F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Parents sue after sons cut by hockey team!

Seriously...you tried...you didn't make it. End of story. Focus, practice and try again next year. Just another example of kids expecting everything to be handed to them and their parent's backing them. Brutal.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/gthl/a...t-by-team?bn=1

Parents sue GTHL after sons cut by team
    Published On Mon Jun 28 2010

Two sets of parents are suing the Greater Toronto Hockey League, one of its clubs and four coaches for $25,000 each because their sons were cut by the Avalanche Minor Sports Club midget junior A team during tryouts in April.

It’s the first time parents in the GTHL have ever taken legal action against the league or one of its teams for declining the services of their children, says league president John Gardner.

Even nationally, it’s a rare event.

“We have had very few lawsuits on ice time or (player) cuts,” said Hockey Canada's Glen McCurdie director of member services. “There are more threats than actual suits.”

Vito Valela and David Longo are both suing on behalf of their sons, Christopher and Daniel respectively. Besides the GTHL, Avalanche Minor Sports president Anthony Iantorno as well as team officials Doriano Pistarelli, Andy Vandenberk, Felice Guglielmi and Peter Posca are named as defendants in the action.

“Their direct actions have caused irreparable psychological damage to Daniel Longo’s self esteem as an impressionable teenager and demoralized Daniel as an athlete and team hockey player with his peers,” the Longo statement of claim reads. “The conduct by all defendants destroyed the dignity of my son, whom in good conscience gave his team nothing but his best efforts.”

Valela’s statement of claim states: “When Christopher was advised of his termination by my wife and I, he vowed never to play the game he loved since childhood. And, morevoer, his misguided group of defendants demoralized my wife and I, whom had gone well beyond the call of duty as parents in support of the Toronto Avalanche hockey team for two seasons.”

None of the claims have been proved in court.

Christopher has signed with Hillcrest Summits, the statement reads.

“Thank the good Lord that my son had the courage and strength to compose himself in his demoralized state,” reads the statement of claim.

A statement of defence from the defendants says more than 70 players tried out for the Avalanche Midget Jr. team.

“We were looking for 17 players. It was inevitable there were going to be players released. … All players attending try-outs from the Minor league level to the National League level (i.e. NHL and Canadian Olympic Team) realize that not making the team they are trying out for is a strong possibility and a lawsuit does not solve anything.”

Both teens had been with the Avalanche 2009-2010. Longo’s claim states that Daniel was never issued a permission to skate form — which allows a player to try out for another team — so he believed “Daniel was in fact on the team.”

Both complaints cite that coaches Guglielmi and Posca were suspended for a year by the GTHL for tampering on May 20, 2009 and therefore, the parents claim the men were not legitimately able to advertise themselves as coaches for 2010-2011 season, run the tryouts in April and ultimately cut their 15-year-old sons.

“They terminated my son and the GTHL supported that ‘illegal authority’,” Vito Valela told the Star.

“It wasn’t just that they (coaches) were under suspension,” Longo said. “It was the way they cut them and the method they used.”

However, GTHL executive director Scott Oakman confirmed although the coaches were under suspension, the rules permit any player or team official whose suspensions run past the conclusion of games played in a season to participate in tryouts .

“There is no indication they have violated any rules that I am aware of at this time,” Oakman said and added that neither parent has requested a hearing as required when players are aggrieved.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

and this is yet another reason why my son will never be involved in organized hockey. Too many of the parents are absolutely impossible to deal with.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    and this is yet another reason why my son will never be involved in organized hockey. Too many of the parents are absolutely impossible to deal with.
    Christ...you have no idea how bad it is.

I was the assistant coach for my sisters roller hockey team a few years back and as a team, we were pretty good. But behind the scenes, it was ugly. The parents always complaining to the coach about their kids getting enough time to play. Someone actually blamed my sister, the goalie, for loosing one of their games. My sister was one of the top roller hockey goalies of her age group at the time and she got to play at a national championship in detroit.

Anyways, the backstabbing of the parents is insane. They were always complaining that they spent all of this money for us to go to tournaments when their kid didnt get enough floor time which was absolute BULLSHIT.

Yeah hockey parents are bat shit crazy. Though committed to watching their kid play and make sure they succeed, they are bat shit crazy.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901 View Post

I was the assistant coach for my sisters roller hockey team a few years back and as a team, we were pretty good. But behind the scenes, it was ugly. The parents always complaining to the coach about their kids getting enough time to play. Someone actually blamed my sister, the goalie, for loosing one of their games. My sister was one of the top roller hockey goalies of her age group at the time and she got to play at a national championship in detroit.

Anyways, the backstabbing of the parents is insane. They were always complaining that they spent all of this money for us to go to tournaments when their kid didnt get enough floor time which was absolute BULLSHIT.

Yeah hockey parents are bat shit crazy. Though committed to watching their kid play and make sure they succeed, they are bat shit crazy.
    one of my best friends has his 12 year old son in hockey (since he was 4) and I know his wife is just wishing the kid will get sick of playing. The behind the scenes politics is just stupid.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

my father was a little league coach and it was brutal....no one knows the amount of time and energy it takes to coach these kids and get them through regionals, state etc

the amount of time taken away from family and other interests is massive

I don't know what's worse...the parents who never show up, never work with their kids, never contribute anything and have no idea of what's going on with their kids ...until it's tournament time and they are bitching that their kids are not playing

or the parents who are there for every practice, questioning everthing, complaining all the time and making threats.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:12 AM
    Liked 4,812 Times in 2,456 Posts

Premium Member

Well I will say some parents gripes are understandable. I remember when I was playing baseball back around 1981, I was hitting about .450 and was passed over for the All Star team because the coaches son was supposedly hitting .500. My dad would go to all my games and would keep a box score of everybody. The kid was hitting .220 but his dad added about 270 points to his average.

Anyway he hurt his knee so I ended up taking his place on the All Star squad. My dad though never bitched. He said "well the coach is putting all the time in so he can do what he wants."

The next year, his other son was the backup catcher and he would bench me for his son. That kid was hitting .175 or something while I was around .500.

I will say I can't see most parents being as sympathetic as my dad.
    Last edited by ziggysmalls; 06.29.10 at 08:52 AM.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    Parents sue GTHL after sons cut by team
    This sounds like the script for a Phil Hendrie/"Steve Bosell" show. Of course Steve would be sueing for damage to his own self-esteem.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Well I will say some parents gripes are understandable. I remember when I was playing baseball back around 1981, I was hitting about .450 and was passed over for the All Star team because the coaches son was supposedly hitting .500. My dad would go to all my games and would keep a box score of everybody. The kid was hitting .220 but his dad added about 270 points to his average.

Anyway he hurt his knee so I ended up taking his place on the All Star squad. My dad though never bitched. He said "well the coach is putting all the time in so he can do what he wants."

The next year, his other son was the backup catcher and he would bench me for his son. That kid was hitting .175 or something while I was around .500.

that's just pathetic. my brother (back in 2002) had a good set of coaches- if either of the coaches sons sucked, they were benched. the next year, when we moved down here, he had another good set of coaches. the following year, he joined the (what i call) 'the rich peoples league'. my mom was threatened with a law suit if she didn't show up to help vend snacks and help clean up the field. those games would end around 1030 at night, and my mom goes into work around 1am. my brother quit 1/4 of the way through the season, since 'im the coaches dumbfuck for a son who cant hit a ball off a teeball stand' HAD to be in every game. the sad thing is, he was better. he got a job as an ump for the little kiddies league and made 30 bucks a game. he'd do 3 games a day.

me- i was FORCED to play softball. my team had the attitude 'fuck it, lets have a good time'. so did the coaches. we lost 15 games, won 1 (due to a forfeit- the other team sucked worse than us) and tied 3.

and any of you guys who have kids in sports- what's with the returning of the uniform? my softball team never did, but my bro's snotty team did. my bro never returned his either....
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you don’t have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Don’t forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

“Their direct actions have caused irreparable psychological damage to Daniel Longo’s self esteem as an impressionable teenager and demoralized Daniel as an athlete and team hockey player with his peers,” the Longo statement of claim reads. “The conduct by all defendants destroyed the dignity of my son, whom in good conscience gave his team nothing but his best efforts.”

Ridiculous! If the parents and the kid had any stones, this event could be a valuable life lesson. What if Michael Jordan's parents sued when he was cut from his freshman team?

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

I've coached my kids in baseball a couple of years now and the first order of business with my team is a meeting with parents. I'm very clear to every one of them that if they have a problem with what I'm doing, here's my cell number, here are my e-mail addresses, but know in advance that if you present a problem, you will be part of finding a solution.

Never had a parent issue.

Oh, and my boys know what it's like to ride the pine, too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post

your father gave you a valuable lesson in respect for authority and how to conduct yourself when things don't go your way, right there

those lessons probably serve you better in life than any baseball skill you acquired

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

This is way funny... what are they gonna do when their child becomes an adult and doesnt get a job he applies for.. or the girl he likes turns him down for a date??

Pathetic parenting!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 18,198 Times in 8,991 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    My sons hockey league was great, so far the best sports experience we have had, better than baseball, basketball or football.

It's not the sport, I think it is just luck of the draw of how many idiots you get stuck with.

I once had a mother get mad at me, I mean REALLY mad, because I actually gave the kids juice and popcorn after a tee ball game that I was coaching.

"What's wrong with that I asked?"

"The coach last year didn't do that, you are making him look bad."

I thought she was kidding, and then I just realized she was not on her meds.

People are nuts bro, and unfortunately, anyone with working genitals can have a kid. No skills required.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    People are nuts bro, and unfortunately, anyone with working genitals can have a kid. No skills required.
    Hell, with test tubes, petri dishes and turkey basters, they don't even need a complete set of mommy parts and daddy parts any more...

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901 View Post

When I was managing a roller rink about 10 years ago, it was essentially the endless bitching of the parents that tore the league down until there was nothing left...sad really.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.