Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Don't Tell Me
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 01:14 AM
    Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts

Default Ray Danniels -- Please Pile On!

This probably doesn't belong in main, but I saw Beyond the Lighted Stage on Palladia. Of course, Ray Danniels was in it quite a bit. And it just pissed me off to see him.

Thought I might give everybody a chance to vent a bit going into the long weekend.

FUCK YOU RAY DANNIELS!
    SOME VH LINKS CLASSICS

"Sammy is fat, Dave is bald, Mike is next in line to be the Pope, Eddie is a drunk, Wolfie is fat, Gary is gay, CVH is VH, Mike is VH, Sammy can outsing Dave on a tequilla hangover, Eddie is a meth head, How Many Say I is the worst VH song ever, Up for Breakfast is a close second, Dave was horrible at radio and everybody hates the assless chaps.
    Ok I think that covers everything." Ziggysmalls

"I sense that some of our newer passengers may be nervous due to the sudden turbulence. Please be seated, this is simply a normal part of the periodic ride.
    I didn't say we'll get to the destination, but until Alex comes out a says what a complete waste of carbon DLR is, we're still climbing, so strap yourselves in.
    Those of you who have been on this ride before, the hottie in the mini will be around shortly with your drinks......." Red

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I started writing a post on this, since I'm also a Rush fan. But then I realized I didn't care much about what Ray did or didn't do to VH. Because that Ray Daniels crap is pure soap opera. The fault lies with Sam, Ed and Al for the deterioration of the band.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    I started writing a post on this, since I'm also a Rush fan. But then I realized I didn't care much about what Ray did or didn't do to VH. Because that Ray Daniels crap is pure soap opera. The fault lies with Sam, Ed and Al for the deterioration of the band.
    Cause Sam had so much influence after he was gone? THis is all on Ed and Al. It just got even worse after Sam left

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Where is F.O.R.D. when you need him?

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

ENOUGH SAID
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Ray Danniels has been out of the picture for a good ten years now, and there's still a whole bunch of all around chaos. Hmmm... could we be onto something??

RD gave us 35 excellent years of Rush. Then a few(5 at most) sucky years of VH, a band quite adept at fucking up without the help of anyone. So I'd say the positive far outweighs the negative when it comes to RD. Sure there were years with F.O.R.D. and all that crap here. Truth is that whole thing develop because we needed a way out, it was too hard to face the truth, we weren't ready. Even for Sam, I think. No one could admit that it was all Eddie's fault. It was far more convenient to blame RD.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Not sure if any of you caught this who watched the RUSH doc but look closely at Ray's office when they are talking about Neil Peart's situation with the death of his kid and daughter. In the left side, you will see a plaque or picture that has at least VH2 and Diver Down in the display. I thought it was kind of weird since he was the manager during the end of the Sammy era and of course Gary's. Maybe it was a gift from Alex at one point but anyway there is a VH artifact in a RUSH doc

BTW I think the difference between Ray with Rush and VH is that he was friends with RUSH from the beginning. He was their manager before they were even anybody in Canada, let alone having their first record deal. That is a big difference then jumping into a situation with VH.

While I am pissed at him with what he did to VH, obviously Geddy, Alex and Neil think he is a decent guy. He also comes across perfectly normal in this documentary. Honestly IMO whatever he did with VH was because of the dynamics of VH. Sammy, Eddie, Alex and Dave come across much more immature in their interviews than what was displayed of Ray in this flick.

Still could be the devil but I think VH and their ego's were more likely the cause of the problem and its been turned around on Ray.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post

ENOUGH SAID
    Nice pic Eddymon!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Not sure if any of you caught this who watched the RUSH doc but look closely at Ray's office when they are talking about Neil Peart's situation with the death of his kid and daughter. In the left side, you will see a plaque or picture that has at least VH2 and Diver Down in the display. I thought it was kind of weird since he was the manager during the end of the Sammy era and of course Gary's. Maybe it was a gift from Alex at one point but anyway there is a VH artifact in a RUSH doc

BTW I think the difference between Ray with Rush and VH is that he was friends with RUSH from the beginning. He was their manager before they were even anybody in Canada, let alone having their first record deal. That is a big difference then jumping into a situation with VH.

