Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Mold stain

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Mold stain

Anyone ever get a dark mold stain out of unfinished wood. I've used bleach and was thinking of trying lemon juice to get the rest of the stain out. Ideas?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stephenjay21 View Post
    Anyone ever get a dark mold stain out of unfinished wood. I've used bleach and was thinking of trying lemon juice to get the rest of the stain out. Ideas?
    Bleach is ok on surface stains. There is a two part bleaching agent you can get from specialty refinishing stores. it works very well, but it would depend on the depth of the stain, type of grain. if it's a tight grained wood, it can be a real bitch. What type of wood is it?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Birch Drum shell

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stephenjay21 View Post
    Birch Drum shell
    Hmmm. Birch can be tough due to it's very light colour and it has a very linear tight grain. I've heard lemon juice can work because the natural acids break up the binding properties of the spores. To remove the trace staining, the two part will be the way to go. You'll have to open the grain slightly using a scuff pad of some kind. Like a medium Scotchbrite. Then use the two part chlorine based stain remover. Keep in mind, this stuff is extremely caustic. The first time i used it...the first couple minutes were fine, but then the stuff roared to life, and I felt like my lungs were on fire. Not fun, so you need a lot of ventilation, and use a charcoal respirator. Even at that, I doubt all of the stain will come out.
    The only other alternative I know of is soft plastic media blasting. A guy who used to restore old kits used to bring in shells that had been stored in garages, or generally not cared for. Some even had rodent urine stains. They often contained stubborn mold stains. Our blaster used to use a plastic media that would not tear away material, and the shells came out pristine, and like new.
    Any way you could post some pics? I can run it by him and he can tell me which way to go.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.30.10 at 02:00 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfortunately I can't post pics (I don't know how to do that whole image hosting thing). The bleach did good job and I could just leave it, because it is the inside of the shell. I am going try lemon juice first. If that doesn't work, I will try a more in depth method. I am trying a "less is more" approach with this.