Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default New Bill Gives President The Power To Shut Down Internet

If the Senate votes for the Internet ‘kill switch' bill President Barack Obama will be handed the power to shut down the Internet for at least four months at a time.

The bill was approved by a key Senate committee yesterday and it will now move to the floor.

Senator Joe Lieberman is making a hard push for The Protecting Cyberspace as a National Act.

The bill would hand absolute power to the federal government to close down networks and block incoming Internet traffic from certain countries under a declared national emergency.

Despite many letters from the Center for Democracy and Technology and other private firms concerned that the bill could be used to suppress free speech, the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee passed the bill.

Because of the negative response to the bill language was added that would force the government to seek approval to extend the Internet ban for more than four months at a time.

The Senate argues “That the President already had authority under the Communications Act to “cause the closing of any facility or station for wire communication” when there is a “state or threat of war”, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.

However, when Lieberman made reference to China's Internet policing policies on Sunday it made those protesting the bill even more fearful of what it could mean.

Lieberman told CNN's Candy Crowley, “Right now China, the government, can disconnect parts of its Internet in case of war and we need to have that here too.”

While this may be true, comparing the United States democracy to the communist government in China is never a good move.[/quote]

http://hiphopwired.com/2010/06/29/ne...-down-internet

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k.
    Favorite VH Song

cant get this stuff no more
    Last Online

02.02.14 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

maybe so but will never happen. u know what kind of caos that would cause?? and what it would do for his next term election?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Crap, shows how much I lurk on here these days. Can this be merged?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamvhcornell View Post
    maybe so but will never happen. u know what kind of caos that would cause?? and what it would do for his next term election?
    I can't imagine the chaos it would cause. It would be incredible. Could you imagine 300 million Americans being unable to go to the Links?

Lots of bitching in that linked thread that's inside this thread, but not very many posts addressed the possible reasons why the President might want this power. I want to tell you what just happened to us, which I believe is the result of a cyber attack.

On Monday and Tuesday, our squadron had no network connectivity, which basically left most of us powerless to do anything. 68 people, not a problem...I'm sure it will get fixed soon. Turns out it was our entire base, which is tens of thousands of Airmen, sister service members, civilian employees, and contractors. A little more talking and we found out that several military installations (several hundred thousand people) were in the same boat as us: hamstrung and unable to conduct business. Why did this happen? They're telling us it was some sort of network failure - 3 out of 6 of these huge network servers-or-whatever failed - but I'm not buying it, and neither are my sources in the Communications directorate. And whatever the cause was, millions of OUR dollars were wasted and the overall mission was affected to one degree or another because of a network server failure (3 out of 6 servers).

Bringing "things" to a grinding halt is one of the reasons why terrorists attacked the World Trade Center instead of flying a plane into the Statue Of Liberty. Heck, the collapse of the Towers affected our nation's economy in a bad way. That's what terrorists want: to ruin us. Sure, bl*wing up Mt. Rushmore would piss most of us off, but it won't affect business.

I'm not a fan of Big Brother, but if shutting down the Internet is gonna save our asses from something worse than us not being able to post at the Links, then for the love of us all, give the President that power! He already has the power of the Bomb, right?

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz