Ah, the good ol' days

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Cool to see him not using Frankenstein. Must be a back up axe.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

That's the most of that ive ever seen!!
    Great stuff!!

Yeah think thats a guitar that he gave away.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Fools/etc.etc.
    Last Online

10.03.10 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No,its not a give away.Its called the "ad franky"as seen in the video for "Feels So Good" but with a different neck.If Im wrong,I know jimi11580 will correct me.That boy is gifted with a knowledge for Edwards guitars that its mind boggling,Hes an asset in this Eddie guitar business.
    Are you ready to get down?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I give you,the MIGHTY VAN HALEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Damn that guy is good.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kramerboy View Post
    No,its not a give away.Its called the "ad franky"as seen in the video for "Feels So Good" but with a different neck.If Im wrong,I know jimi11580 will correct me.That boy is gifted with a knowledge for Edwards guitars that its mind boggling,Hes an asset in this Eddie guitar business.
    I'm watching the Feel So Good video now and it looks like Ed has the ACTUAL Franky. Doesn't really look like the one from the Caracas solo video.

But maybe I'm not seeing it right.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kramerboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I'm watching the Feel So Good video now and it looks like Ed has the ACTUAL Franky. Doesn't really look like the one from the Caracas solo video.
    But maybe I'm not seeing it right.
    The guitar in the 1983 video is the "Kramer Ad" Franky...

... the guitar that Ed used in the "Feels So Good" video is the original Franky with the Tom Anderson "hockeystick" neck installed...
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Default Here's a question

if evh's brown sound is so ground breaking and we all know it is
    Than why the heck has he moved so far away from it ??????????

Pop on anyone of the original 6 cds vs. anything in the past 20 yrs too hear my point.
    the classic evh sound is present on this video in Caracas 83'

Now he sounds like an overblown rack system from hell with a monstrous wall of sound.
    I like the original sound much better. In a large way, it's how 'n' why I became a fan

Sunday morning coffee has got me all fired up !!! Best CV

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    if evh's brown sound is so ground breaking and we all know it is
    Than why the heck has he moved so far away from it ??????????

Pop on anyone of the original 6 cds vs. anything in the past 20 yrs too hear my point.
    the classic evh sound is present on this video in Caracas 83'

Now he sounds like an overblown rack system from hell with a monstrous wall of sound.
    I like the original sound much better. In a large way, it's how 'n' why I became a fan

Sunday morning coffee has got me all fired up !!! Best CV
    I'm thinking that perhaps he has hearing loss and this is why he can no longer distinguish sound as he once did. I'm sure that his upper registers are no longer present after yrs. of playing at loud volumes. I'd definitely have to factor that in as to why his sound has changed thru the years. And definitely not for the better! You can't beat the early days period. Everything changed in '85. What he hears now and how he interprets it is drastically different from what a person with normal hearing hears imo.

Would give anything to hear him blasting thru an old setup. He needs a serious Marshall amp like the old days.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well....maybe hearing loss is a factor, but people also change. Listen to LWAN's sound.....it's still there, but he DOES use more Harmonizer, or at least it's higher up in the mix. I think part of the factor here, is that with Sammy, it was the first time they tuned to "E"....with Dave, it was in "D" primarily....So my guess is he compensated for the "fatness" with a little more Harmonizer to facilitate Sam's higher range. As far as his overall tone, his switch to higher gain amps is a biggy. Don't forget that a vintage Marshall...his primary tone generator up to Carnal Knowledge is not a high gain amp at all. Great sounding....nice breakup....not high gain. Most likely his switch to a Soldano SLO in 1990 was an eye opener to him. The gain opens up alot more expressiveness, ease of popping harmonics....basically, a player like Ed's wet dream, and his development of the 5150 was a hybrid of the SLO's gain, and the Marshall's "krang" voice.......but it's not for everyone. Over the years I've met a lot of people along the way that do not like the 5150, at least in stock form. A singer I work with, For whatever reason exposes his hatred of the amp to me regularly. He just hates how high gain colors tone, and prefers a more vintage crunch tone.

Listen to him on the III concert footage, and his tone is rawer again.
    I don't know what to say about his tone on the latest tour.....I'm not a fan of it. I find it his worst to date, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt because rumor has it they did have numerous problems with their sound reinforcement over the entire tour, but as it stands, I find it too upper mid rangey, shriller than in the past...This very well could be associated with hearing loss, as it takes away your higher register hearing first.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Well....maybe hearing loss is a factor, but people also change. Listen to LWAN's sound.....it's still there, but he DOES use more Harmonizer, or at least it's higher up in the mix. I think part of the factor here, is that with Sammy, it was the first time they tuned to "E"....with Dave, it was in "D" primarily....So my guess is he compensated for the "fatness" with a little more Harmonizer to facilitate Sam's higher range. As far as his overall tone, his switch to higher gain amps is a biggy. Don't forget that a vintage Marshall...his primary tone generator up to Carnal Knowledge is not a high gain amp at all. Great sounding....nice breakup....not high gain. Most likely his switch to a Soldano SLO in 1990 was an eye opener to him. The gain opens up alot more expressiveness, ease of popping harmonics....basically, a player like Ed's wet dream, and his development of the 5150 was a hybrid of the SLO's gain, and the Marshall's "krang" voice.......but it's not for everyone. Over the years I've met a lot of people along the way that do not like the 5150, at least in stock form. A singer I work with, For whatever reason exposes his hatred of the amp to me regularly. He just hates how high gain colors tone, and prefers a more vintage crunch tone.

Listen to him on the III concert footage, and his tone is rawer again.
    I don't know what to say about his tone on the latest tour.....I'm not a fan of it. I find it his worst to date, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt because rumor has it they did have numerous problems with their sound reinforcement over the entire tour, but as it stands, I find it too upper mid rangey, shriller than in the past...This very well could be associated with hearing loss, as it takes away your higher register hearing first.
    I'd say that you're most likely right. I don't play, but what you're saying does make sense to me. I think that perhaps his hearing loss does play a small factor in things too. Has to. Even though I didn't attend the last tour (wouldn't, as I don't like Wolfgang being in the band) noticed that the sound crew took a regular beating. I instead thought to myself is this yet another case of Ed hearing something completely different than the sound crew guys? I have a hearing loss and, I can guarantee you that I now hear things and interpret them much differently than I did previously. Maybe Ed was being unfair to his sound crew when there would be problems? What he hears and what they hear are most likely two different things entirely. It seemed like he was venting his frustrations out on them when the problem was his to begin with. I dunno.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    That sounds weird to me. The band sounds fine but the audience sounds wrong. Listen to the break after the first song (3:12). It sounds like someone took a soundboard recording and dubbed in studio audience applause from the Oprah show.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Yeah sounds like a loop.
    They must have added it for TV.
    I have the soundboard of this show and that applause ain't there.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

pretty much all of them
    Last Online

04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anybody truly love his early live tone though? I mean in the studio his sound is definitely a classic but just about every live soundboard or video clip from the early days and even the clips in this video his sound is so thin and alot of treble. Compared to the records his live tone always seem to lack the bass and balls!

I'm sure some of it has to do with some lazy audio recording and technological issues from that era but i dont know compared to some other bands live albums and videos from that era they had a better "sound" per se.

Maybe its just me!
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!