Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 2,089 Times in 680 Posts

Default Very touching Eddie Van Halen story @ VHND

Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

AW! No doubt Eddie is a very sweet, kind, good hearted, precious man with a heart of gold....I've known this all along.....

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

countdown to when we see the "what happened to 'this' Ed?" posts and the ones about "too bad he's a bitter fucking dick salesguy who wouldn't even offer a discount on one of his guitars nowadays" and "fuck him he hates his fans."

I thought it was a rather touching story. Thanks for posting. I don't get over to the news desk as often as I used to.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

its been on Dweezil's site for ages now...he recently updated it saying that he's back in touch with Ed because this story found it's way into Eddies inbox and he picked up the phone. Did you also know Eddie gave Dweezil the 'Rasta' guitar when he visited 5150?...theres a video on his site of him performing 'Crazy Train' with Jack Black on vocals using the guitar.
    one of our guitar room residents (Jimi) has been in contact with Dweezil telling him the history of the guitar because it hasn't always been the Rasta, it was originaly the 'Unchained' and Ed just gave him that huge piece of VH history.
    the guy may be many things but deep down somewhere he does have a heart of gold....its just well hidden sometimes

http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/videos/36
    http://www.dweezilzappaworld.com/art...n-rasta-guitar
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 06.29.10 at 11:03 AM.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    countdown to when we see the "what happened to 'this' Ed?" posts and the ones about "too bad he's a bitter fucking dick salesguy who wouldn't even offer a discount on one of his guitars nowadays" and "fuck him he hates his fans."

I thought it was a rather touching story. Thanks for posting. I don't get over to the news desk as often as I used to.

Sigh..sad but true for the most part Broken....Ah, people are so freakin clueless sometimes it nauseates me. You are always the same person no matter what...You are born a certain way and you can't change genetics....The reason we do and say things, the reason why we have certain feelings about this or that is because of things we have had to deal with in our lives, and everything we go through, we go through for a reason...good or bad....and because we've went through things makes us who we are today. Ed's no different....he still has that same wonderful kind heart that he always has, he just doesn't reveal it as openly as he used to because at some point in his life, just like the rest of us, he has been hurt or screwed over....

I could never get tired of hearing Dweezil's Ed story...
    Last edited by Kimmie5150; 06.29.10 at 11:09 AM.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Did you also know Eddie gave Dweezil the 'Rasta' guitar when he visited 5150?...theres a video on his site of him performing 'Crazy Train' with Jack Black on vocals using the guitar.
    one of our guitar room residents (Jimi) has been in contact with Dweezil telling him the history of the guitar because it hasn't always been the Rasta, it was originaly the 'Unchained' and Ed just gave him that huge piece of VH history.
    Cool story! Thanks.

One of our linkers was backstage hanging with Dweezil a few weeks ago and Dweezil told him, and I quote:

"That the new music is great, that they are recording a new album and that he thinks it will come out next year."

More soon, I'm sure...

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

"I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Thought I heard this story before,

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/dwee...vh-t46499.html

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

I don't want to come off as an EVH apologist but I think the person Eddie is different than the businessman Eddie. It seems that if there is money around, he can be a pain the ass. Whether its Dave, Sammy, Mike, Sterling, Peavey or others there seems to be a pattern.

However it seems that he is able to keep long friendships with people outside his business dealings. Hell him and Valerie are still close and he is friends with her brother and new husband.

Anyway cool story even though I have read it before. I am glad that he and Dweezil have reconnected.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

It's easy to caricature certain elements of this board with wide-brush, but (although there are a handful that do fit that caricature) it is important to realize that legitimate criticism of Ed's behavior over the last 12 years is a far cry from hater talk listed above. It is much easier to draw lines in the sand and to polarize (shocking on the Internet, I know!) it than it is have a descent discussion.

Ed's done some awesome things musically, personally and charitably in his life. In fact, we probably have no idea what the man has done for charity as most chose to make that a private manner. I love it when rock stars take care of other rock stars kids.

I'm kidding, of course. I dig that Dweezle story a lot.

But, the man also has deep flaws, too. You cannot deny that the last 12 years of behavior towards his family, band-mates, fans and himself has less than ideal. Stating this fact doesn't put one in judgement of Edward Van Halen, it is just trying to make sense of this mad-musical genius who, in spite of all his potential, has become something of a Greek tragedy of late. We keep coming back here hoping that he gets a grip, but with each tick of the clock, another page is being written in the history books, and this story is not one that is ending on the up-note.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

This story is well known. Of course he WAS a cool guy. Why else would we be on this site? Because of EVH 1996-2010? Hell no.

Now if anyone would find such a story from EVH in 2010 or in the last 10 years, then it would totally rock.

