Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default The Great Western Movies thread

Garrett shot Billy the Kid down on July 14, 1881. Garrett tracked him after the outlaw escaped from the Lincoln County jail in a famous gunbattle that left two deputies dead.

The Kid's status as an Old West folk hero grew as countless books, films and songs were written about the gunslinger and his exploits. According to legend, he killed 21 people, one for each year of his life, but the New Mexico Tourism Department puts the total closer to nine.

The pardon dispute is the latest in a long-running fight over whether Garrett shot the real Kid or someone else and then lied about it. Some history buffs claim Billy the Kid didn't die in the shootout with Garrett and landed in Texas, where he went by "Brushy Bill" Roberts and died of a heart attack at age 90 in 1950.
    Last edited by billy007; 08.04.10 at 06:05 PM.
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovevh View Post
    Some history buffs claim Billy the Kid didn't die in the shootout with Garrett and landed in Texas, where he went by "Brushy Bill" Roberts and died of a heart attack at age 90 in 1950.
    My Dad had that book about Brushy Bill Roberts, I read it years ago. It was very interesting. I don't know if he was Billy but he must have hung out either with him or around the same area. Young Guns II was loosely based on his story.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    My Dad had that book about Brushy Bill Roberts, I read it years ago. It was very interesting. I don't know if he was Billy but he must have hung out either with him or around the same area. Young Guns II was loosely based on his story.
    First thing I thought of as I read the article. Actually a pretty damn good western, much better than the first Young Guns.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    First thing I thought of as I read the article. Actually a pretty damn good western, much better than the first Young Guns.
    you think so? It's a tough call for me. Both of them are required viewing whenever they come on TV and sometimes result in pulling out the videos to watch them in their entirety. I absolutely love both of those movies.

Naaavajo! Naaavajo!

Mexican greaser! You do it with your horse!!

Oh! I'm sorry! Tell me something Chavez... was it a Mexican whore puttin' it to the savages, or an Indian whore who put it to the whole God damned Mexican army!
    Last edited by broken9500; 08.02.10 at 07:56 AM.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    you think so? It's a tough call for me.
    Havent seen either flick in about 20 years but I just remember 2 as being so much more entertaining and feeling more like a serious Western as opposed to the first which felt like "Here's the hottest young stars of the 80's as cowboys!".

Wonder when the remake starring Justin Timberlake, that 'High School Musical" kid, Justin BeeBee, and "The Situation" is coming?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

sorry guys but you have it wrong. YGII was pretty much a made up story. there was a bushy bill who claimed to be the kid but the rest of the film is full of a ton of inaccuracies. Doc Szirlock (sp) never rode with billy after the initial lincoln county war. Chavez and Doc both lived a long life. the young kid that rides with the group and is killed by Garret was only a year younger than billy in real life. near the end of the film when the gang is ambushed and Doc is shot that actually happened to Charlier Bowdrie (the pugulist from the first movie).

Billy did get arrested and did escape pretty much as it is shown but almost everything else is totally fabricated.

Pat Garret was pretty much branded a coward after the story of how he "shot" billy got out.

Young Guns 1 was alot closer to reality, they embelleshed some things and combined the regulators (there were about 100 of them I think) into the main characters.

Tombstone is the best modern western BTW.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    sorry guys but you have it wrong. YGII was pretty much a made up story.
    Who said anything about historical accuracy? I just said II was more fun than I.

Hell, most 'historical' flicks embellishit their stories anyway.

and yes.....I made up a new word there.

Tombstone is the best modern western BTW.
    You wont get an argument from me on that one!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yep, Tombstone is my other favourite "modern" western.

I really don't care if they are historically accurate. They're damn good movies...and that's what I judge them on. If they were documentaries or biographies, then they'd suck.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

yep, Tombstone is my other favourite "modern" western.

I really don't care if they are historically accurate. They're damn good movies...and that's what I judge them on. If they were documentaries or biographies, then they'd suck.
    tombstone is almost right on actually (johhny ringo commited suicide, he wasn't killed by Doc Holiday or at least that's what they say).

they didn't use "old man clanton" casue the guy who was supposed to play him hurt himself and they rewrote him out of the movie but it's pretty close. the fight at the OK corral is almost right on.

I know there are somethings that are not right but I'd have to look it up to be honest with you.

I'm fascinated by all that stuff for some reason.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Tombstone and Unforgiven are the best two modern westerns. Val Kilmer was great as Doc Holliday and Eastwood is just Eastwood. The guy could make a western now and it would be great.

I agree that the second flick was better than the original. I think that may be the only role that Estavez didn't annoy me.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

tombstone is almost right on actually (johhny ringo commited suicide, he wasn't killed by Doc Holiday or at least that's what they say).

they didn't use "old man clanton" casue the guy who was supposed to play him hurt himself and they rewrote him out of the movie but it's pretty close. the fight at the OK corral is almost right on.

I know there are somethings that are not right but I'd have to look it up to be honest with you.

I'm fascinated by all that stuff for some reason.
    me too. I spent a good three or four years studying the old west after the first Young Guns came out. It just really hit a chord with me and sent me to the library every weekend reading through dusty books and old microfilm and stuff. It was really fascinating how the characters from those movies and from Tombstone really "came to life" for me and sort of, I don't know, walked off the movie screen.

You know what I mean? That's where I think the real value of these sort of "based on a true story" type movies...in inspiring people to dig deeper into the story and learning more about history...at least for me, it's always been that way. I see a movie and I get inspired to go learn more about the subject and to find what they changed and what they didn't. Braveheart did that too...I spent months reading all sorts of things about William Wallace.

The History Channel has a show that airs every once in a while that compares movies like this to the actual events...it's a great way to spend an hour.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

I've done a ton of reading about this stuff-mostly wikipedia stuff so I don't know if that counts as actual research..lol.

I love the first young guns, I could never get into the second one for some reason.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've done a ton of reading about this stuff-mostly wikipedia stuff so I don't know if that counts as actual research..lol.

I love the first young guns, I could never get into the second one for some reason.
    haha...back in my day we didn't have some wikipedia thing! If we wanted to read we had to open a book! ...and we were damn happy to have it.

I enjoy the hell out of the second one...and incidently, the soundtrack has some of Jon Bon's finest work.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

HBO/SHOWTIME, which ever channel it is, is showing YG 1 & 2 every now and then. I can't switch the channel after they come on. I really liked Dirty Steve in the 1st movie. 2nd is pretty good, but I like the first one better, but only by a hair.

As for Tombstone, one of my most favorite Westerns of all time besides GB&U. Loved Kilmer as Holiday and Russell as Wyatt. Have any of you noticed that when Wyatt arrives on the train in the beginning of the movie, the car # is 5150??!! Same car # when they leave at night and Wyatt lays the smackdown on Ike. I always get chills down my spine when Wyatt does his rant as Ike scampers away at that moment. "You tell 'em I'm coming, and hells coming with me, you hear, hells coming with me."

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy, if he's on the street howitzer." One of my most favorite movie lines of all time...

Other western fav's besides, YGI & II, Tombstone, and the GB&U - Open Range, Unforgiven, Pale Rider, hell - any western with Big Clint in it...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

haha...back in my day we didn't have some wikipedia thing! If we wanted to read we had to open a book! ...and we were damn happy to have it.

I enjoy the hell out of the second one...and incidently, the soundtrack has some of Jon Bon's finest work.
    Blaze of Glory is a rockin' tune...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle