Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Default House of Pain (badass!)

'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

best boot ever.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

It has always bugged me that Dave is almost always late in his live delivery.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    best boot ever.
    Disagree. This youtuber is most likely from Montreal '84, and not to take away from it as it is still a good performance, but nowhere are they as tight and cohesive as say they were on either Largo '82 or any of the South American dates from 1983. By 1984, they were strung out from the road and also a lot of tension between them. They would each take their fifteen minute solo spots as opposed to performing together the majority of the show with only a brief solo. Still though, with all that said, I enjoyed seeing them in '84. Caught them on the better night of a two night stand.

Last edited by i1sum2!; 06.24.10 at 09:35 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    Disagree. This youtuber is most likely from Montreal '84, and not to take away from it as it is still a good performance, but nowhere are they as tight and cohesive as say they were on either Largo '82 or any of the South American dates from 1983. By 1984, they were strung out from the road and also a lot of tension between them. They would each take their fifteen minute solo spots as opposed to performing together the majority of the show with only a brief solo. Still though, with all that said, I enjoyed seeing them in '84. Caught them on the better night of a two night stand.

Could not disagree with you more. I love Largo 82, love South American dates, but they are not even close to the 84 tour, and more specifically 4-19-84 Montreal. The simple fact that you weren't exactly sure which show this was shows me that you haven't seen it that often. Any diehard boot guy would know that was Montreal simply because the only other boot that exists from the whole tour (which is unfathomable in it's own right) is Vegas, and that's not complete and looks like shit. I'm not a huge fan of the choreographed stuff for any band, but the 84 tour is scripted like a movie. From the end of Unchained where they all meet at the front of the stage, from the Jump poster magically appearing on stage during the song, plus that tassle thing a roadie throws up during the end of the song, to the perfectly timed jumps at the end of each encore; Dave first then Mike and Ed simultaneously. Talk about 'tight and cohesive', it was actually over the top tight and cohesive. Beyond the planned stuff, they very simply were bigger in 84. They sold out every night of the 82 tour, but they did the same in 84, with more multiple nights. Also, the obvious jump in popularity that MTV brought them with the videos. They were never bigger than they were in 84, and the fact that's the only whole show from their height of popularity, PLUS the fact that the shooter is arguably perfect - he obviously studied the show previously - he missed nothing. All that being said, to me, far and away the best boot I own, and I own about 50 of them.

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I agree with Sum, Largo or the South American dates are the best Dave era boots in my opinion.

I never thought Dave sounded very good on most 1984 boots.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Great stuff man!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Could not disagree with you more. I love Largo 82, love South American dates, but they are not even close to the 84 tour, and more specifically 4-19-84 Montreal. The simple fact that you weren't exactly sure which show this was shows me that you haven't seen it that often. Any diehard boot guy would know that was Montreal simply because the only other boot that exists from the whole tour (which is unfathomable in it's own right) is Vegas, and that's not complete and looks like shit. I'm not a huge fan of the choreographed stuff for any band, but the 84 tour is scripted like a movie. From the end of Unchained where they all meet at the front of the stage, from the Jump poster magically appearing on stage during the song, plus that tassle thing a roadie throws up during the end of the song, to the perfectly timed jumps at the end of each encore; Dave first then Mike and Ed simultaneously. Talk about 'tight and cohesive', it was actually over the top tight and cohesive. Beyond the planned stuff, they very simply were bigger in 84. They sold out every night of the 82 tour, but they did the same in 84, with more multiple nights. Also, the obvious jump in popularity that MTV brought them with the videos. They were never bigger than they were in 84, and the fact that's the only whole show from their height of popularity, PLUS the fact that the shooter is arguably perfect - he obviously studied the show previously - he missed nothing. All that being said, to me, far and away the best boot I own, and I own about 50 of them.
    With as much old stuff that seems to have recently appeared at youtube, it could indeed have been from another 1984 show. I do have Montreal and don't think it's anything special as compared to Largo or those South American shows, all of which I have as well. Going by your description of it, you obviously prefer a huge production, which was exactly what the whole 1984 tour was about. I was probably 18 back then, and MTV was still pretty much in it's infancy. MTV catapulted VH to the stratosphere that year with nonstop video airings of Jump, Panama, and Hot For Teacher. They were in constant rotation, plus the band appeared occasionally. I lived thru that time dude, so no need to tell me about how it was. The '84 tour, in part of their new MTV status, had them pulling many two night stands and they couldn't always be at their best due to the strain of it. Also due to their popularity came their height of drug usage. Performances weren't always top notch on the '84 tour, sorry, I don't buy that at all. Van Halen's shows were always choreographed dude, from the beginning. Dave had his stage raps, Ed, Alex and Mike all had their solo spots. On the one hand, you make it sound like you didn't like choreographed shows, then turn around and say it was like a movie, and the best ever.

If one really wanted to see Van Halen at their height performance wise, then I would suggest anything from 1978 to 1981. Locked & loaded those years. Not to mention that Ed had the "brown sound" in the early years whereas by 1984 it wasn't as noticeable. It's a damn shame that Ed won't release that stuff on a boxset/DVD for us.

Agree to disagree. Largo and South America blow doors on Montreal for this guy.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should also mention that Largo is Pro Shot, whereas Montreal was done by a fan. Big difference in what you end up with. The then new Capital Center had their own film crew and, according to urban legend, one of them circulated it yrs. later.

...now if we could just get Oakland '81

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

The Largo shows were my first concert.

My brother took me, but we can't remember which one as they played two nights, so I don't know if I was at the famous bootleg show or not.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    With as much old stuff that seems to have recently appeared at youtube, it could indeed have been from another 1984 show. I do have Montreal and don't think it's anything special as compared to Largo or those South American shows, all of which I have as well. Going by your description of it, you obviously prefer a huge production, which was exactly what the whole 1984 tour was about. I was probably 18 back then, and MTV was still pretty much in it's infancy. MTV catapulted VH to the stratosphere that year with nonstop video airings of Jump, Panama, and Hot For Teacher. They were in constant rotation, plus the band appeared occasionally. I lived thru that time dude, so no need to tell me about how it was. The '84 tour, in part of their new MTV status, had them pulling many two night stands and they couldn't always be at their best due to the strain of it. Also due to their popularity came their height of drug usage. Performances weren't always top notch on the '84 tour, sorry, I don't buy that at all. Van Halen's shows were always choreographed dude, from the beginning. Dave had his stage raps, Ed, Alex and Mike all had their solo spots. On the one hand, you make it sound like you didn't like choreographed shows, then turn around and say it was like a movie, and the best ever.

If one really wanted to see Van Halen at their height performance wise, then I would suggest anything from 1978 to 1981. Locked & loaded those years. Not to mention that Ed had the "brown sound" in the early years whereas by 1984 it wasn't as noticeable. It's a damn shame that Ed won't release that stuff on a boxset/DVD for us.

Agree to disagree. Largo and South America blow doors on Montreal for this guy.
    First of all, I promise you that's from Montreal 4-19-84. I've been watching that boot since I was 12, the first one I ever got, and I watched it as recently as last weekend. Secondly, I'll repeat, there is only one other boot from the 84 tour, Vegas, and it's not even half the show.

Anyway, I should have been more specific. I'm not a big fan of the choregraphed stuff mainly in the sense of singers with backround dancers where every move they make is predetermined. I'm well aware that VH, along with many other bands, have obvious patterns. Hell, Dave says the same bits year after year - and mainly does all his bits after the exact same songs every night. The difference for me is that I just liked the stuff they did better in 84. I like the setlist better in 84. I think the 84 album blows the fuck out of Diver Down, which I love, but it's half covers as we all know. I like Ed dropping that stand/prop thing under his guitar for the Mean Street part of his solo better than I like him running and jumping against his amps on the 82 tour.

A better match of true 'boots' would be Montreal 84 vs. Montreal 82. First of all, the Largo and South American shows are actually pro shots. I have both Montreal boots. They're not even close. You may not agree with me, but it's insanely obvious that the crowds do. Montreal 84 the camera is shaking half the time. 82 the crowd is more 'observing' and screaming here and there.

At the end of the day, it's obviously just your opinion or mine - no big deal. 84 Monreal happens to be my favorite show that I own. I have about 50 boots and about 50 pro shot concerts. If I could only keep one, it would be 4-19-84. Just for the hell of it, I'll watch part of both tonight in honor of you and Largo.

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got all that the first time around, that it's from Montreal, and not Vegas. You forgot that I, in turn, said that I also own a copy of Montreal and have seen it numerous times. That particular show just doesn't move me like others do. Namely, once again, Largo and any of the South American dates. The further one goes back, the better they performed. At least with Dave's era anyway. I don't think anybody could argue that either. But, if Montreal does it for you, then so be it. To each their own.

I'll be watching Largo '82 tonight just to commemorate this fun little thread too-night as well!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

I bought the Montreal boot off ebay in 1998. I watched it once. The copy of the copy of the copy sucked so much that I haven't watched it since.