Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Best 2 pt strat bridge?

Hey all, building a project guitar. I have a body that is compatible with the fender 2 pt system, but I am thinking of going aftermarket for the bridge cause ala Richie Blackmore I break screw in trem arms within a couple days of getting them. I'm not that hard on them but they seem to break anyway. I dont use it enough to need a floyd and supposedly you get better sound so what the hell.
    I've been looking into it any have found many options, like wilkinson, gotoh, mann made. Callaham makes some nice ones but they are all 6 pt.
    There is an amazing fisher piezo bridge at the LGS which is all machined and looks a shit load better than the american fender bridges, but I dont need the piezo.
    I just need a 2pt trem that fits the fender routs and is awesome. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help!

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

http://www.guitarfetish.com/USA-Stra...tem_p_775.html

or

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinso...ome_p_895.html

Great prices and quality above most others, a lot of the guys round here use their Floyd and it's a steal....check them out, they also offer plenty of finish options.

Tom
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

02.05.15 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love the Gotoh Made Wilkinsons!
    in combination with locking tuners and a graphite (or lsr) nut, it is even a great alternative for a Floyd rose!! (yes I do divebombs with wilkies! - without going out of tune)

the 2 point hipshot is next on my list to try.. I only heard good things about it.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:16 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    http://www.guitarfetish.com/USA-Stra...tem_p_775.html

or

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinso...ome_p_895.html

Great prices and quality above most others, a lot of the guys round here use their Floyd and it's a steal....check them out, they also offer plenty of finish options.

Tom
    I used to buy their P-90 humbuckers and they were pretty good.
    I have a Kramer that needs a Floyd, maybe i'll look into the GFS Floyds.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yup! for a step up conventional style trem, The Wilkinson type bridge is the way to go. Many of the models have a socket/pivot bushing type, or at very least, a fatter stronger, arm attachment. They are nicely designed as well overall. great machining, comfortable on your hand....look good too.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I found these really cool Gotoh made units, EV510's. Its like the normal 2 pt trem but the EV's have the material is build up on the sides of the base plate around the saddles like the EBMM Petrucci trems so it looks really comfortable. Only problem is NOBODY sells them in the states! lol.

The Wilky look good but a little small and the trem blocks look small. Do they sustain as well?

I have a GFS bridge on a yamaha now, its ok but I dont think i'll order another gfs bridge. I broke the bar right after getting it, and the first one they sent me was dented pretty badly at the pivot point.

Will a wilky work well flush mounted?

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VF5150 View Post
    I found these really cool Gotoh made units, EV510's. Its like the normal 2 pt trem but the EV's have the material is build up on the sides of the base plate around the saddles like the EBMM Petrucci trems so it looks really comfortable. Only problem is NOBODY sells them in the states! lol.

The Wilky look good but a little small and the trem blocks look small. Do they sustain as well?

I have a GFS bridge on a yamaha now, its ok but I dont think i'll order another gfs bridge. I broke the bar right after getting it, and the first one they sent me was dented pretty badly at the pivot point.

Wilkinsons sustain very well. As far as I know, they're pretty much all forged units; no cast tone sucking donkeys. The knife edges last forever, and though some of the designs may look a little space age minimalistic, they are very balanced and are very comfortable. Finish on them is also top notch. Chrome is excellent. Flush mounted......don't see why not. I had a Wilkinson on a Strat as a replacement for a six screw vintage, and aside from doweling and redrilling for the 2 pt., it worked flawlessly. I always set up my guitars flush. it all depends on the neck though. If you neck sit's too high or low in the pocket, your saddle adjustments will be rediculously high or low. In either case, it's not ideal. May have to shim or do what Jimi's illustrated in the past and reverse shim for peace of mind, but I don't think you'll have to if your guitar is already set up for flush mounting, especially if it came set up for a Fender 2 pt. There's enough models of Wilkinson that one will jump out at you.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 08.10.10 at 02:09 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I checked the warmoth website and they say they can install a wilkonson if you order it from them for 10 bucks. I got the body from warmoth, to bad I didnt know that and ordered an american rout.
    I was about to get a wilkinson one but I got offered a great price on a Gotoh (not the EV but the standard base plate) so I went with that. It is a great looking trem and has a nice thick arm so I'm sure it will be good. I just dont like the thin trem arm on those fender bridges!

-chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I checked the warmoth website and they say they can install a wilkonson if you order it from them for 10 bucks. I got the body from warmoth, to bad I didnt know that and ordered an american rout.
    I was about to get a wilkinson one but I got offered a great price on a Gotoh (not the EV but the standard base plate) so I went with that. It is a great looking trem and has a nice thick arm so I'm sure it will be good. I just dont like the thin trem arm on those fender bridges!
    Yeah, the Fender replacement arms have not been real great as of late either. I mean they've always had a little deflection being so thin, but I swear, I've gone through four in the past year and a bit. Two broke off right at the beginning of the threads, one just stripped, and the fourth broke down inside the block, and I couldn't get the sucker out. Had to get a new block, but I ended up getting an Allparts arm, and it seems at least so far to be a little stronger, though, I'm a little gentler with them now.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Thats a surprise, usually their stuff is of really high quality, their Floyd is one of the best replacement Floyd's i have used
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Yeah, the Fender replacement arms have not been real great as of late either. I mean they've always had a little deflection being so thin, but I swear, I've gone through four in the past year and a bit. Two broke off right at the beginning of the threads, one just stripped, and the fourth broke down inside the block, and I couldn't get the sucker out. Had to get a new block, but I ended up getting an Allparts arm, and it seems at least so far to be a little stronger, though, I'm a little gentler with them now.
    There must just be a limit to the materials. That bar is under a lot of stress when all the way down, just try pulling the bridge down with only your fingers. Using a lot of spring tension doesnt help. I went through 2 allpart meteric arms for my yamaha and now I have the GFS bridge and an american fender replacement arm which is holding up fine.

I'm glad this is a common theme cause they guys at the local guitar stores are all like "WTF? " when I tell them about my arm breaking habbit. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Thats a surprise, usually their stuff is of really high quality, their Floyd is one of the best replacement Floyd's i have used
    Maybe I was just unlucky. In general I like GFS stuff, by buddy has a VEH pickup in his agile les paul and its the shit. It was just that bridge, and also the first set of roller string trees I got in that order did not roll, that makes me kind off skeptical about QC and the grade of materials that they use. "steel" or "brass" is kind if a loose term. A GFS bridge is perfect for my mystery wood yamaha strat but I would not put one on a nice warmoth body. For that application its worth saving up a little longer.

I'd say the GFS stuff is a good value. Not the best if you are really looking for quality, but hey, they admit that.

-chefcraig on me