While I am pissed at him with what he did to VH, obviously Geddy, Alex and Neil think he is a decent guy. He also comes across perfectly normal in this documentary. Honestly IMO whatever he did with VH was because of the dynamics of VH. Sammy, Eddie, Alex and Dave come across much more immature in their interviews than what was displayed of Ray in this flick.

Still could be the devil but I think VH and their ego's were more likely the cause of the problem and its been turned around on Ray.

Watch the "Finding the first gig" segment of the special features DVD and you'll get a nice nugget......

A brief discussion of how Geddy was temporarily fired from the band at Ray's urging and his almost immediate re-instatement by John Rutsey.

Ray's body language during that segment will be great fodder for this thread.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

We're not saying the guy's a saint. But blaming everything on him is ridiculous and immature.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Watch the "Finding the first gig" segment of the special features DVD and you'll get a nice nugget......

A brief discussion of how Geddy was temporarily fired from the band at Ray's urging and his almost immediate re-instatement by John Rutsey.

Ray's body language during that segment will be great fodder for this thread.
    Ok one issue with Rush in 35 years plus his replacement was Neil Peart. I mean that is like swapping out Mark Stone for not even Michael Anthony but for Paul McCartney.

I am just saying that I look at two bands. One has a screwed up career and when this guy hooked up with him, it continued. The other has been stable and is filled with mature intelligent guys and he has been there for 35 years.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 18,050 Times in 8,921 Posts

It is their band, blaming the dysfunction of the band on Ray Danniels is foolish.

Ed, Al, Sam, Dave and Mike deserve all the blame for what happened in 1996. Ray deserves some blame too as it happened on his watch, but damn, they were grown men in their forties. If they had not progressed past a teenage maturity level by that point in their lives it is their fault, not Ray's.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Then I guess it just depends on who's story you believe. Sam's leaked bio chapters a few years back seems to support Ray's way of trying to tinker with shit, eg - Ged's temporary dismissal from Rush. I seem to recall Sammy remarking that ousting Geddy from Rush was still a consideration in Ray's head all those years later - which Sam thought (and rightfully so) was absurd.

Ray Danniels obviously did something for Rush. Maybe he knew how to bullshit in a way that kept the band in business and the three guys happy, but as bands VH and Rush are like night and day. They dont play the same, they aren't the same. The mechanics couldn't be further apart.

One thing remains constant though.....Ray Danniels is a douche supreme. Watch both discs of BLTS and decide for yourself.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Dude, you have to be kind of an a-hole to succeed in the music business. It's not like your regular 9 to 5 job. It's filled with crooks and thieves. Club owners are basically making it a daily business to steal from musicians. The manager has to be ruthless to even make for the band what would in any other field be considered minimum wage. So don't expect any successful band manager to be some kind of Ghandi type figure. All that can be said about RD is that he had AMAZING success with Rush. They're riding what must be like their 5th wave of popularity, with yet another comeback, being in "I Love You Man," Colbert show, the documentary, etc. I believe management has something to do with that. It's not like suddenly wrote a world wide hit. They are just back in the popular consciousness through all these different mediums.

Compare this with a poorly managed Californian band that shall remain nameless, and their slow disappearance from popular culture...
    Little Dreamer

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Then I guess it just depends on who's story you believe. Sam's leaked bio chapters a few years back seems to support Ray's way of trying to tinker with shit, eg - Ged's temporary dismissal from Rush. I seem to recall Sammy remarking that ousting Geddy from Rush was still a consideration in Ray's head all those years later - which Sam thought (and rightfully so) was absurd.

Ray Danniels obviously did something for Rush. Maybe he knew how to bullshit in a way that kept the band in business and the three guys happy, but as bands VH and Rush are like night and day. They dont play the same, they aren't the same. The mechanics couldn't be further apart.

One thing remains constant though.....Ray Danniels is a douche supreme. Watch both discs of BLTS and decide for yourself.
    The guys in Rush are smart, know what they want and tell their manager what to go get done. VH on the other hand let their manager get in their head and manipulate them. Leffler was apparently one not to take that to far off the path where as Ray Danniels had no problem doing whatever the hell he could get away with. In other words, he is like pretty much any other manager in the business. He makes the decisions the band can't/won't/will allow him to.