I mean EVH was totally amazing to Jason Becker. Numerous examples like that. Not so many in recent years. EVH has changed for the worse, and is blaming his fans for it.

Yes, there is reason to be displeased by his attitude in recent years.
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

people need to move along at some point if they dont admire him as a person. i dont get the constant whining at all.
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

I agree.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    This story is well known. Of course he WAS a cool guy. Why else would we be on this site? Because of EVH 1996-2010? Hell no.

Now if anyone would find such a story from EVH in 2010 or in the last 10 years, then it would totally rock.

I mean EVH was totally amazing to Jason Becker. Numerous examples like that. Not so many in recent years. EVH has changed for the worse, and is blaming his fans for it.

Yes, there is reason to be displeased by his attitude in recent years.
    There was this piece a while back on VHND:

Van Halen donates to cancer-stricken deputy
    Monday, 2 March 2009
    We at the Van Halen News Desk just learned that Eddie, Alex, and Wolfgang Van Halen have donated some signed items for an auction to help to help a Southland sheriff’s deputy who is fighting acute myeloid leukemia. (The full story is below).

This news doesn’t surprise us, as we know that Eddie Van Halen actually does this sort of thing all the time. But because he prefers his personal life to remain private, his generosity and love for others often goes unnoticed.

Edward buys food for the homeless in the Los Angeles area and donates both time and money to charities. He visits those whom are terminally ill and wish to meet him, as well as so many other genuine acts of kindness. Ed is a caring, loving and emotional individual who does some really great things for people.

There was also something more recently, but for the life of me I can't remember where I heard or saw it but it totally stuck in my memory because of all the time of inactivity from Ed.....I think it was around January or February... As the story goes:
    Something to do with a kid who had a cancer of some kind. He went down to the hospital to visit him after hearing that the family was having severe financial issues with the treatments. In the news story he saw, the kid was wearing an Ipod, and when asked by the interviewer what his favourite music was, VH was mentioned as a band he liked very much because he was learning to play the guitar. No figures were divulged, but apparently on the visit, he was told in person by the boys father that he learned about VH and Eddie from his Dad, and loved all the CD's as well as was learning to play guitar. (His Dad plays too) The next day someone came to the hospital with a large delivery; a new Wolfgang guitar. Not sure of the authenticity of the story, but cool nonetheless if true. Don't see why it would'nt be. He's done this stuff in the past.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I don't want to come off as an EVH apologist but I think the person Eddie is different than the businessman Eddie. It seems that if there is money around, he can be a pain the ass. Whether its Dave, Sammy, Mike, Sterling, Peavey or others there seems to be a pattern.

However it seems that he is able to keep long friendships with people outside his business dealings. Hell him and Valerie are still close and he is friends with her brother and new husband.

Anyway cool story even though I have read it before. I am glad that he and Dweezil have reconnected.
    Hell, I'm just glad Eddie is becoming the Eddie we used to know again. Trust, Me, I've known and lost people to alcohol, but along their path, there comes a point of irreversable damage. Looks like Ed stopped in time, and that's a miracle in itself, but it's cool to see him come back to form. I know, I've been tough on him over the years in some of my posts, but that's just from my selfishness, and the fact that I have little patience for people who throw it all away for the bottle, or whatever their choice of chemical.

I truly beleive Van Halen is one of the greatest bands in history. I'm not a fanatical person, but it surprises me how much VH has stuck with me over the years. I have a huge musical taste, and have played numerous genres in...Oh I don't even know how many bands, and enjoy it.....but I gotta tell you, there's just something magical every time I throw in a copy of Fair Warning, and those killer tapped and muted notes of Mean Street slowly rise and claw their way out of the speakers. I still get chills after all these years, and I first bought that album the week of release!!! Man! I'm old!!! lol. The guys just a monster.....and a living guitar legend.
    Fuck these prick wannabe critic types who discount VH (or all "Classic Rock") as irrelevant. Irrelevant...why? Because it's not the current flavour of the week, here today, gone tomorrow top 40 tripe? Fine! I'll take musical substance; virtuosity, and talent over "Bitch this/ 'Ho 'Dat" or some 16 year old chick who can only sing with the use of AutoTune(managed by her father.....Eeewwwwww) shoving her sewed on titties into the camera to make a quick buck.
    Vh are part of Rock & Roll history....The bible for the next generation of musicians who hopefully follow them and make killer music for our kids and grandkids. I may sound totally corny, but it's true. Music got me through some tough times in my life. it made me feel better listening to tunes from a different time, or lyrics that you could take into perspective. It inspired me to play when I first listened to Clapton, Hendrix, Berry, Page, Beck, and even stuff like the Ventures, who my dad loved.

Long Live VH!!!
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 06.29.10 at 03:47 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.