammy we get in Chickenfoot, but certainly with the solo Sammy that is out on tour this summer.

And pre-VH songs like Heavy Metal, I Can't Drive 55, One Way to Rock, Red, Bad Motor Scooter also fit very much into Sammy's 21st century personality.

Can I envision him performing You Make Me Crazy live anymore? No, but that doesn't mean that song is not part of his make up.

For me, I have no problem transitioning between pre-VH Sammy, VH Sammy, or post-VH Sammy. Ironcially, the least I listen to is VH Sammy. I'm way more into his solo work nowadays.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

For me, I have no problem transitioning between pre-VH Sammy, VH Sammy, or post-VH Sammy. Ironcially, the least I listen to is VH Sammy. I'm way more into his solo work nowadays.
    I like the Brat Pack Sammy myself.

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    I like the Brat Pack Sammy myself.

fixed...

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton