Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:30 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Please Don't Feed Our Bums

'Please Don't Feed Bums' Sticker Controversy

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpps/news...622-fc_8245343

(CANVAS STAFF REPORTS) - A town known for bumper stickers is getting some attention because of one of its newest.

"Welcome to Ocean Beach," the sticker read. "Please Don't Feed Our Bums."

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that smoke shop employee Ken Anderson and a friend came up with the idea a few weeks ago. Now it is being sold at their store, The Black, along with tobacco paraphernalia.

Anderson complained about what he called a new sort of transient, young, able-bodied, rude and aggressive. He said they travel in groups with knives on their belts and pit bulls as they demand money.

"They have no respect for [Ocean Beach] or for the people who live here," said Anderson, 42.

The sticker, sold for $2.50, plays on the National Parks' "Don't Feed The Bears" sticker. Anderson also printed up T-shirts and hats with the same message.

MyFox Phoenix reported that the store has sold nearly 500 of the stickers.

David Surwilo, the San Diego Police Department's community relations officer for the Ocean Beach community, told the Tribune that the transients are known as "travelers" and move from city to city in groups. He said for them homelessness is a lifestyle, not a circumstance.

Frank Gormlie, 62, who runs the OB Rag blog , said that the stickers do not correctly portray Ocean Beach, which he describes as a "place of laid-back tolerance." He said the bumper stickers "carry a message of hate and dehumanize the homeless."

The Tribune said Gormlie, a community activist, is urging people to boycott The Black.

Anderson said he would continue to sell the bumper stickers as long as there is demand.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
    [B]

Anderson said he would continue to sell the bumper stickers as long as there is demand.
    And good for him.

Aggressive bums are not a good breed.

I went to the Rose Festival downtown a couple weeks ago here in Portland and had the pleasure of walking my family past a "pack" of these "young, able bodied" aggressive looking types. They even had a pit bull. Prison Tats etc. They had a sign that said "CRACK ain't CHEAP!! YA HEARD ME?!" One was about to ask me for cash and I told him no with a look before he even had a chance.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    And good for him.

Aggressive bums are not a good breed.

I went to the Rose Festival downtown a couple weeks ago here in Portland and had the pleasure of walking my family past a "pack" of these "young, able bodied" aggressive looking types. They even had a pit bull. Prison Tats etc. They had a sign that said "CRACK ain't CHEAP!! YA HEARD ME?!" One was about to ask me for cash and I told him no with a look before he even had a chance.
    I really feel like blowing a fuse today after reading about Mexico's president and illegal mexican's demanding Arizona's law be labled "unconstitutional", now have to hear about shit eating, snot nosed fucking hippies demanding handouts?
    I need a nap before I start shooting. Fucking tolerence is pushing patience right out the window, and good people are going to start snapping like rice crispies all over California.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shamalama View Post
    I really feel like blowing a fuse today after reading about Mexico's president and illegal mexican's demanding Arizona's law be labled "unconstitutional", now have to hear about shit eating, snot nosed fucking hippies demanding handouts?
    I need a nap before I start shooting. Fucking tolerence is pushing patience right out the window, and good people are going to start snapping like rice crispies all over California.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

HAHAHA I thought of Falling Down after reading this, too

There are people who are legitimately down on their luck living on the streets, but it does upset me when I see healthy young people asking strangers for handouts. Especially when they're aggressive and go after families who they assume will be intimidated. I remember one night in Dallas, a guy in his twenties who couldn't have been any older than me came up and asked me for cash. He wasn't disabled or ill looking in anyway, so I told him no. He tried to guilt me into giving up some money and I told him I don't work and pay taxes while going to school to give up my money for people who are too lazy to do the same. It was so irritating.
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

To preface this, I understand that some people just need help, and many homeless people are mentally ill. I would support a solid plan that helped them out.

That said, I am so burned out with the homelss. Because Monterey lies 150 miles to the south of San Francisco and 45 miles south of Santa Cruz; two cities with "progressive" homeless policies, I too often have to deal with bums with an attitude.

I have to patrol the place where I work and chase off winos who are sleeping in our parking garage. I have to chase bums out of the lobby who are trying to score free coffee. We had to spend $2000 on new security this year because of homeless people in a year when we just aren't making money.

Should I walk down the street to the bank I have a gauntlet of bums asking - make that demanding money from me.

I have been attacked, threatened with attack, and had all kinds of things done by homeless people. The police often don't do anything too, and I have to make it clear that if they do not deal with the homless who threaten me that I most certainly will. Then the police threaten me, and I then remind them that all they have to do is their job so someone else doesn't have to.

I'm sick of it.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 1,485 Times in 906 Posts

Wow, I have never heard of this before. This is just crazy!!! I can understand why people are pissed off.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    To preface this, I understand that some people just need help, and many homeless people are mentally ill. I would support a solid plan that helped them out.

That said, I am so burned out with the homelss. Because Monterey lies 150 miles to the south of San Francisco and 45 miles south of Santa Cruz; two cities with "progressive" homeless policies, I too often have to deal with bums with an attitude.

I have to patrol the place where I work and chase off winos who are sleeping in our parking garage. I have to chase bums out of the lobby who are trying to score free coffee. We had to spend $2000 on new security this year because of homeless people in a year when we just aren't making money.

Should I walk down the street to the bank I have a gauntlet of bums asking - make that demanding money from me.

I have been attacked, threatened with attack, and had all kinds of things done by homeless people. The police often don't do anything too, and I have to make it clear that if they do not deal with the homless who threaten me that I most certainly will. Then the police threaten me, and I then remind them that all they have to do is their job so someone else doesn't have to.

I'm sick of it.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

04.24.17 @ 11:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We got a Bum down the street from my place. This dude has an IPOD, Portable DVD Player, BRAND NEW NIKE'S, and pushes a basket around asking for handouts. He's got a pretty funky looking Basket that he pushes his belongings in. The trippy thing is, I go to this donut shop every Sunday, and one Sunday he pulled in and ordered a dozen donuts, mainly Cinnamon rolls and Bear claws, 2 large coffees and he pulls out a rack of $$$$100.$$$ Bills?

What gets me is, he is a rich bum if that makes any sense
    All songs written and performed by:

Edward Van Halen: Lead Guitars, Backround vocals
    Sammy Hagar: Lead Vocals, Acoustic/Guitars
    Michael Anthony: Bass/ Backround Vocals
    Alex Van Halen: Drums/Percussions/Back Vocals
    Sammy Hagars solos available on Geffen
    Special Thanks to: Valerie, Wolfie, Sue, Kari,Claudio for introducing the RedRocker to us Al's Harem and kids, Elisha, Taylor, Kama/ all the fans past and present: all recordings done at "5150" where else! A nod and wink to Ed Leffler.
    Irving Azoff/ All the staff at Warner Bros. past and present/ Gary Cherone for giving his all/ David Lee Roth for getting us there and oh yea Ray Daniels, for keeping the bathrooms clean during all the performances. Oh yea, your fucking check is in the mail and next time you whip your bullshit on us again, where taking your ass to Cabo and pounding mud up your ass till you cough up sand for the loss of 8 years. nuff said, IT"S 5150 TIME

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

That sign means something different in the UK.