Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Default Nitro clear spray???

Hey guys, What is a good nitrocellulouse clear coat that I could use to lightly spray an old unfinished guitar?

Where is the best place to buy it? Do they sell this kind of stuff at Lowes?!
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:42 AM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
    Hey guys, What is a good nitrocellulouse clear coat that I could use to lightly spray an old unfinished guitar?

I don't recall seeing "nitro" at lowes or other home centers.

If you want true nitro and it's only for one guitar, this may be the best solution:
    http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/nitclearcoat.html

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post

Deft makes a nitrocellulouse clear; however, it is not as high-quality as ReRanch clear. Many on the ReRanch forum use Deft as a build-up (i.e.- top-layer for lots and lots of wetsanding) OVER ReRanch clear.

Nitro clear is something that is a multi-step process all unto itself!!!! You don't just spray nitro clear for the fun of it!!!! It is the last application before a bunch of other processes to net a Gibson-like finish.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:42 AM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    Nitro clear is something that is a multi-step process all unto itself!!!! You don't just spray nitro clear for the fun of it!!!! It is the last application before a bunch of other processes to net a Gibson-like finish.
    If you're planning to do more than one guitar, I think Grizzly has decent prices for Mcfadden Nitro (same as ReRanch spray can) products:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/373

Nitro - Definitely NOT a weekend project!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Be cautions as that is some nasty stuff.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

cautious.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've got a 1980 Dean ML that I just had totally re-wired. It's black and has many surface scratches and cracks. Can I "smooth" out the cracks and spray this clear nitro over it, without repainting the whole thing? It's the original paint and I kinda wanna keep it if i can....
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian View Post
    I've got a 1980 Dean ML that I just had totally re-wired. It's black and has many surface scratches and cracks. Can I "smooth" out the cracks and spray this clear nitro over it, without repainting the whole thing? It's the original paint and I kinda wanna keep it if i can....
    You might as well repaint it if you're wanting to do that. Original paint intact, whether or not it is scratched, dinged, belt buckle rash through to the wood is worth more than a refinished guitar. A Dean ML from 1980 is one of those guitars that is going to soar in value over the years. Keep it as it is and you will thank me for the advice I just gave you in years to come.

And I will say this again- simply spraying nitro over something is not a simple process in the least. You just can't spray over something and expect it to be factory smooth. Factories use a variety of buffers, as well as spray equipment you just can't get at Autozone. It takes many cans of clear nitro and many hours of wetsanding and buffing to get a smooth, factory finish.

My suggestion- if you want to refinish a guitar, buy a cheap Guitar Fetish kit, go to ReRanch forum, buy the proper products, read up on the process and do one up. Don't muck up your Dean.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    You might as well repaint it if you're wanting to do that. Original paint intact, whether or not it is scratched, dinged, belt buckle rash through to the wood is worth more than a refinished guitar. A Dean ML from 1980 is one of those guitars that is going to soar in value over the years. Keep it as it is and you will thank me for the advice I just gave you in years to come.

And I will say this again- simply spraying nitro over something is not a simple process in the least. You just can't spray over something and expect it to be factory smooth. Factories use a variety of buffers, as well as spray equipment you just can't get at Autozone. It takes many cans of clear nitro and many hours of wetsanding and buffing to get a smooth, factory finish.

My suggestion- if you want to refinish a guitar, buy a cheap Guitar Fetish kit, go to ReRanch forum, buy the proper products, read up on the process and do one up. Don't muck up your Dean.
    Thanks for the input bunnyman My friends also think I should leave it will all the battle scars and mojo. I'm the original owner. It was my 1st "real" guitar I bought new when I was just a punk kid, working for a few bucks an hour
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian View Post
    Thanks for the input bunnyman My friends also think I should leave it will all the battle scars and mojo. I'm the original owner. It was my 1st "real" guitar I bought new when I was just a punk kid, working for a few bucks an hour
    You freakin' earned EVERY battle scar!!!

Don't manhandle that freakin' axe!!!!!

Let her age gracefully!!! A bad refin is like a bad FACELIFT!!!! Everyone can tell!!!!!