Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:11 PM
    Liked 238 Times in 60 Posts

Default New amp... decisions needed!

Hey guys.
    I've had my Marshall Solid State Half stack HDFX for about 3 years now. Several guitars later, it's the same amp. I think since my guitars are getting pricier, what's good if it doesn't sound good? I know most of it is in the hands and I practice just exercises and such for like 3 hours daily. (yes I have a lot of free time LOL). Now I'm in the ball park for about $1400 or less for a head. I want tube obviously, lol. I play EVH and 80's metal/rock (Ratt, malmsteen, ozzy, KISS, ya know)..
    Now I was doing some research about a plexi clone. Metro amp sells an EVH kit, which gives you the brown sound... heres a video..

it's $1425 shipped. it sounds awesome to my ears. comes with a variac like Ed's.
    Choice #2.... Peavey 5150 head. I hear mixed reviews on these..
    plus I never get a good vibe off it, I've never played it, only saw it once at GC a couple years ago.
    Choice #3.. Peavey 5150 COMBO. I hear the louder they are they better they sound. I play a bedroom level 4ish on my marshall which is plenty loud. I guess I could go louder. Let me know what you guys recommend. I've been searching a lot this last year, I can't pin point the right amp. So I'm calling the experts. I would just go and try them, but my local stores don't carry much. It's all "special order"

Thanks bros.

Nick

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

also going to Add in a 5150 III cab and head. Let me know what you guys think.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm seriously considering an Egnater Renegade. Played one in store recently and was very impressed...My $.02
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

if you are only playing at home the stay away from high power tube amps, honestly, you'll never get them to sound good at low volumes. you need to drive the power amp tubes and back the preamp gain back otherwise you'll just get a fizzy 'buzzsaw' tone. my suggestion would be to get something like a 5-15 watt tube amp (orange tiny terror or a blackstar ht-5 would be perfect) and save your spare cash, you can always upgrade later.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    if you are only playing at home the stay away from high power tube amps, honestly, you'll never get them to sound good at low volumes. you need to drive the power amp tubes and back the preamp gain back otherwise you'll just get a fizzy 'buzzsaw' tone. my suggestion would be to get something like a 5-15 watt tube amp (orange tiny terror or a blackstar ht-5 would be perfect) and save your spare cash, you can always upgrade later.
    +1

I agree. You won't get good distortion tones with tube amp unless you can push the tubes, and the higher the wattage, the louder it has to be to do that. This also has to do with headroom as well.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

would the same apply to the 5150III? So I'd be better off with the Combo then?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrbond5150 View Post
    would the same apply to the 5150III? So I'd be better off with the Combo then?
    Yeah, That amp is loud as hell. And even a combo doesnt mean its going to be quiet either.
    the 5150/6505 combos have to be loud as hell as well to get good tone.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

If you aren't leaving the house with it and it's just for playing quietely at home, then you should consider a modelling amp.

Something like a Vox vt50, 30, or 15

The new Spider IV or Spider Valve II

Fender Superchamp xd

If you really need a tube amp, I've had a lot of success with my Traynor YCV 50 Blue. It has a channel volume on each channel so I'm able to crank the master and control the overall volume with the channel volume. It really does sound quite good at very low volumes. Sounds tremendous the louder you turn it.

I also have a 5150 head and it took a lot of work for me to get it sounding good at low volumes. It wasn't very practical, I can explain it in more detail if you'd like, but if you are going with a tube amp, I would stick with some lower wattage ones. There are a bunch that can sound quite good at low volumes.

Check out the new Blackstar line. As someone already mentioned, the Ht-5 is a good choice but the newer 20, 40, and 60 watt combos are supposed to be very good as well. Not too expensive either.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

How loud are we talking here for these tubes? Maybe I can sound proof my room. LOL. But no kidding, I'll look into soundproofing this puppy. I need a tube. It's not me who is bothered by the sound, its the family. I'm only 17 so I can take it. Plus, I don't know the future, I could wind up in a band, not sure. Thanks for the opinions. I'm leaning toward the 5150III or the combo.
    Metro is pulling the evh parts in their kits, so a plexi is out the window...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You can't sound proof a room after the fact, it has to be done during the initial construcion. Also soundproofing is a very expensive anyways, like 300 bucks a square foot or something outrageous like that. either way, it'll be more expensive than whatever amp you end up buying.

edit: and as far as loudness goes, its deafening. I have an old ass Fender PA 135 head, thats 135 watts, and that thing is either loud or really loud. Same with my Peavy Vypyr tube 65. on The fender is loud at like 4 out of 10, and the peavey is loud at 4 out of 13, if that gives you any perspective as to how loud it could get.
    Last edited by psrajam91; 07.27.10 at 08:07 PM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

great.... sooo. um.... what are my options here then if all these amps are too loud?

