Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 10:49 PM
    Liked 981 Times in 546 Posts

Premium Member

Default Gene Meros (FW engineer) Interview

Strangely enough we never hear about one Gene Meros. But Fair Warning, to many of us VH's best album, was engineered by 2 guys. Donn Landee, of course, but also Gene Meros. He's a bit more vocal about it than the elusive Landee. From his web site (interview from 1990):

"Meanwhile Gene, was on the move again, this time to the hallowed halls of one of L.A.'s hottest properties when it comes to recording music-Sunset Sound.

Enlisted as second engineer, Gene worked with production mega-man Ted Templeman and engineer extraordinaire Donn Landee on Van Halen's Women and Children First and Fair Warning albums. Recounting what it was like working on those particular recording, he leans back smiling and says, "Now that stuff was a lot of fun! I remember that Women and Children First was real spontaneous, and it happened a lot faster than the other one. We went in and did it in about four days. It was like total energy and real quick. It had more of a wide-open live sound, whereas Fair Warning was more of a painful process. There was much more experimentation going on. It was done in a different way. There was more time spent on arranging things in the studio, getting sounds, and laying down the various tracks. Edward (Van Halen) was getting more and more into studio techniques at that time, whereas before, they would just come in and bang 'em out without even thinking about how they were recorded. But by the time Fair Warning was recorded , Edward was more interested in the ins and outs of studio technology, and he went on to build his own studio right after that record."
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 454 Times in 212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Edward was more interested in the ins and outs of studio technology, and he went on to build his own studio right after that record."
    And has only come out at certain dates to see if he can see his shadow or not.....................
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.11.16 @ 11:40 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I wish this dude would give more details regarding the studio sessions and more specifically, the band's behavior and activities.

10.10.16 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 57 Posts

Nice, LD - thanks. Your posts regarding VH, that I've read are eerily similar to my thoughts, lol.

The part about the time-span getting an album "done" vs. the first 2-3 is what kills me with this band. Don't they know that they can knock out a raw track in 500 minutes?! Well, they used to, and they were some of the best tracks ever in the history of the band, and they didn't have their own studio...

Why was VH "one" maybe their best album ever (finished fast), and yet they can't knock out some stuff for the fans here-and-there? I get their early tunes had been well-rehearsed on the road over the past, but damn! Can you imagine what true VH fans would do to get their hands on something new with Roth? A teaser, floor remnants, something resembling the unreleased WB tracks from '77... Whether it leads to anything or not, at least it gives.........

Kinda like this, but 5150 non-live :
    Last edited by dirtymovies; 07.01.10 at 07:15 PM.