Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:59 PM
    Liked 1,326 Times in 796 Posts

Default 10 Medical Aid Workers Slaughtered by Muslims

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100807/...RpY2FsY2hhcmk-

Ten members of the Christian medical team — six Americans, two Afghans, one German and a Briton — were gunned down in a gruesome slaughter that the Taliban said they carried out, alleging the volunteers were spying and trying to convert Muslims to Christianity. The gunmen spared an Afghan driver, who recited verses from the Islamic holy book Quran as he begged for his life.

Team members — doctors, nurses and logistics personnel — were attacked as they were returning to Kabul after their two-week mission in the remote Parun valley of Nuristan province about 160 miles (260 kilometers) north of Kabul. They had decided to veer northward into Badakhshan province because they thought that would be the safest route back to Kabul, said Dirk Frans, director of the International Assistance Mission, which organized the team.

The bullet-riddled bodies — including three women — were found Friday near three four-wheeled drive vehicles in a wooded area just off the main road that snakes through a narrow valley in the Kuran Wa Munjan district of Badakhshan, provincial police chief Gen. Agha Noor Kemtuz told The Associated Press.

One of the dead Americans had spent about 30 years in Afghanistan, rearing three daughters and surviving both the Soviet invasion and bloody civil war of the 1990s that destroyed much of Kabul.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told the AP that they killed the foreigners because they were "spying for the Americans" and "preaching Christianity." In a Pashto language statement acquired by the AP, the Taliban also said the team was carrying Dari language bibles and "spying gadgets."

Frans said the International Assistance Mission, or IAM, one of the longest serving non-governmental organizations operating in Afghanistan, is registered as a nonprofit Christian organization but does not proselytize.

--------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps Obama would like to capture the thugs and bring them to America, and give them "rights" and then try them in the courts.

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

tragic.... these people put their lives on the line over and over for no reason other than to help the most needy....inconceivable that this happened to them, but it happens all the time in Africa, central and south American (remember the El Salvador nuns?) Bosnia and elsewhere

evil doesn't give a fig about the Geneva Convention, apparently

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Can I ask a simple question?

Why was the thread not titled "10 Medical Aid Workers Slaughtered by Taliban"?

I'm just curious.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Can I ask a simple question?

Why was the thread not titled "10 Medical Aid Workers Slaughtered by Taliban"?

I'm just curious.
    i was thinking the same thing, even hit "reply" to bring it up and then thought better of it...

Next time I find an article about someone being killed or a liquor store being robbed, perhaps I'll just post "liquor store robbed by Christian" or "family dies as a result of Christian drunk driver"

I suppose it will be just a moment or two before someone points out "well, they WERE muslim and they were acting on their beliefs as a radical muslim."

I'm as a cautious and wary of Muslim encroachment and birth rates as anyone else but yeah, this article certainly contributes to anti-muslim sentiment and the portrayal of muslims in general as being a bunch of blood thirsty savages.

The fact that this occurs here on the links where so many people are so very quick to accuse others of being racist, of painting with overly broad brushes, of inappropriate racial remarks or characterizations is more than a bit ironic...but perhaps that sort of race police mentality only applies to certain religions, races and ethnic groups.
    Last edited by broken9500; 08.09.10 at 12:53 PM.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:13 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

the religion of the killers is of importance when they allow the Muslim bus driver to live and kill all of the Christians.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    the religion of the killers is of importance when they allow the Muslim bus driver to live and kill all of the Christians.
    the religion of everyone involved in this is certainly a major factor however the headline "Medical workers killed by Taliban" is probably a better tag line. The taliban is obviously made up of crazy muslims so it would have easily and accurately conveyed that fact. By simply using "muslims" it perpetuates this notion that "muslims" not "taliban" are the enemy out there killing people.

Maybe that's exactly what the point was.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:13 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    the religion of everyone involved in this is certainly a major factor however the headline "Medical workers killed by Taliban" is probably a better tag line. The taliban is obviously made up of crazy muslims so it would have easily and accurately conveyed that fact. By simply using "muslims" it perpetuates this notion that "muslims" not "taliban" are the enemy out there killing people.

Maybe that's exactly what the point was.
    in most cases I would agree with you. On this one, I'm ok with the headline because of what specifically happened.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:02 AM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

You can't be a member of the Taliban without being a Muslim. Its like being a Southern Baptist and not being a Christian. Can't happen.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

I always thought it was crazy for Christian missionaries to be roaming around in Afghanistan. You knew that this was gonna happen. Can't be the first case since the West invaded their country.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:59 PM
    Liked 1,326 Times in 796 Posts

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Badakhshan_massacre

Islam is the monotheistic religion articulated by the Qur’an, a text considered by its adherents to be the verbatim word of God (Arabic: الله‎, Allāh), and by the Prophet of Islam Muhammad's teachings and normative example (which is called the Sunnah in Arabic, and demonstrated in collections of Hadith). Islam literally means "submission (to God)."

A Muslim is an adherent of the religion of Islam. Literally, the word means "one who submits (to God)". Muslim is the active participle of the same verb of which Islam is the infinitive.

Islamism is a set of ideologies holding that Islam is not only a religion but also a political system; that modern Muslims must return to their roots of their religion, and unite politically.

Another source distinguishes Islamist from Islamic "by the fact that the latter refers to a religion and culture in existence over a millennium, whereas the first is a political/religious phenomenon linked to the great events of the 20th century". Islamists have, at least at times, defined themselves as "Islamiyyoun/Islamists" to differentiate themselves from "Muslimun/Muslims".

Hope that clears that up for you.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post

Hope that clears that up for you.

Yes, putting it in italics really drove home your point. Muchas gracias.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

When it comes to the muslim/taliban thread title, there are conflicting reports as to who is actually responsible for the murders. The taliban claim responsibility but they've been known take credit for crimes they had nothing to do with in the attempt to up their street cred.

As for wiki... Any time I see a quote from wiki-anything (<--- for emphasis ) I dismiss it. If anyone can edit the content then, really, there is none.

The whole mentality behind wiki is dangerous. Yeah, in theory, it's nice to have a 'collaborative' effort... But shouldn't truth trump all?

Just imagine the likes of Eddymon going in and editing a wiki page about the moon landing - Belgians would have landed on Neptune, met E.T., cooked smores in zero gravity, Mike kicked Ed out of VH, dropped a nuke on Pandora, legalized hemp and authored the Dead Sea Scrolls.
    Last edited by Down In Flames; 08.10.10 at 05:20 AM.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Down In Flames View Post
    Just imagine the likes of Eddymon going in and editing a wiki page about the moon landing - Belgians would have landed on Neptune, met E.T., cooked smores in zero gravity, Mike kicked Ed out of VH, dropped a nuke on Pandora, legalized hemp and authored the Dead Sea Scrolls.
    Aw crap.... There goes my doctoral thesis...
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

A headline should give you the main jest of the story, not the subplot.

The headline of this thread is a cheap shot at Muslims and more of the fearmongering racist crap that is beginning to be more prevalent around here.

The story is Taliban fighters killing medical aid workers.
    Certainly most if not all Taliban are Muslims, but most Muslims are not Taliban, or Al Qaeda for that matter.

The fact that they let a Afghan bus driver live (who may or may not be a Muslim) doesnt justify this headline, and misses the fact that two of the dead workers were also Afghan.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis