Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 238 Times in 60 Posts

Default Scalloped necks?

Hey Guys,
    I'm having a tough choice here, I'm going to start a 5150, but I was wondering since I already have a couple replicas to start something different. I want a strat, but how about a scalloped neck? I mean, I've never played on one before, I called 6 guitar shops around me who don't carry Yngwie Malmsteens in stock, so I can't try it out. Is it worth it? I just want something different that is fun to play on and something that sounds cool. Thanks a lot everyone!

Nick

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrbond5150 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I'm having a tough choice here, I'm going to start a 5150, but I was wondering since I already have a couple replicas to start something different. I want a strat, but how about a scalloped neck? I mean, I've never played on one before, I called 6 guitar shops around me who don't carry Yngwie Malmsteens in stock, so I can't try it out. Is it worth it? I just want something different that is fun to play on and something that sounds cool. Thanks a lot everyone!

Nick
    Scalloped necks can be very cool!
    Couple things to cosider though.
    Use lighter guages at first. It's funny how they do it because you don't apply more pressure, but with the strings pressing into your fingertips unencumbered by a fretboard right underneath, they can shred your calouses until your finger tips get tougher.
    Try to go for a one peice quartersawn maple neck and seal the sucker. Sometimes with deep scallops, the neck will bow more readily, or develop a twist or warp.
    Get bigger frets. It's hard to explain, but you'll know it when you feel it. I've played the US model Malmsteen which almost feels like it has bass frets installed, then tried the Mexican version with waaay smaller vintage style frets. It's night and day in the sustain and feel. With the smaller fretwire, there's just less of a natural feel with more of an easy tendancy to go sharp unintensionally.
    I love scallops though. Can get crazy vibrato's with them, and the feel is much more positive in some respects.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Thanks man! Is it hard to adjust to it? Is it true about how it's hard to play lets say Judas Priest or like Ozzy with a scalloped neck? I plan on using the guitar second my Franky.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

sleeper is bang about the frets, for whatever reason bigger frets do feel much better on scalloped boards, i have used a U.S.A. Yngwie Strat a few times in the studio and adored it, you barely have to make contact with the strings, they virtually play themselves, but if you use a lot of vibrato they do shred your fingers (have a bottle of superglue hand until you get used to it!), but i cant use them live, i have a very aggressive playing style and in the heat of the moment i tend to wrestle with the guitar a little so i end up putting too much pressure on the strings and everything ends up sharp and sounds horrible, but if you can get beyond that you'll love it.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks man! Is it hard to adjust to it? Is it true about how it's hard to play lets say Judas Priest or like Ozzy with a scalloped neck? I plan on using the guitar second my Franky.
    Well...you do have to adapt your touch slightly. If you have the Kung-Fu grip when you play, it helps a bit to lighten your touch. One thing I found initially in fast passages at first, was I tended to snag the odd string, like when string skipping, but that was just me and my heavy approach, and the added depth at which your fingertips sink around the string at depression. I've got a strong fingering technique....look at Yngwie....The guys like a machine back and forth through scales with his sweep picking, and sounds totally aggressive, but then you watch him play, and you see his touch is incredibly light actually. That's the key. it's like anything with different guitars of a specific design though. You adapt. Like take my basses as an example (as most of my guitar necks I've reshaped.) I have a Precision bass.....Sounds ballsy as hell, but it's got a fat neck, and it just doesn't "feel" fast, so you have to adapt your touch to play what you want. I have a Jazz....it's got this skinny neck, and you can fly all over that neck with ease. So it's just a different feel. It'll take time, but yeah...they are alot of fun. I'd reccomend getting one for sure. if nothing else, just for the variety of having a different guitar in your arsenal!
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.12.10 at 03:29 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Thanks a lot guys! I plan on getting a Yngwie's "Play Loud" done, that's why I was asking. Does it help to have a light-er scallop or a regular scallop?

I'm really excited about it!
    Thanks again!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks a lot guys! I plan on getting a Yngwie's "Play Loud" done, that's why I was asking. Does it help to have a light-er scallop or a regular scallop?

I'm really excited about it!
    Thanks again!
    Personal preference really. keep in mind that Yngwie did his own scallop job with if I remember correctly, a common round wood file, and I remember one of the guys in Fender's custom shop saying how deep and uneven they were, and how it was a miracle the neck held up so well. Take a look on the web of some profiles, and see for yourself. The best judge is you. If you have big fingers, then deep scallops may be good, if you have smaller fingers, then more moderate dish may be appropriate. Tough to say because even the necks rear profile will change the way it feels; how your fingertips hit the string. Some necks kind of dictate weather your tip rests more on the pad, or closer up toward the nail. Personally a D neck shape is comfortable to me.
    here's some common ones:
    Below is a common off the rack scallop you find

Here's a typical generic custom deep scallop:

This is a different deal; A truly custom asymmetrical scallop. The thought here is that it fits the player's fingers more naturally.

However....searching the net, you'll find scallops so deep, you wonder how you aren't seeing truss rod through the wood!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.12.10 at 05:40 PM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

You are correct, he did his own scallops. I remember he said he did it light, so I'll follow suit. I can't describe how much of a help you guys were. Honestly, you guys are why I pulled the trigger on this build! Thanks!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.11 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting comment on Yngwie's Play Loud. I knew that he did the scallop job, and did read that it was pretty poor. I don't believe that it was very deep though. I've seen a few pictures of that neck, and it looks like all he did was knock the edges down a bit. One of the other tell-tale indicators of the scallop job is the fact that there is still nitro on certain parts of the neck - obviously if he scalloped the entire thing from the 1st to 21st fret, there would be no nitro at all - it would have been filed off.

Yes, i know that there are large sections of the fretboard where there is no nitro, but I still don't think the scallops on that neck were very deep. The factory ones are way deeper. I actually ordered a neck from Musikraft, had Dean Cascione scallop it, and was planning on using it on a Play Loud replica, but it wouldn't be true to the original with those full scallops on it, so I'm going to sell the neck (if anyone is interested).

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Slick, That's something I never thought of before. Don't you think along the lines he would of refinished it? I'm pretty sure the fenders are scalloped and have nitro on the frets. I'm looking at a picture right now, and it looks like they are indeed scalloped. I'll take fenders word for it, they had the real guitar from start to finish.. Erh.. Starting to sound like a Frankenstrat research thread, LOL.

Oh btw, I liked those necks, I'm going musikraft for mine. PM me some pictures slick, thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I actually had some real good pics of the Duck's neck years ago. It did have some kind of finish applied after he scalloped it....of what I'm not sure. It's since worn again. When I referred to the depth, it was more the spottiness of the job. Malmsteen's IS quite light compared to a lot of scallop jobs out there. There were some areas deeper than others. The neck has actually been refinished and repaired numerous times from both play wear, as well as him tossing the guitar in the air on stage and missing it more than a few times! lol. the headstock has a couple breaks too.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.12.10 at 10:02 PM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Yeah, I've seen there are two dowels in the neck head that will be on mine. I want it to fool people with the fender, but I will never sell the thing if I like these scallops. I just hope there not for just malmsteen or playing fast. I really like the guitar, haha. Do you still have those pictures of the duck? I'm leaving out donald, I think it looks a little weird.. LOL

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Richie Blackmore also plays a scalloped neck guitar. The scallops are something I never really had much of a desire to play, but I know that I play a huge-fret guitar much better than one with more "normal" sized frets. I am kinda wrestling with a 6100-sized guitar right now and can't wait to get a 6000-sized guitar set up for play once again.

Who knows? I may have to check out a scalloped guitar, it could change my playing...
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah, I've seen there are two dowels in the neck head that will be on mine. I want it to fool people with the fender, but I will never sell the thing if I like these scallops. I just hope there not for just malmsteen or playing fast. I really like the guitar, haha. Do you still have those pictures of the duck? I'm leaving out donald, I think it looks a little weird.. LOL
    What you could do is get a neck scalloped by a local luthier. This way....he can take it down in small stages. He'll string it up for you to come by and try out, and stop when it's comfortable for you, then finish it. It's not to much to ask of a reputable luthier. I mean their job is to make a guitar to a clients liking.Ask around. Go to an independent though....not a guitar shop that sells guitars....they're paid to do quick setups on guitars they sell. I know....I used to work in one of those shops years ago. As far as scalloping, and weather or not it's your thing....well the only way to know without tearing into a neck is to just try out or rent a scallop necked guitar. At the end of the day though.....it's just a neck. For a hundred bucks or so, you can pick up another.....Even cheaper on Craigslist. Just curious....where are you located?
    S

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

I'm in nassau county Long Island NY. I've asked around, and the closest person to a luither is me. There is no one around that I've managed to find, or not find. LOL. I called six shops GC, Sam Ash, and some small ones around here and none of them have scalloped necks.

Hopefully this thread won't get me too anxious, the guitar won't be ready until August 30th or so...