Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 40 123411 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Presidential Candidates for 2012

With so much current distaste over "Change"; What are our alternatives coming up in 2012??

--------------------------
    The United States presidential election of 2012 is the next United States presidential election, to be held on Tuesday, November 6, 2012. It will be the 57th quadrennial presidential election in which presidential electors, who will actually elect the President and the Vice President of the United States on December 17, 2012, will be chosen. Democratic President Barack Obama will be eligible to run for a second and final term during this election.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...election,_2012
    --------------------------

Nationwide opinion polling for the United States presidential election, 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationw...election,_2012
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Ron Paul.

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Texas Govenor Rick Perry has had his eye on 2012 for quite some time.

I've heard rumblings that the republican party is considering him and the guy who took Kennedy's seat in Massachussettes as two of the favourites.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Well for the Democrats you have Obama and Hillary. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hillary pull a Ted Kennedy and go against Obama in 2012 if the economic situation doesn't improve, BP and everything else. If he looks to be unelectable, he may fall on the sword so she can move in. She has improved her popularity ratings and really has done a good job dodging bullets.

For the Republicans you have Romney, Palin, Pawlenty, Jindal, Paul, Gingrich, Huckabee, and possibly Jeb Bush.

There is an outside chance that Petraeus could retire and run for the GOP.

Palin has no shot because the rest of the field would chew her up in debates. Paul is too old and while I like him, he is a bit too out there and against the grain. Jindal could renew his hopes with strong leadership from the Gulf Spill. Huckabee is too religious and his show on FOX lends him to many quotes that could be used in an election. Jeb won't win because he is a Bush and they won't go down that path. I don't think Brown will have done enough and is too centrist to get the GOP nod. Gingrich has too much dirt even though he probably would be a good pick.

I say that Romney will get the nod. The GOP unlike the Democrats seems to reward past party losers with the nod. Nixon, Reagan, Bush Sr and Dole all won their nomination after losing previous years. With the Democratic party its usually one and done. Kerry and Gore for instance.

The negative on Romney in 2012 is that he was for the Mass Health Care reform which is not doing too well. However if the economy is still in the shitter, he probably would be the best guy to turn us around.

He was actually the guy we needed in 2008 because of the economic crisis.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Ron Paul doesn't have a chance to win the Repub nom. I predict Mittens for that spot.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

OK, as a Canadian looking in, and having great admiration for the States here's a question.....Dems aside, cuz' we know it'll be a repeat performance/ same cast of characters essentially, but for Republicans....what do you guys think of Jindal? I don't know much about him...his politics etc... but I have been watching him over the course of the BP deal, and he seems like an authentically passionate guy who's not afraid to speak his mind, and not give a shit about the consequences. Obviously, the pressure is on to perform in the wake of the disaster, but compared to others who are supposedly "entrenched in the resolution to the disaster" by taking time out on the golf course (yeah....) Not your typical lip service car salesman type politician we've grown to accept. Someone who seems as fed up with status quo as the rest of us. I know it's a hell of a long shot, but given the current anger among the public with what we've got these days.....Never know.
    Thoughts?
    Here's another question that I think is relevant. What are your thoughts on mandatory voting? Canada is suffering from record low voter turn out...understandable given the lackluster performance of our representatives, but here's the rub...If less than 60% votes, then the only people who do care enough, are the special interest groups that are behind or funded by the incumbant. Australia made it mandatory to vote...I'm a convert to this idea as well. What it means is even if there is no one to vote for in your mind...you at the very least can send a message to government, and elect hopefuls by simply deliberately spoiling your vote.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.12.10 at 09:26 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Texas Govenor Rick Perry has had his eye on 2012 for quite some time.

I've heard rumblings that the republican party is considering him and the guy who took Kennedy's seat in Massachussettes as two of the favourites.
    I am no fan of Scott Brown. I've seen how he's voted on a few things and I'm not impressed. I'm looking hard at Jindal right now but you know how us racists on the right are. The most tired argument the left has right now is that we're racists. I believe the left is scared to death that Jindal will make a serious run for the Republican nomination. If he does, watch the true racists, politicians and media alike, come out of the woodwork.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Jindal was supposed to be the GOP answer for Obama however his response after Obama's first inaugural address was somewhat of a disaster for him. However since then he has somewhat rebuilt himself and is seen in a more favorable light. I think he is very much a long shot because I believe that in 2012, experience will be a bigger deal.

I do like him. Hate Palin though and am scared of her.

My viewpoints on voting is actually the opposite of being mandatory. I don't think you should vote unless you have a grasp of the issues. You should be almost forced to take a test to prove your competence. Heck everybody can vote in the this manner but you have to understand some core issues. We have too many idiots in this country that just check off Democrat, Republican or look at the sex or assume the ethnicity of the candidate.

I know it goes against the long standing principles of our country but there is nothing worse than an uneducated voter.

I am not a fan of a mandatory vote though because that is too much power with the federal government. People have the right to not vote and should have that right. You also have privacy issues where there will be a database that shows who you voted for. A party in power could misuse that information.

Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

04.24.17 @ 11:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ross Perott
    All songs written and performed by:

Edward Van Halen: Lead Guitars, Backround vocals
    Sammy Hagar: Lead Vocals, Acoustic/Guitars
    Michael Anthony: Bass/ Backround Vocals
    Alex Van Halen: Drums/Percussions/Back Vocals
    Sammy Hagars solos available on Geffen
    Special Thanks to: Valerie, Wolfie, Sue, Kari,Claudio for introducing the RedRocker to us Al's Harem and kids, Elisha, Taylor, Kama/ all the fans past and present: all recordings done at "5150" where else! A nod and wink to Ed Leffler.
    Irving Azoff/ All the staff at Warner Bros. past and present/ Gary Cherone for giving his all/ David Lee Roth for getting us there and oh yea Ray Daniels, for keeping the bathrooms clean during all the performances. Oh yea, your fucking check is in the mail and next time you whip your bullshit on us again, where taking your ass to Cabo and pounding mud up your ass till you cough up sand for the loss of 8 years. nuff said, IT"S 5150 TIME

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Jindal was supposed to be the GOP answer for Obama however his response after Obama's first inaugural address was somewhat of a disaster for him. However since then he has somewhat rebuilt himself and is seen in a more favorable light. I think he is very much a long shot because I believe that in 2012, experience will be a bigger deal.

My viewpoints on voting is actually the opposite of being mandatory. I don't think you should vote unless you have a grasp of the issues. You should be almost forced to take a test to prove your competence. Heck everybody can vote in the this manner but you have to understand some core issues. We have too many idiots in this country that just check off Democrat, Republican or look at the sex or assume the ethnicity of the candidate.

I know it goes against the long standing principles of our country but there is nothing worse than an uneducated voter.

I am not a fan of a mandatory vote though because that is too much power with the federal government. People have the right to not vote and should have that right. You also have privacy issues where there will be a database that shows who you voted for. A party in power could misuse that information.
    Agree on all points. I don't know how mandatory voting would work...like you said with the uneducated nature of alot of voters. Almost like you said, there should be some form of test. Like I suppose there could be a 2 or 3 point questionaire prior to voting to validate the vote for whatever candidate. Not sure. I agree though....unless completely anonamous, way to much intrusion.
    Here's a little story that sums up the state of our society right now. On the radio the other day, they were discussing the current raft of politicians, their backtracking and outright breaking of promisses. Them giving themselves enormous pay raises...the list goes on. Well a fellow in his early 90's called in.
    He gave his account of how he fought in WWII, and was a strategist in Korea....how he fought for for peoples freedoms, and the right to vote. He said he voted in every election since he was of legal age, but since the past couple of years, and all the debacles that have ensued.....he will never vote again for the rest of his days. he feels totally betrayed, and feels that voting for these people now only perpetuates the problem.
    Sad.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post

I am against mandatory voting as well. One, I just hate the word "mandatory" and two, I believe that most of the people who do not vote are probably the same people who get assistance from the government in one form or another. They will vote for whoever keeps filling their mailbox with money for doing nothing, which would be disastrous to this country.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I am against mandatory voting as well. One, I just hate the word "mandatory" and two, I believe that most of the people who do not vote are probably the same people who get assistance from the government in one form or another. They will vote for whoever keeps filling their mailbox with money for doing nothing, which would be disastrous to this country.
    Actually they may CONTINUE to vote for whoever keeps filling their mailbox with money for doing nothing...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Those are two pretty baseless assumptions. The generalizations of "most non-voters receive assistance from the governement" and "most that receive assistance from the governement do nothing" is about as accurate as "most republicans are racists."

Don't be a hypocrite, Viking.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 18,054 Times in 8,923 Posts

Couple of points made that I would like to respond to.

I would be SHOCKED that a sitting Secretary of State (Clinton) would run against the sitting President in a primary run. I just don't see that happening, no matter how bad things are.

No way Mitt Romney gets the Republican nod. There is no way a Mormon is electable as President of the United States. We could debate whether that is fair or not all day long, but there is no way he gets elected.

Mandatory voting? No thank you. It is a privilege to vote, if an individual is not willing to invest the time to find to research the candidiates, I don't want them to be voting anyway. We already have idiots voting that go on TV and say incredibly intelligent things such as "I voted for Obama because he is going to pay my mortgage" and "I voted for Sarah Palin because she is a real person, she hunts caribou".
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think the bottom line is most people think they're getting hosed regardless of who they vote for. This of course breeds apathy. It's really too bad things have gotten to this state. It really does feel hopeless at times.
    Basically it's come down to a "just hold your nose, and vote for the person you think will do the least amount more damage". And that's terrible.
    Unless there is some real sweeping change in government policy, how campaigns are funded....and for God Sakes!!!! eliminating the gridlock of redundant beaurocracy, and political correctness, it's gonna be the same if not worse time and time again.
    Who knows.....maybe this disinterest in politics in a strange way will bring about this change....but at this point in the game, all voter apathy does is give government free reign to continue as they are... Without conscience.
    I said I'm a convert to the idea of mandatory voting, though not in favour of the premise. I too am not at heart in favour of mandatory voting, but I do get where the call comes from. It's scary just how poor turnout is. worth, but one thing it did do, at least perportedly in Australia, was force people to get more involved, or at least engaged. It took several elections for it to find a balance. I think it's more important to get more people involved on the home front however. It is a sad state of affairs that by report that more people voted for the last American Idol even with waining viewership, than for the last presidential election.
    So what is it? Are we just becoming lazy and would rather vote online, or by phone? Or is it that we genuinely don't care what path our countries are on?
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 07.12.10 at 10:50 AM.