Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default The Toothless Shark Attack!

Well.....after some time of pondering what I could do with a beat up, butchered 20 plus year old Aria ZZ guitar body I've had kicking around since '88... I got inspired this week.

Remember these?

20 years ago....my best buddy did this:
    [IMG][/IMG]

It was given to me by him after he gave up trying to mod it. I thought it kinda looked like Ed's Shark destroyer in a way, though it was somewhat different in it's lines, and it had real ugly beveled edges.....though it sounded good.
    During the week for fun I was thinking I should make a Shark type guitar.....though I'd change a few things given the body dimensions were not actually correct....So not a replica here guys....just a "for the hell" of it build.

Friday...I broke out the coping saw and sander......
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I radiused the ugly bevels, shortened and rounded the bottom horn, radiused the rear horn, and also radiused the lower bout at the jack. I was jigging everything up to drill the "teeth" or what was thought to be Eddie's chainsaw surgery on the V cutout....but my 16 yr. old nephew dropped by and saw what I was doing, and thought it looked cool the way it was......So that's why she's "toothless" lol! Looking at it now I agree...though I'll still add turnbuckles. Gotta have those! Rats it up a little.

Then hit it with Duplicolor..........
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Note the neck is not an aria ;it's off an old Kramer Focus. The Hockey stick neck just looks right. I'll need to redo the headstock....this was some kramer red (Or close to it) Duplicolor I had lying around.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    There's still some I have to do.....I was gonna use the original Attack bridge....but since I had this old Schaller Floyd around, along with the Kramer neck I'll use it. Saturday I ordered a pearly Gates Humbucker for the bridge, and picked up a SD 59 for the neck. Will finish up this week.
    I had'nt striped a guitar in years....forgot how fun it was!
    Updates soon.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

WOW! that looks really really nice! I bet that thing is going to scream once you install the new pickups. Its almost like a modernized version of the shark.

I think its cooler when people take some liberties with the striping, like what I did with my 5150-style guitar i built exactly a year ago.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:19 PM
    Liked 707 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I think some of the excitement about creating or painting a guitar is lost if you have to constantly compare it to an existing version. You kept yours original - GREAT job! Since it's "toothless" you could always refer to it as "Gums" - Ha!

How much did that body weigh before the transformation?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psrajam91 View Post
    WOW! that looks really really nice! I bet that thing is going to scream once you install the new pickups. Its almost like a modernized version of the shark.

I think its cooler when people take some liberties with the striping, like what I did with my 5150-style guitar i built exactly a year ago.

Thanks man! Your guitar looks great! On mine, you'll also notice I added the Explorer/Destroyer pickup selctor route. I always thought it looked bitchin' on Ed's Destroyer. Again....it's not exact, but given the guitars' dimensions are a bit smaller with more agressive angles, I had to make it look right, as well as be functional. If I ran it further down the horn, then the switch plate woudn't sit flat given the heavy radius I needed to eliminate the bevels.
    The guitar is made of alder. I have never heard it with the V notch cut out of it. I'm expecting it probably had the same effect it did on Ed's, so that's why I went with the Pearly Gates HB. Should compensate for any loss in the low end. I'm also making a larger brass block for the Floyd. Should help tons. It has a veneer on it which you'll notice on the 3rd. photo, but they did that alot on three piece bodies back in the day to eliminate seems from showing through. The only material I removed was on the edges.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    I think some of the excitement about creating or painting a guitar is lost if you have to constantly compare it to an existing version. You kept yours original - GREAT job! Since it's "toothless" you could always refer to it as "Gums" - Ha!

How much did that body weigh before the transformation?
    Gums! Haha! yeah...I thought about that! Hmmm...Real light actually. Could be because of alot of moisture loss in the wood. I'd say maybe 3, or 4 pounds? Maybe....Not sure. I do remember it stock, and thinking it was considerably heavier at one point. It had been sitting with that notch hacked out of it unsealed in the back of my closet for almost two decades. It's very warm in there because of a heating pipe running behind the wall. I'm thinking it'll be a tone monster. After i sanded it down, I did some tap tests, and it rings like a bell. You know what I mean right? You knock it and it has a real loud percussive sound. Should be cool! I'm hoping it'll have some nice harmonic feedback.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.26.10 at 07:55 AM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Dude it looks awesome,
    Let me know what you think to the pearly gates, i adore the pickup (as i've said many times in these threads) but it may be too 'low output' for a lot of the guys round here, but personally i hate hot pickups, the PG has a nice bright tone wit great harmonics, just a slightly overwound paf
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Dude it looks awesome,
    Let me know what you think to the pearly gates, i adore the pickup (as i've said many times in these threads) but it may be too 'low output' for a lot of the guys round here, but personally i hate hot pickups, the PG has a nice bright tone wit great harmonics, just a slightly overwound paf
    Thanks Tommy! Yeah I love the Pearly Gates. For my amps it's perfect. My 75 Marshall has enough gain where it saturates the preamp fine. My 5150.....nuff said. Super Distortion pickups too me sound bonk on high gain amps. What's the point? The whole reason they made em' in the first place was to compensate for weaker gain stages back in the day to get real tube distortion versus the kinda cold sound you got out of alot of the stompbox distortion units. (Tube Screamer excepted). I think it'll be cool. You'll notice that that Floyd has a D-Tuna I put on it 6 or 7 years ago. An added bonus for this guitar. I think it'll be a fun guitar. I doubt I'll gig with it, but for jamming and recording, I think she'll do fine.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well.....after some time of pondering what I could do with a beat up, butchered 20 plus year old Aria ZZ guitar body I've had kicking around since '88... I got inspired this week.

Remember these?

