Register
Page 1 of 28 123411 ... LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Default Barack Obama defends plans for Ground Zero mosque

Photograph: J. Scott Applewhite/AP

The US president, Barack Obama, has defended controversial plans to build a mosque near the site of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York, saying to oppose them would be un-American.

Prominent Republicans have led protests against the construction of an Islamic cultural centre and mosque two blocks from the site of the former World Trade Centre. The proposed building would not be visible from Ground Zero.

Obama acknowledged that "sensitivities" surrounded the 9/11 site, which he described as "hallowed ground", but he said Muslims had the same right to practice their religion "as anyone else".

In a speech at a White House dinner celebrating Ramadan, he said: "As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as everyone else in this country.

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community centre on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances.

"This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakeable."

The White House has not previously taken a stand on the mosque. Its press secretary, Robert Gibbs, has described the issue as a local matter.

Republicans including Sarah Palin, the former vice-presidential candidate, and Newt Gingrich, the Republican former speaker of the House of Representatives, have been vocal opponents of the scheme, describing it as an insult to the memory of those killed by Islamist terrorists in the 2001 attacks.

The president's support for the mosque was welcomed by New York City's mayor, Michael Bloomberg,, who described Obama's speech as a "clarion defence of the freedom of religion".

But some relatives of the victims of the 9/11 attacks were quick to condemn the president.

"Barack Obama has abandoned America at the place where America's heart was broken nine years ago, and where her true values were on display for all to see," said Debra Burlingame, a spokeswoman for some victims' families and the sister of one of the pilots killed in the attacks.

Building the mosque was "a deliberately provocative act that will precipitate more bloodshed in the name of Allah," she said.

Republican representative Peter King of New York added: "President Obama is wrong. It is insensitive and uncaring for the Muslim community to build a mosque in the shadow of Ground Zero."

While Obama's defence of the mosque might help him reach out to the Muslim world, it is unlikely to play well at home. A CNN poll this week found that nearly 70% of Americans opposed the mosque plan, while just 29% approved.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

- FoxNews.com

- August 14, 2010

Obama's Support for Ground Zero Mosque Draws Fire

President Obama is under fire after jumping into the middle of a cultural clash Friday night in favor of building a mosque near ground zero, a stance that has elevated the contentious issue to the presidential level ahead of a difficult election season for Democrats.

President Obama is under fire after jumping into the middle of a cultural clash Friday night in favor of building a mosque near ground zero, a stance that has elevated the contentious issue to the presidential level ahead of a difficult election season for Democrats.

Some victims' advocates and Republicans have strongly condemned Obama's support for the mosque, which would be part of a $100 million Islamic community center two blocks from where nearly 3,000 people perished when hijacked jetliners slammed into the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001.

"Barack Obama has abandoned America at the place where America's heart was broken nine years ago, and where her true values were on display for all to see," said Debra Burlingame, a spokeswoman for some Sept. 11 victims' families and the sister of one of the pilots killed in the attacks.

Building the mosque at ground zero, she said, "is a deliberately provocative act that will precipitate more bloodshed in the name of Allah."

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y said the president is "wrong."

"It is insensitive and uncaring for the Muslim community to build a mosque in the shadow of ground zero," he said in a written statement.

"While the Muslim community has the right to build the mosque, they are abusing that right by needlessly offending so many people who have suffered so much," he said. "The right and moral thing for President Obama to have done was to urge Muslim leaders to respect the families of those who died and move their mosque away from ground zero. Unfortunately, the president caved into political correctness."

Entering the highly charged election-year debate, Obama surely knew that his words would not only make headlines in the U.S. but be heard by Muslims worldwide. The president has made it a point to reach out to the global Muslim community, and the over 100 guests at Friday's dinner in the State Dining Room included ambassadors and officials from numerous nations where Islam is observed, including Saudi Arabia and Indonesia.

While his pronouncement concerning the mosque might find favor in the Muslim world, Obama's stance runs counter to the opinions of the majority of Americans, according to polls. A CNN/Opinion Research poll released this week found that nearly 70 percent of Americans opposed the mosque plan while just 29 percent approved. A number of Democratic politicians have shied away from the controversy.

Opponents, including some Sept. 11 victims' relatives, see the prospect of a mosque so near the destroyed trade center as an insult to the memory of those killed by Islamic terrorists in the 2001 attacks.

Former Republican Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania told Fox News that Obama seems to misunderstand that Islam is not just a religion, but also a political doctrine. He also said the mosque is being run by a man who accused the U.S. of being an accomplice in the Sept. 11 attacks.

Santorum compared the ground zero mosque to a minister who wants to builds a church near the location where the Rev. Martin Luther King was killed but preaches racial separation and the notion that King brought his death upon himself.

"I don't think Barack Obama would say, 'Well we have religious tolerance, we're going to allow them to do that,'" he said. "That is the wrong way to look at this. This is not whether it's a legal right to do it. People have legal rights to do a lot of things in this country."

"We have the will of the American public," he said, noting the polls show most oppose the mosque. The imam is "ignoring the will of the American public, as by the way, Barack Obama is by siding with him."

---------------------

Heard about this on the news this AM. Believe it or not, I'm surprised. Never thought he would go out on that limb.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
    Last Online

01.23.17 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, he IS a muslim right?
    ~ Strat God
    Check Out Strat God Music:
    http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Strat God View Post
    Well, he IS a muslim right?
    No, not that I know of.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Should be good for another 5 point slide in the polls. Does take the focus off the economy for a while.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

The Koran (018:021) states: 'Build a building over them, their Lord knows best about them;' and those who prevailed in their affair said, 'We will surely make a mosque over them.'
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

I still love how, in my eyes, the point is being missed here.

