Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default "GUMS"! Guitar

Hey all.....Well she's finished!
    For those not familiar with the project, I took an old Aria ZZ body that my friend gave up on some 20 years ago, while trying to turn it into something like Ed's WACF Destroyer, and did something a little different.
    First....I wanted to give it the same vibe without being a replica or relic, and as the dimensions are quite different, I opted not doing a replica paint job was the right move. it still looks ver much VH though with the selector switch jerryrigged to the lower horn. The route and cavity didn't exist, so I had to carve it out.

In my previous thread, I reshaped the body..gave it new contours, radiused the scalloped edges, the works. "Gums came from what a fellow linker coined it do to it's lack of the "teeth" in the V notch. This came about from my nephew stopping me midstream while I was jigging it up to drill the teeth. He said he thought it looked cool as is......so I left it.

The paint is Duplicolor. The Floyd is an old Schaller. Neck from an old Kramer Focus 1000. I had ordered and installed an SD Pearly Gates bridge pickup....but it seemed to be lacking in the mids, so I went out today and got a Dimarzio Tone Zone. Man what a difference. Sounds much fuller.
    I did'nt relic it, but I wasn't gentle during assembly. No carefully masking areas I was working on, or soft surfaces to rest it on while screwing things down.......I wanted it to look a little raw, so there's a few dings, and scratches.....kinda gets the ball rolling to looking ratty! lol
    Anyway...to the pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    All in all, I'm pretty happy. I've still got a bit of adjusting to do. Wanna block the trem, and replace the locking nut blocks....slip a little, but other than that, she screams!
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 08.01.10 at 08:14 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

That looks awesome man!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Dude it looks fantastic, because of the radiused edges it almost looks like one of those inflatable guitars lol.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

01.19.14 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks amazing!
    Congrats!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 706 Times in 250 Posts

WOW! Gums turned out awesome! Paint & body shaping excellent - you did an amazing job!

I'm getting flashbacks from this movie - HA!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As Darth Vader said, "Impressive, most impressive..."
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Dude it looks fantastic, because of the radiused edges it almost looks like one of those inflatable guitars lol.
    Haha! Thanks! As long as it doesn't squeak when I play it! lol!
    Thanks guys. I just did the final intonation today now that the necks settled overnight. It's actually super comfortable to play with the radiused edges, so a bit of an added bonus. I'm real happy with the Tone Zone. I was a little freaked when I installed the Pearly Gates, and it sounded so trebly, but after I did some research on what other Explorer/star shaped guitarists used to compensate...the TZ was the logical choice. It plays well against the Gibson 57 Classic in the neck. You click the selector and it's got a defined difference, yet volume output is almost identical. The PG will go in another project.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 08.02.10 at 11:33 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I've always thought the Pearly Gates was a 'bright' sounding pickup anyway, it was probably too bright for that particular guitar because of the lack of mass around the bridge, but thats just a guess. The TZ is a monster pickup by comparison, much higher output, which is most likely why it sounds better. anyway, great work dude, it still looks like it should be full of helium!...lol
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, BOBW...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:20 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

WOW

Wow, most impressive! I always like guitars that are inspired by classic axes, and not out right copies. (those are cool as well)