Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default tribute bands better than the originals

hey guys. long time atomic punks fan but ran into a great zep tribute band.

these two bands are better than the originals imho in a quite a few way (speaking about musicality and execution of the songs, not the 'magic' that made the originals the 'myths' that they are now):

van halen / atomic punks:

led zeppeling / zoso:

what are your fav 'better than the orginals' cover bands?

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.29.17 @ 01:23 AM
    Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

ACDC Tribute band - Live Wire

Shoot to Thrill.

Last Online

05.31.12 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Draw the Line:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't see how a tribute band can be better than the original. Even if they play better, sing better, put on a better show - they are still just musical actors playing a part. That's like saying watching "Patton" would be better than actually having met George Patton or watching "The Passion Of The Christ" would be better than actually meeting Jesus. They can mimic and ape what the band has already done, but they aren't those people, so the songs don't have the same meaning for them, they can't foresee where the band can go from where they are now (well, ok, the Punks could sit around in their garage for years on end noodling, but I digress...), they can't write in the same spirit of the band - they may think they can, and they may be able to come up with something that's derivative, and they could even go on their own path and become better in that sense and more popular, but they can never be better than that which they are copying while they are copying it, in my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't see how a tribute band can be better than the original. Even if they play better, sing better, put on a better show - they are still just musical actors playing a part.
    Very true. I find that which each performance of Which One's Pink here in SoCal, and as time passes with both Gilmour and Waters getting older, I find myself thinking "these guys do Pink Floyd better than Pink Floyd."

But yes, they are simply replicating very closely a time when the original band was at the top of their game.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 908 Posts

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I don't see how a tribute band can be better than the original. Even if they play better, sing better, put on a better show - they are still just musical actors playing a part. That's like saying watching "Patton" would be better than actually having met George Patton or watching "The Passion Of The Christ" would be better than actually meeting Jesus. They can mimic and ape what the band has already done, but they aren't those people, so the songs don't have the same meaning for them, they can't foresee where the band can go from where they are now (well, ok, the Punks could sit around in their garage for years on end noodling, but I digress...), they can't write in the same spirit of the band - they may think they can, and they may be able to come up with something that's derivative, and they could even go on their own path and become better in that sense and more popular, but they can never be better than that which they are copying while they are copying it, in my opinion.
    I'm with you on this one.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i bet you are a lot of fun at parties.

in my opinion.

i kid, i kid. your technically right and wrong in spirit simultaneously. of course you cannot replicate the original magic. look at the roth re-union. fucking VAN HALEN could not replciate VAN HALEN.

it can also be said that the replicas bring an extra dimension to the classic acts. certainly out of all the examples, the big thing that stands out is that NO ONE is able to sound like Alex Van Halen but that dude from the ZOSO sure gets fucking close to BONZO and then some. one can say that there is a guilty pleasure to hearing something of SUCH HIGH PERFORMANCE QUALITY that in a lot of ways puts the original to shame. sure its not the 70's/80's, but then those days weren't how we remember them anyway. we now remember them through the telling of myth and picture by people like zozlower.

having a roth impersonator actually sing in the roth style PROPERLY is a trip. hearing the ac/dc tribute band sound so tight with terrific vocals is fun BECAUSE none of our fav bands are NOT the bands that they used to be.

theres enough room for all.
    Last edited by lil'devil; 07.19.10 at 08:03 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I thought this video was appropriate for this thread.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/4485

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

heh, that was fun.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:41 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

I think what some people are missing is that the Atomic Punks, particularly the singer, sound very close to the original recording from 1978. Dave can't sing like that anymore. These bands give us the opportunity to hear a band from an era that no longer exists as it did back then.

Elvis impersonators, good ones anyway, are popular because there is zero chance of seeing the real Elvis perform.

It's simply a case of a tribute band in 2010 being able to replicate the sound of a band from 20 years ago; a feat that the original performers cannot.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    I think what some people are missing is that the Atomic Punks, particularly the singer, sound very close to the original recording from 1978. Dave can't sing like that anymore. These bands give us the opportunity to hear a band from an era that no longer exists as it did back then.

Elvis impersonators, good ones anyway, are popular because there is zero chance of seeing the real Elvis perform.

It's simply a case of a tribute band in 2010 being able to replicate the sound of a band from 20 years ago; a feat that the original performers cannot.
    Indeed.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

a couple of you make it sound as if I am anti-tribute band, and that is not the case. They perform a valuable service in taking you back to a place that the real band can't, I imagine at a more reasonable price than a "real" concert. I'm sure they make for an enjoyable evening out. I just question whether or not it is possible for them to be even better than the real thing.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

so what tribute band do you play in?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:41 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    so what tribute band do you play in?
    You got me. I'm actually in a Winger tribute band called "Kip's White Teeth".

We don't get many gigs.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You got me. I'm actually in a Winger tribute band called "Kip's White Teeth".

We don't get many gigs.
    hahah...
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.