Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Default EBMM Roasted Maple Necks

Has anyone seen the Balls that will be offered with Roasted Maple Necks over at EB, they are fucking hot. You can order almost any guitar with them and they will have an ebony board but only will be available in one color - Black Sugar with black pick guard ,which is pretty hot in my book though I wish they would of been available on any color, also no floyds. There is a $400 upcharge on the guitar and it is only going to have a one month run of August. I have to admit I am sold and I am going to go for an HH AL. Check them out if you did not already!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Could you imagine the Ad copy?
    "Get your Ball's Roasted!"
    Emerse yourself in the feel of Hot Black Sugar!
    So hot....You'll swear these Balls are on Fire!
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.27.10 at 09:16 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Wow , $400 . I will be blunt. That price is insane. Sterling ball is up to his old marketing tricks. Ya know the, limited guitars, the limited paint jobs, signature guitar only available in this color for this year with these options, you can only have this radius on this model because that is the way the artis wants it, No exceptions, dargie delights ( guitar with martini glassed in the fretboard ) ugly ass flip flop paint jobs. Discontinue colors just so you are forced to buy the new ones, and then because it is announced it is being discontinued people will run out and buy them in a " rush ". Produce colors and options for the asian market and not offer it here in the USA. Example : trans pink that people in the states have been wanting on the axis have found out that it is available ..............only in Asia ..........Oh and they offer trans black on the axis SS , but not the regular Axis model. Like it is too much trouble. there are at least a hundred more example of ridiculous restrictions. Sterling tells people they offer so much as it is what he is really saying is this is how he and his team are now herding his customer base into buying whatever he chooses fit.

It just goes on and on since Sterling has run that place. Reminds me when they were charging $500 for and upgraded " top " . When sales were not good for that, they got you anyway by funneling all there best wood into the BRF model with a higher price tag. So they got it anyway ! Ya know the guitar with the BFR badge at the 12th fret that people tell me they can't stand. I mean how many places can you put your company logo on a guitar they have it in 4 places, the neck plate, the bridge, the 12th fret, the headstock............... Oh and the case.

" cooked " or stabilized wood is nothing new. It has been done for many years. Ernie ball is jumping on the bandwagon now that it has become popular from the small builders circuit and other industries. $400 for that process on 1 neck is legalized theft. Just like the $500 for an 1/8" maple top............. I repeat $500 for one single figured top. I have been charging less than half of that for premium hand picked pieces.
    It seems the only guitar worth buying anymore is there first guitar, the silouette............... if they offer it in black and white .

The days of getting what you want in your guitar seems to be in the past.

So, $400 for a stabilized piece of wood...............

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    Wow , $400 . I will be blunt. That price is insane. Sterling ball is up to his old marketing tricks. Ya know the, limited guitars, the limited paint jobs, signature guitar only available in this color for this year with these options, you can only have this radius on this model because that is the way the artis wants it, No exceptions, dargie delights ( guitar with martini glassed in the fretboard ) ugly ass flip flop paint jobs. Discontinue colors just so you are forced to buy the new ones, and then because it is announced it is being discontinued people will run out and buy them in a " rush ". Produce colors and options for the asian market and not offer it here in the USA. Example : trans pink that people in the states have been wanting on the axis have found out that it is available ..............only in Asia ..........Oh and they offer trans black on the axis SS , but not the regular Axis model. Like it is too much trouble. there are at least a hundred more example of ridiculous restrictions. Sterling tells people they offer so much as it is what he is really saying is this is how he and his team are now herding his customer base into buying whatever he chooses fit.

It just goes on and on since Sterling has run that place. Reminds me when they were charging $500 for and upgraded " top " . When sales were not good for that, they got you anyway by funneling all there best wood into the BRF model with a higher price tag. So they got it anyway ! Ya know the guitar with the BFR badge at the 12th fret that people tell me they can't stand. I mean how many places can you put your company logo on a guitar they have it in 4 places, the neck plate, the bridge, the 12th fret, the headstock............... Oh and the case.

