Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts

Default Bad Horsie 1 wah question

I just inherited one of these and it seems to work fine, but it's a little noisy in the off position. The guy I got it from didn't know how to fix it and got another. I suspect it just needs a cleaning (it hums a bit)

Any suggestions? Some deoxit in the jacks maybe? Anywhere inside that might need it too?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Get some CRC electronics contact cleaner. You can get it at auto stores. The stuff is great, cuz it's rated safe for nearly all electronics and plastics. I redid a whole 16 channel vintage mixing board with it, and a noisy Strat P/U selector switch that always became noisy again after cleaning with other cleaners , has been dead quiet since using it.
    Just my 2cents.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Get some CRC electronics contact cleaner. You can get it at auto stores. The stuff is great, cuz it's rated safe for nearly all electronics and plastics. I redid a whole 16 channel vintage mixing board with it, and a noisy Strat P/U selector switch that always became noisy again after cleaning with other cleaners , has been dead quiet since using it.
    Just my 2cents.
    I have some of that actually. Use it on the jacks or inside or both?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jabbo View Post
    I have some of that actually. Use it on the jacks or inside or both?
    Yeah, it's most likely the batt. disconnect on the input jack. Definately use the supplied tube. You can put a quick shot in the jacks; (I usually try to do this from the inside out to avoid overspray from getting on the very delicate coil in a wah. unless your jacks are sealed units, then you have no choice), then plug in and pull out a patchcord several times in each one, just to further break up any debris or deposit affecting a good connection. This should be it, but if it's still doing the same thing, it could be coming from the on/off switch . This happened in my Crybaby Wah. The switch had crap in it, and it was'nt fully disengaging....something to do with the way it's all grounded. I'm not sure how accessible the internals of your switch are, but if there's any visible opening, just a shot at a time, then work the switch a few times, then another quick shot....you get the idea. Let the cleaner have time to flash off for 5 minutes or so, then plug it into your rig and see how it sounds. The key is quick bursts of the cleaner. You don't want to use so much that you actually flush out the manufaturers critical lubricants out of the components, or they'll feel stiff, and wear out prematurely.
    Good luck!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

ive never really opened mine and looked close, but you may check if there looks like ny ground wires have come loose.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

There's no on/off switch. It shuts off when you take your foot off it and turns on when you put your foot on it, which is kind of cool.

I was going to spray some cleaner on a patch cord and do like you said with the jacks. I know there is one pot inside for sure and that is the one the sets the time for the wah to actually shut off.

I know for stereo equipment, if you use deoxit, it is good to follow with faderlube to relube it after as the deoxit can eat away at everything and leave the controls stiff. I will check for loose wires inside as well.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jabbo View Post
    There's no on/off switch. It shuts off when you take your foot off it and turns on when you put your foot on it, which is kind of cool.

I was going to spray some cleaner on a patch cord and do like you said with the jacks. I know there is one pot inside for sure and that is the one the sets the time for the wah to actually shut off.

I know for stereo equipment, if you use deoxit, it is good to follow with faderlube to relube it after as the deoxit can eat away at everything and leave the controls stiff. I will check for loose wires inside as well.
    Ahhh...that's right. Forgot about the no switch in the Morley. yeah, shoot a bit of cleaner in the jacks though followed by inserting and romoving the patchcord. You'd be amazed what gets dragged in there being down there on your feet. I think you said this was an older unit, and if this is an older unit, I'd be very surprised if someone did'nt spray WD-40 in there from time to time. Back in the day, a lot of people used it to clean up dirty connections, but the problem is the residue would actually trap even more dust and grime. My board had traces all over it. Nightmare to clean all the stuff and relube everything.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Ahhh...that's right. Forgot about the no switch in the Morley. yeah, shoot a bit of cleaner in the jacks though followed by inserting and romoving the patchcord. You'd be amazed what gets dragged in there being down there on your feet. I think you said this was an older unit, and if this is an older unit, I'd be very surprised if someone did'nt spray WD-40 in there from time to time. Back in the day, a lot of people used it to clean up dirty connections, but the problem is the residue would actually trap even more dust and grime. My board had traces all over it. Nightmare to clean all the stuff and relube everything.
    Yeah, it's 12 years old, but it seems to otherwise work fine and for the price ($0), I thought it was definitely worth the elbow grease to get it as close to new as possible. I am going to clean it out today and report back