20 years ago....my best buddy did this:
    [IMG][/IMG]

It was given to me by him after he gave up trying to mod it. I thought it kinda looked like Ed's Shark destroyer in a way, though it was somewhat different in it's lines, and it had real ugly beveled edges.....though it sounded good.
    During the week for fun I was thinking I should make a Shark type guitar.....though I'd change a few things given the body dimensions were not actually correct....So not a replica here guys....just a "for the hell" of it build.

Friday...I broke out the coping saw and sander......
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I radiused the ugly bevels, shortened and rounded the bottom horn, radiused the rear horn, and also radiused the lower bout at the jack. I was jigging everything up to drill the "teeth" or what was thought to be Eddie's chainsaw surgery on the V cutout....but my 16 yr. old nephew dropped by and saw what I was doing, and thought it looked cool the way it was......So that's why she's "toothless" lol! Looking at it now I agree...though I'll still add turnbuckles. Gotta have those! Rats it up a little.

Then hit it with Duplicolor..........
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Note the neck is not an aria ;it's off an old Kramer Focus. The Hockey stick neck just looks right. I'll need to redo the headstock....this was some kramer red (Or close to it) Duplicolor I had lying around.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    There's still some I have to do.....I was gonna use the original Attack bridge....but since I had this old Schaller Floyd around, along with the Kramer neck I'll use it. Saturday I ordered a pearly Gates Humbucker for the bridge, and picked up a SD 59 for the neck. Will finish up this week.
    I had'nt striped a guitar in years....forgot how fun it was!
    Updates soon.
    Sometimes, these types of guitars turn out eh. This one looks killer! Great job. How does it sound?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    Sometimes, these types of guitars turn out eh. This one looks killer! Great job. How does it sound?
    Ha! Don't know yet! Lol. Hoping for the best. I'll have it done by the end of the week. The real test will be a month or two on. Once the paint has fully cured. The reason I used Duplicolor though, is it goes on real thin, and affects tone probably the least of any rattlecan paints other that nitro. It dries real fast too. On par with Krylon.
    What you see in the pics are just the parts laid in. Nothings bolted down. I also still have to resand the headstock, seal, prime and stripe....etc.See.. I was going to use this neck on my Ripley build, but so far that's been a clusterfuck. The pickup I ordered was useless. I had painted that headstock for that build, but.......Gonna do something different. A friend told me he has one of the new Steinberger ZT-3's Trans-Trem III units available....so who knows, that may end up in the ex-Ripley build. Like to build very specific purpose guitars, either in sound or their functionality. At one time, I had about 40 or so guitars, and aside from their look.....alot of them sounded and played....well..the same. So now I've scaled it down to about 15 or so, and they all have very unique, or specific characteristics. Weird I know, but I'm a major guitar geek.....Or just a geek in general! Youll also notice in the photo....my diet of choice: Kibble, Oreo's and Heineken!
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.26.10 at 09:04 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ha! Don't know yet! Lol. Hoping for the best. I'll have it done by the end of the week. The real test will be a month or two on. Once the paint has fully cured. The reason I used Duplicolor though, is it goes on real thin, and affects tone probably the least of any rattlecan paints other that nitro. It dries real fast too. On par with Krylon.
    What you see in the pics are just the parts laid in. Nothings bolted down. I also still have to resand the headstock, seal, prime and stripe....etc.See.. I was going to use this neck on my Ripley build, but so far that's been a clusterfuck. The pickup I ordered was useless. I had painted that headstock for that build, but.......Gonna do something different. A friend told me he has one of the new Steinberger ZT-3's Trans-Trem III units available....so who knows, that may end up in the ex-Ripley build. Like to build very specific purpose guitars, either in sound or their functionality. At one time, I had about 40 or so guitars, and aside from their look.....alot of them sounded and played....well..the same. So now I've scaled it down to about 15 or so, and they all have very unique, or specific characteristics. Weird I know, but I'm a major guitar geek.....Or just a geek in general! Youll also notice in the photo....my diet of choice: Kibble, Oreo's and Heineken!
    Ive been dying for a transtrem. Are the ZT-3 ones like the ones eddie used in 86?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ive been dying for a transtrem. Are the ZT-3 ones like the ones eddie used in 86?
    No, they actually look like a modern Kahler. Take a look at Jerry Cantrell's new G&L's. They have a very similar footprint. They don't typically sell them independently of the guitar...so I'm not sure how he came by this one. I personally love the old ones aesthetic wise. Just look cool, but the new one is supposed to be more reliable, and easier to set up the intonation. A venerable task on the Type II.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

i heard the new ones only transpose in half-steps, while the original transposed in full steps, or am I missing something?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

i heard the new ones only transpose in half-steps, while the original transposed in full steps, or am I missing something?
    Ithink they added half steps possibly, but it does go up in full steps, same as original. The locking lever is also supposed to be more ergonomic.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

upon closer inspection of the website, it appears that the range of it is D to F#, which means you can't play summer nights in standard tuning. That seems like a deal breaker to me. The original did full steps from B to G...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Thanks Tommy! Yeah I love the Pearly Gates. For my amps it's perfect. My 75 Marshall has enough gain where it saturates the preamp fine. My 5150.....nuff said. Super Distortion pickups too me sound bonk on high gain amps. What's the point? The whole reason they made em' in the first place was to compensate for weaker gain stages back in the day to get real tube distortion versus the kinda cold sound you got out of alot of the stompbox distortion units. (Tube Screamer excepted). I think it'll be cool. You'll notice that that Floyd has a D-Tuna I put on it 6 or 7 years ago. An added bonus for this guitar. I think it'll be a fun guitar. I doubt I'll gig with it, but for jamming and recording, I think she'll do fine.
    thats always been my philosophy too, let the amp do the work while the pickup translates the tone....not rocket surgery is it, im glad someone else see's things the same as me.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!