EDIT: I remember Ed saying he used to take a piece of foam to fit over his cab to help people in the front row retain hearing after the show, but we know Ed and his stories...
    So if I did this would it cut down?
    Last edited by mrbond5150; 07.27.10 at 09:03 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

great.... sooo. um.... what are my options here then if all these amps are too loud?

EDIT: I remember Ed saying he used to take a piece of foam to fit over his cab to help people in the front row retain hearing after the show, but we know Ed and his stories...
    So if I did this would it cut down?
    you will not be able to take a 50-100watt amp in a small room, the volume is incredible. if you are instistant on getting a tube amp them go for a low output type such as the Orange Tiny Terror (15watts switchable to 7watts) or the Blackstar HT-5 stack (5watts) they will be plenty loud enough, infact i doubt you'll be able to fully crank either of them if you're in your bedroom, they also both offer fantastic tone and are affordable, if you want more drive/gain buy a decent overdrive/distortion pedal with the money you've saved.
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 07.27.10 at 11:25 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How loud are we talking here for these tubes? Maybe I can sound proof my room. LOL. But no kidding, I'll look into soundproofing this puppy. I need a tube. It's not me who is bothered by the sound, its the family. I'm only 17 so I can take it. Plus, I don't know the future, I could wind up in a band, not sure. Thanks for the opinions. I'm leaning toward the 5150III or the combo.
    Metro is pulling the evh parts in their kits, so a plexi is out the window...
    Ok, I'll chime in....

Any large all-tube head is gonna be louder than you can imagine -- honestly. 50 watter, 100 watter, 120 watter, etc., they will all be equally loud. A 50 watt amp is only about 3dB's quieter than a 100 Watt amp so you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference at full volume... watts are not linear in measure, so a 50 watt amp IS NOT half as loud as a 100 watter.

And I can't stress this enough, you CAN'T just take the noise and tough it out. Anyone that tries that WILL go deaf sooner or later. I'm 21 and loud noise doesn't bother me much, but these amps are another story in a small or even decent sized enclosed space. An ultra loud car stereo most of the time doesn't have even close to the impact on your hearing that a 100 watt head does, due to the concentrated midranges of a guitar amp. Go to guitar center or wherever and plug into an all tube head.... turn it up to just 20%-30% master volume and try sitting in front of it and playing. It might be cool for a minute or 2, but it will wear on ya.

I have a 5150 head that I record with, and I've owned 3 different 5150 combos. I also have a custom 100 watt amp that is kinda like a Soldano.... any of those amps can be used for bedroom use, but they don't sound that great at low volume. So naturally you want to crank them.

But when you do that even a little, these amps are capable of putting out plenty of dB's to make you go deaf very quickly. When I record, I crank my amps way up -- I have a large studio that I record in, and I isolate the speaker cab, and it's far away from me, and it still PHYSICALLY drains me to record for even half an hour at those volumes where the amp sounds good. I even wear extreme isolation headphones while recording and the noise impact on your body is still intense enough to make you feel tired or even unpleasent at times.

When Ed was doing this, you have to remember it wasn't in his bedroom -- he was out playing shows where the sound could be dispursed a bit. Now, I'm sure he's pretty hard of hearing anyway from it, but remember he wasn't sitting in front of his amp 3 feet away noodling around all day at full volume.

If you don't wanna take our word for it, listen to Paul Gilbert... he talks in numerous interviews about how he ruined his precious hearing cranking amps back in the day... now he wears the same protective headphones I do everywhere -- even on stage because he doesn't want to further damage his hearing.

So you need to decide -- can you live with a worse 'quiet tone' from a tube amp like a 5150 turned down enough to be useable in your room, but then you could use it live, or do you want to have decent tone at all volumes? In the second case, get a modeling amp or a lower wattage tube amp.

On a side note, my friend's little 5-7 watt valve junior amp (not recommended) can keep up pretty well volume wise with my 5150 when it's not totally cranked in a live practice setting.... so even a small wattage tube amp can cut really well.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

thanks for the really detailed reply! Before that, I really thought I could tough it out, but apparently I can't. I've read hot plates can turn the volume down while keeping the same tone. any experience with that?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Lately, a 15 Watt Peavey Vypyr has been more than enough for my home playing... go figure...
    WGAF?!!