The actual act of building a Mosque, a place of WORSHIP, is what is drawing all the fire and animosity from everybody.

But nobody is pissed off about the fact that they picked the anniversary of 9/11 to break ground on it.

That's what would piss me off. That's more of a spit in the face to me, if I was a NY-er or an American.

The actual Mosque going up wouldn't really bother me.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Does this guy have advisors or what? Way to have your finger on the pulse of the American people, O.....
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:59 PM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

Obama is 100% right in what he said. Terrible move politically though, probably best for him to have avoided the topic.

On Fire Rare Painful Side Effect's Avatar
    Last Online

07.08.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't believe in god, but I do in property rights. It's their property. They should be able to do with it what they want, as long as it's within zoning restrictions. What power does Obama have over it, anyway? Some republican's have pretty selective views of property rights. Why I don't vote for them, anymore. Straight ticket libertarian.

Apparently, some people have a right to put their religious icons on public property, but these people can't even put theirs on property they own. Unless politicians want the government to seize it, they should STFU.

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I still love how, in my eyes, the point is being missed here.

The actual act of building a Mosque, a place of WORSHIP, is what is drawing all the fire and animosity from everybody.

But nobody is pissed off about the fact that they picked the anniversary of 9/11 to break ground on it.
    It's a point I made in this post.

The only thing surprising about Obama's comments is that he didn't make them sooner. Why has he remained quiet about this... Until a White House dinner, celebrating Ramadan? Can you say, "tone deaf?" I knew you could.

He would have to be the most naive man alive to honestly believe what he said regarding the matter. What he is, though, is disingenuous. He knows full well that this is not a matter of "religious freedom." No one's saying muslims can't build a mosque in NYC. No one's calling for mosques already built to be torn down. This isn't anti-muslim bias.

Fuck that jive.

Everyone knows what's going on here. This particular group of muslims is rubbing our collective face in this like you'd rub a dog's nose in shit. Why? Because they can. And they know it. Much like the hijackers of 9/11, they are using our laws and freedoms against us. To open this mosque on the anniversary of the attacks... Really? That's a way to 'build bridges?'

No, that's the way to burn them.

Do some research on the imam, Feisal Abdul Rauf. He's a shifty character of dubious intent. That Obama's State Department is sending this clown on a 'speaking tour' to islamic countries should tell you how FUBAR'd our government is.

As if we needed further evidence...
    Last edited by Down In Flames; 08.14.10 at 10:28 AM.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I wonder what would happen if someone offered this group a building of equal size and value in another part of the city for exchange - would they take it? Wish someone would do it, because that would for sure clarify their true intentions.

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Our joke of a governor, David Patterson, offered to have the mosque built elsewhere. Supposedly, the developers have rejected the idea although they haven't made an official statement.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,333 Times in 3,181 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Apparently Obama is going for broke here. He's already fucked up the oil spill situation,the economic situation or lack thereof and now this? Hope he enjoys this term because he won't get another one. We have two more years of his bullshit and I'm in fear that he is going to fuck our country up beyond repair. God help us all.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 794 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

This is America and it's their legal right to build the mosque, yeah I get that. But there's rights and then there gross abuse of rights, and it's obvious that they're building this mosque for the sake of their greater "jihad" (breaking ground on 9/11. wtf!!!). And don't give me another fucking definition of what "jihad" means and tell me how peaceful that word is. That's bullshit.

Islam's goal is to destroy the West. I don't care what you might think your Muslim neighbors think or what they tell you. You think they're gonna tell you what they heard being spewed behind the scenes at their local mosque, or even from the pulpit there? Bullshit. They're told to deceive you. The Koran tells them to deceive you of their true intent. In the very verse just before it says to build a mosque over the non-believers.

Look....

"[18:19]..behave with gentleness, and by no means make your case known to any one: (deceive them of your intentions)
    [18.20] For surely if they prevail against you they would stone you to death or force you back to their religion, and then you will never succeed."

The Koran (018:021) states: 'Build a building over them, their Lord knows best about them;' and those who prevailed in their affair said, 'We will surely make a mosque over them.'
    Yep, it's in there alright. And the context which that text is placed in the Koran is real fun too.
    Look at the context....

[18.19] Now send one of you with this silver (coin) of yours to the city, then let him see which of them has purity, so let him bring you provision from it, and let him behave with gentleness, and by no means make your case known to any one: (deceive them of your intentions)
    [18.20] For surely if they prevail against you they would stone you to death or force you back to their religion, and then you will never succeed.
    And do not follow him whose heart We have made unmindful to Our remembrance, and he follows his low desires and his case is one in which due bounds are exceeded.

--- ("Build a mosque on top of them" verse 18:21 here) ---
    Followed by...

Surely We have prepared for the iniquitous a fire, the curtains of which shall encompass them about; and if they cry for water, they shall be given water like molten brass which will scald their faces; evil the drink and ill the resting-place.

Surely (as for) those who believe and do good, We do not waste the reward of him who does a good work. ("Him who does a good work" in this case meaning those who destroyed the WTC on 9/11. Not building a mosque on that site would be a waste of the reward of him who did that "good work" of blowing up the WTC).

[18.31] These it is for whom are gardens of perpetuity beneath which rivers flow, ornaments shall be given to them therein of bracelets of gold, and they shall wear green robes of fine silk and thick silk brocade interwoven with gold, reclining therein on raised couches; excellent the recompense and goodly the resting place."

Oh their sweet reward for killing us all. This is their Holy War.

Wake up people!
    Last edited by Wruff_ajax; 08.14.10 at 12:11 PM.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_