Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Need a SMOKIN' pickup -- suggestions?/vote

Ok guys. I'm building a hot rod of a guitar right now -- really stripped down. Just a simple 1 HB Basswood guitar with an all maple neck and floyd.

Now, I normally put a Dimarzio Tone Zone in my basswood or basswood/maple cap guitars for the bridge pickup, and it gives a tone I'm used to and like a LOT. Smooth, but lots of dynamics, etc. Recently I stuck a Dimarzio Steve's Special in a basswood guitar, and I like that a lot too for the same reasons.

But I want this guitar to be different -- I want it to absolutely rip. I want a super responsive pickup that has that 80's VH growl to it with harmonics all over the place... you get the idea; running around with your pants on fire kinda wild.

I'm talking Eddie's wild live sound from 1981 up to 1986.

So I'd like to know what you guys have had good luck with in your Van Halen style (I mean VH sound or appearance) guitars.

On my short list are:

EVH Wolfgang bridge pickup
    EVH Frankenstein "official" pickup
    Some sort of high output Seymour Duncan

Any other ideas or votes for one of those??

Keep in mind I play an all original 5150 head.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 07.22.10 at 10:08 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 11,604 Times in 4,948 Posts

I have the EVH Frank pickup in three guitars now...my Rasta, the VH 1 and my purple Kramer....I really love it now and you know I play through an original 5150 too. At this point the Rasta has been my main axe I've been so happy with the sound...warm and very bitey.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:22 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I put a pair of Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells in my Charvel So Cal, and I like them a lot. I wanted something like their VHII pickup, but with more power, and that's what the Rebel Yell is. Thick and punchy, with clarity, and the ability to clean up well. Not as high output as the Tone Zone, and fuller through the mids.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 2,865 Times in 1,074 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I have the EVH Frank pickup in three guitars now...my Rasta, the VH 1 and my purple Kramer....I really love it now and you know I play through an original 5150 too. At this point the Rasta has been my main axe I've been so happy with the sound...warm and very bitey.
    +1. I've got a Wolfgang pickup in one strat and an SD IM1 (frank pickup clone that SD Custom Shop sells) in my Frankie replica. The SD definitely has some more aggressiveness to it, but it's not unpleasant either. Sounds exactly like what you're going for in comparison to the Tone Zone.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I've got an SD 78 in one guitar. It does everything you would want, sounds aggressive, great harmonics, very good note definition even with a lot of gain.

I've got a Frankie pickup in another guitar and it is quite similar to the 78, but a little hotter. Great harmonics and aggressive too but not mushy or really compressed.

Both those pickups I really like and will get you where you want to go. I also play through a 5150, though less so recently. I find I don't play with a lot of gain, I keep my post lead at about 4 or 4.5 and I find that gives me all the gain I would ever need...I'm not a metal guy.

The Frankie pickup is in a basswood guitar and it sounds great in that wood. The 78 I have in a mahogany guitar but I may not leave it in there.

I think both are great pickups. Go with the Frankie if you want something a little hotter as the 78 isn't a hot pickup at all.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks guys! I was kinda leaning towards the frankie pickup actually... So it's good to hear that it works for you guys. The other appealing thing about it is that my friend has one in a guitar that I can borrow and try it out, although that guitar isn't basswood.

I will check into the bareknuckles pickup too though. That brand name comes up alot but I haven't tried one yet.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

yup the Bareknuckles VHII is an awesome pickup, I've not tried the Rebel Yell, but if it's as high quality as the rest of their products then it'll be a screamer. But I'm gonna go another way with a suggestion, and i have spoken about this pickup many times, the SD Pearly Gates, it's not particularly hot but the highs and mids really shine through, i have them in several guitars, basswood, alder and mahogany and its fantastic in every one of them, my main amps are a 5150 and JCM800 (2203) and my styles range from blues/jazz to metal and everything in between, its my 'goto' pickup
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    yup the Bareknuckles VHII is an awesome pickup, I've not tried the Rebel Yell, but if it's as high quality as the rest of their products then it'll be a screamer. But I'm gonna go another way with a suggestion, and i have spoken about this pickup many times, the SD Pearly Gates, it's not particularly hot but the highs and mids really shine through, i have them in several guitars, basswood, alder and mahogany and its fantastic in every one of them, my main amps are a 5150 and JCM800 (2203) and my styles range from blues/jazz to metal and everything in between, its my 'goto' pickup
    Ya know... now that you mention it, the Pearly Gates has been in the back of my mind for a while now too... just never tried it out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 11,604 Times in 4,948 Posts

I think I actually like the EVH Frank PU more than the Bareknuckle VH II....it seems to have more bite to it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

I highly recommend the Warren DeMartini Seymour Duncan RTM (Ratt Tonus Maximus)!
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...rren_demartin/
    WGAF?!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    I highly recommend the Warren DeMartini Seymour Duncan RTM (Ratt Tonus Maximus)!
    Hmmm, that's a very different suggestion from what you usually hear around here. Do you like that pickup more than the EVH Frankie pickup, and why? It looks interesting and the spec's on it do too.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 707 Times in 250 Posts

WOW! When I was buying parts for my RATT Bomber project I was going to contact the custom shop regarding this pickup but decided to buy a JB - $125 cheaper. If I understand correctly, the RTM is a JB with an alnico II magnet. I also read that it's close to the '78 in terms of tone with better harmonics. Do you own one?

Also, eBay: RTM on eBay
    Last edited by LAD-1972; 07.24.10 at 10:15 AM.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    WOW! When I was buying parts for my RATT Bomber project I was going to contact the custom shop regarding this pickup but decided to buy a JB - $125 cheaper. If I understand correctly, the RTM is a JB with an alnico II magnet. I also read that it's close to the '78 in terms of tone with better harmonics. Do you own one?
    Yes, I own one (no self-respecting Warren fan should be without one LOL!) and believe me, it's not a simply a JB with a A2! I tried that experiment and it wasn't even close... I do agree that's it's close to the EVH '78 in terms of tone, though.
    BTW, I got mine from Lee Garver at GMW for a real nice discount! It pays to have friends in the guitar business!
    Last edited by jimi11580; 07.24.10 at 10:20 AM.
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 707 Times in 250 Posts

BTW, I got mine from Lee Garver at GMW for a real nice discount! It pays to have friends in the guitar business!
    Ya Bastard - HA! Good for you!

I read that Warren used a stock JB back in the day and the RTM was designed for his Charvel line? Any truth to that?

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post

I read that Warren used a stock JB back in the day and the RTM was designed for his Charvel line? Any truth to that?
    He did indeed use a JB back in the day... and yes, the RTM was developed by Seymour Duncan for his Charvel signature series.
    WGAF?!!