Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Default My latest Ibanez project

wanted to do something different from a JEM

Got a mint, looks off the shelf, RG1570 mirage red body for $50 on ebay...
    so started my usual ebaying for mint items to match.

got what looks like a never played custom shop prestige neck
    edge lo pro trem, also looks brand new.
    ibanez wiring and comso hardware
    new paf pros and HS-2 pickups

the 1570 goes for 990 new, I will have about 600 into it, but with better pickups.
    so probably about what you could get a used one for, but this should look and play like
    it just came off the shelf I hope.

I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 41 Times in 12 Posts

Can't wait to see it done.

I decided to learn guitar this year (tired of the air-guitar after 39yrs!)
    Not knowing anything, I picked up an '91 Ibanez EX for $150.
    I'm already seeing limitations in the first months of use.
    Do you think it's worth swapping out the pickups and trying to install a Floyd Rose (I would need to router to make one fit, since it's not standard)...
    Or does it make more sense to start with a better equipped guitar from the start?
    Finally trying to pick up guitar after too many years.
    Chickenfoot Rocks.
    .|
    /|\

Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

routing a floyd (or edge) into one is no easy task..

a million opinions about starter guitars out here, but I will say this, if its to cheap, you may get frustrated and may not be your fault.

my advice would be to get a better guitar when you can and THEN start to mess with the one you have and see what you can do with it, that way if ya fuck it up, it wasnt your main ax.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Ok,
    Thanks for the advice...
    I do find it very buzzy (which I know is common problem for beginners).
    But I think it's more that just me, as I read somewhere that it's an issue for this model.
    It was a good start..got me going, and I didn't want to spend much until I figured out if I'd even have time to learn...But I practice almost every day and I'm still having fun, so maybe I'll spring for a better guitar.
    I was looking at pedals as well (multi-effects, since I don't know what individual effects to get, I figured multi would allow me to figure that out), to add some different sounds, so maybe I'll upgrade the guitar first.
    Chickenfoot Rocks.
    .|
    /|\

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mcstravi View Post
    Ok,
    Thanks for the advice...
    I do find it very buzzy (which I know is common problem for beginners).
    But I think it's more that just me, as I read somewhere that it's an issue for this model.
    It was a good start..got me going, and I didn't want to spend much until I figured out if I'd even have time to learn...But I practice almost every day and I'm still having fun, so maybe I'll spring for a better guitar.
    I was looking at pedals as well (multi-effects, since I don't know what individual effects to get, I figured multi would allow me to figure that out), to add some different sounds, so maybe I'll upgrade the guitar first.
    if it's buzzy I'd take it to a reputable guitar store and have a full set-up done, it's not expensive and will improve the playing experience massively. As for pedals....A decent distortion/overdrive pedal, a delay, chorus and maye a reverb (if your amp doesn't already have reverb) also a tuner pedal is a great idea too. Just remember to take things slow to begin with and warm your hands up with some gentle exerscises (such as playing up and down the major scale for a few minutes) before trying to play any thing demanding, you'll get there and remember this place is full of great guys who are only happy to help when we can.
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 08.13.10 at 04:42 PM. Reason: its late, i just got off vacation and i spell like a 'tard!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Nice. Look forward to seeing you fire that bad boy up in the near future.

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    if it's buzzy I'd take it to a reputable guitar store and have a full set-up done, it's not expensive and will improve the playing experience massively. As for pedals....A decent distortion/overdrive pedal, a delay, chorus and maye a reverb (if your amp doesn't already have reverb) also a tuner pedal is a great idea too. Just remember to take things slow to begin with and warm your hands up with some gentle exerscises (such as playing up and down the major scale for a few minutes) before trying to play any thing demanding, you'll get there and remember this place is full of great guys who are only happy to help when we can.
    Great, I'll pack 'er up and take her to the shop!
    I've picked up some good warm-up exercises, so I'll keep going with that. I've already noticed improvement...it's hard when you start...you want to play all of the advanced stuff right away...but slow and steady will get me there eventually!
    Chickenfoot Rocks.
    .|
    /|\

Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

for 129 bucks, I swear by the line 6 pocket pod, can make any amp sound decent at a begginers level, with all major effects included. dist chorus delay etc..

can play thru headphones or amp.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...sor?sku=151065

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    for 129 bucks, I swear by the line 6 pocket pod, can make any amp sound decent at a beginers level, with all major effects included. dist chorus delay etc..

can play thru headphones or amp.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...sor?sku=151065
    Looks like a sweet little unit. I'll see if I can find it on a Canadian site or at the local shop to save the shipping/duty charges

A couple of used used caught my attention on my local used equip site:
    Boss GT-6,
    Line 6 Pod XT Live

I've seen them as low as $150, but so far they've been snapped up before I get my hands on them.
    Any opinions on them? They look like something that will last a few years and have plenty of effects.
    The guy at the local guitar shop, where I picked up my practice amp, suggested a Digitech unit...I think it was about $150 new.
    Chickenfoot Rocks.
    .|
    /|\

Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mcstravi View Post
    Looks like a sweet little unit. I'll see if I can find it on a Canadian site or at the local shop to save the shipping/duty charges

A couple of used used caught my attention on my local used equip site:
    Boss GT-6,
    Line 6 Pod XT Live

I've seen them as low as $150, but so far they've been snapped up before I get my hands on them.
    Any opinions on them? They look like something that will last a few years and have plenty of effects.
    The guy at the local guitar shop, where I picked up my practice amp, suggested a Digitech unit...I think it was about $150 new.
    I dont think you can go wrong with any line 6 POD, thru an amp or headphones. So the better model you can get for the money, go for it.. I have a POD 2.0 and the pocket pod, I use the 2.0 to record sometimes, but use the pocket one alot, to plug into a tiny amp built into a beer can, so I can practice at my work desk.

Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

my crappy camera keeps bluring... I will have my daughter get some good pics later, but heres one...

setup well, plays great. I still like the 570 neck a little better. These PAF pros are a little hot, I like the cleanness of the EVOs alittle better.. but still glad I went with something different.

It plays worth twice what I have into it and deffinately will get alot of play time.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    my crappy camera keeps bluring... I will have my daughter get some good pics later, but heres one...

setup well, plays great. I still like the 570 neck a little better. These PAF pros are a little hot, I like the cleanness of the EVOs alittle better.. but still glad I went with something different.

It plays worth twice what I have into it and deffinately will get alot of play time.

Looks good. I'm surprised you had the energy to finish it today, after that much beer last night! Sounds like you got the $3 ring sooner than you thought.
    Nothing to see here.