" cooked " or stabilized wood is nothing new. It has been done for many years. Ernie ball is jumping on the bandwagon now that it has become popular from the small builders circuit and other industries. $400 for that process on 1 neck is legalized theft. Just like the $500 for an 1/8" maple top............. I repeat $500 for one single figured top. I have been charging less than half of that for premium hand picked pieces.
    It seems the only guitar worth buying anymore is there first guitar, the silouette............... if they offer it in black and white .

The days of getting what you want in your guitar seems to be in the past.

So, $400 for a stabilized piece of wood...............
    When you put it that way, I'd rather buy stuff from you!
    Whats a standard MM EVH style guitar cost if I get one through you?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

Well................there is an upcharge Of $400 just to talk to me !!

I will PM you tomorrow at some point.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Hey Scott,
    Before I start, I just want to say that I respect you, and what you do, and even though I have no "hands on" experience with your pieces, they always seem to be top notch.

I also feel that I should be up-front, and describe myself as an EBMM "Fan-Boy", or apologist, or whatever you feel is the most appropriate description.

Let me start by saying that, while you may be correct about the "true cost" of building these options onto the guitar, the true cost has very little to do with the price. The price is going to be determined by what the customer is willing to pay for the option. If there is no market for the option at the price the manufacturer has set, he will either lower the price, or stop offering the option. The manufacturer doesn't need to justify the price for the option so that is proportional to the true cost.

Sterling Ball has always made it clear that he does not operate a custom shop. Right or wrong, he has decided that there will not be deviations from model to model, so you can't get a Petrucci profile neck on an Axis guitar. As far as colors go, he has always stated that the colors they offer, or don't offer are decided by demand. If he doesn't receive enough orders for a color for an extended period of time, they drop it. There may be more of a demand for Trans Pink in the Asian market, I don't know.

I think it's unfair to categorize EBMM as the Evil Corporate Moster. Sure, they have different marketing ideas that they charge extra money for. That is a part of remaining competitive in business. Scott, you have the benefit of creating high quality musical instruments at your leisure, and on your schedule. You don't have to be responsible making payroll for your employees. It's just a different reality. In the face of this reality, I think that EBMM has done the best job out of all the other guitar manufacturers of offering the very best consistent quality, at the lowest possible price. Even if you order the upgrades on the EBMM stuff, it still costs far less than a PRS or a Les Paul, or even an EVH Wolfgang. They aren't cranking out guitars and forcing dealers to take them, like Fender or Gibson.

EBMM may not offer everything that we think they should for options, but that's what makes guys like you so valuable. If I wanted to have an EBMM with options that I couldn't get from the manufacturer, I wouldn't have a second thought about having you build it. The fact of the matter is, when you compare the EBMM company against the other major players in the game, I think they are far superior in their instruments, price, customer service, and business model.

Peace.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Hey Scott,
    Before I start, I just want to say that I respect you, and what you do, and even though I have no "hands on" experience with your pieces, they always seem to be top notch.

I also feel that I should be up-front, and describe myself as an EBMM "Fan-Boy", or apologist, or whatever you feel is the most appropriate description.

Let me start by saying that, while you may be correct about the "true cost" of building these options onto the guitar, the true cost has very little to do with the price. The price is going to be determined by what the customer is willing to pay for the option. If there is no market for the option at the price the manufacturer has set, he will either lower the price, or stop offering the option. The manufacturer doesn't need to justify the price for the option so that is proportional to the true cost.

Sterling Ball has always made it clear that he does not operate a custom shop. Right or wrong, he has decided that there will not be deviations from model to model, so you can't get a Petrucci profile neck on an Axis guitar. As far as colors go, he has always stated that the colors they offer, or don't offer are decided by demand. If he doesn't receive enough orders for a color for an extended period of time, they drop it. There may be more of a demand for Trans Pink in the Asian market, I don't know.

I think it's unfair to categorize EBMM as the Evil Corporate Moster. Sure, they have different marketing ideas that they charge extra money for. That is a part of remaining competitive in business. Scott, you have the benefit of creating high quality musical instruments at your leisure, and on your schedule. You don't have to be responsible making payroll for your employees. It's just a different reality. In the face of this reality, I think that EBMM has done the best job out of all the other guitar manufacturers of offering the very best consistent quality, at the lowest possible price. Even if you order the upgrades on the EBMM stuff, it still costs far less than a PRS or a Les Paul, or even an EVH Wolfgang. They aren't cranking out guitars and forcing dealers to take them, like Fender or Gibson.

EBMM may not offer everything that we think they should for options, but that's what makes guys like you so valuable. If I wanted to have an EBMM with options that I couldn't get from the manufacturer, I wouldn't have a second thought about having you build it. The fact of the matter is, when you compare the EBMM company against the other major players in the game, I think they are far superior in their instruments, price, customer service, and business model.

Peace.
    You don't come across as an apologist at all. I do understand where you are coming from.

I would not classify ernie ball as a corporate monster either. I was basically pointing out there specific approach to marketing. Their specific deck of cards and how they shuffle them. Hey your right they can charge whatever and do whatever they want. Live by the sword , die by the sword.

Actually I don't have less responsibility then them. It is just on a different scale right now for me. When my other guitar line gets bigger, I still will live by the same philosophy. I always have. Give people what they want if possible. Not what I think is convenient. Keep option pricing REALISTIC. In the end it is about the majority customer not a narrow base or signature players. Not creating a false market or overpriced one. Hey we will find out, maybe everybody will be paying $400 for vulcanized maple
    I don't just build at my leisure. I have a responsibility to a customer just as much as they do. To get a guitar done in a reasonable time frame and make money at the same time. I realize that some don't think that way, but that is why they don't last and are not capable of running a business. The EVH knock off stuff is just side stuff for me. You can't make a " real " business making knockoffs in my opinion.

So., know doubt ernie ball is quality and always has been.

Oh and just for the record on a side note, because I know this has been discussed at the ernie ball forum other forums before. I also run into people all the time that believe it too, is the Ernie ball company did not invent the 4 + 2 headstock or the Rear Pinwheel truss rod adjust at the heel. They copied it from other luthiers in the past. Just say'n

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

why do they not offer the Floyd Rose option with these necks?....seems kinda suspect to me
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Hey Scott,

I didn't mean any offense suggesting you build guitars at your leisure. The point I was trying to make, possibly unsuccessfully, was that it's different when you are responsible only to yourself for the success or failure of your business. It gets more complicated when you have a larger overhead, and your decisions effect the livelyhoods of numerous other families.

You have a unique perspective on price, and what things really cost to produce. All the major manufacturers are raping us on price vs. cost, because most of us don't have your insight on the industry. My point was only that, compared to what other companies are doing, EBMM is offering an extremely high quality product, at a fair price (relatively speaking). I'm a huge fan of their customer service, and their approach to production.

If you would have been railing against Fender, Gibson, or possibley even PRS, I would probably agreed with you. Especially FMIC. For what they do, and the quality of their product, their prices are INSANE! $17k or a Frankie replica? $$2700 for a striped strat? $3200 for a Wolfgang? What about their "Artist" guitars? They build a strat, and silkscreen an artists name on it, and that makes it worth $1000 more? At least when you buy an artist guitar from EBMM, it is the artists unique designed guitar.

Sorry about the rant. Anyway, I don't disagree with you that EBMM isn't one of those, "The customer is always right" companies. There have been numerous questions to Sterling Ball about things like, "Why don't you make acoustics?", "Can I get an Axis Neck profile on an Albert Lee?", and "Can you make an Axis with 3 single coils?" His response has always implied that they have their niche, and they are comfortable with it. On occasion, he relents, and produces limited runs. He recently started the HH Albert Lee model, which is something he avoided for a long time.

Let me wrap up by saying that you are a class-act Scott. In the years that I've been here, I've seen alot of your work, and it all looks great. I appreciate your approach, and your perspective on pricing. I hope as your production grows, you can maintain that same philosophy.

Peace.

BTW: It doesn't matter who invents something, just who patents it. Just ask Nikola Tesla about the ass-reaming he got from Edison and Marconi.
    Last edited by nobozos; 08.13.10 at 10:28 AM.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.