adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:46 AM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default don't go in the water

'Jaws' 35th anniversary: How one shark changed summer movie blockbusters

In the summer of 1975, the movie “Jaws” made people across America stop thinking it was safe to go into the water.

.Instead, they went to the movies to get scared half to death by a wunderkind director named Steven Spielberg, a testy mechanical shark and perhaps the most menacing musical score in the history of cinema.

“Jaws” debuted on June 20, 1975. Universal Studios gambled that by unleashing the movie in wide release to theaters across the country, then an uncommon practice, and coupling the release with a massive TV ad campaign, the film would be big. They were wrong.

It was huge.

“Jaws” played in theaters for months and earned more than $470 million, thus becoming the first summer movie blockbuster, according the book “Blockbuster: How the Jaws and Jedi Generation Turned Hollywood into a Boom-Town” (Simon & Schuster, 2004).

The picture remained the biggest box-office hit of all time until George Lucas bumped it from the top spot two years later with another summer smash, “Star Wars.”

What makes the story even more remarkable is that “Jaws” was a movie plagued by production problems.

Spielberg, who had previously directed only one feature, “The Sugarland Express,” was running behind schedule and way over budget. The movie was filmed on Martha’s Vineyard and shooting lasted nearly 160 days, instead of the scheduled 55, and cost more than double its original $4 million budget, according to “America’s Film Legacy: The Authoritative Guide to the Landmark Movies in the National Film Registry” (The Continuum International Publishing Group, 2010).

To make matters worse, the film’s title player, the actual shark, was a malfunctioning mess that rarely worked. In the “Making of Jaws,” a documentary produced for the movie’s 30th anniversary, Spielberg talked about the frustration he felt with the nonfunctioning Great White.

But those mechanical mishaps may have been the most important technical snafus in movie history.

The frequent delays allowed for the script to be continually refined. And because his primary special effects prop wasn’t working properly, Spielberg had to improvise. As a result, the shark (nicknamed Bruce, after the director’s lawyer) didn't make its first full appearance onscreen until 81 minutes into the 124-minute movie.

In keeping images of the shark off-screen for most of the film, Spielberg employed a strategy often used by the master of suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, wrote film critic Roger Ebert in his book, “Great Movies II” (Random House, 2005).

"A bomb is under the table and it explodes. That is surprise," Ebert quotes Hitchcock. "The bomb is under the table but it does not explode. That is suspense."

Spielberg leaves the toothy shark under the table for most of the movie, Ebert explains, and the payoff is one of the most effective thrillers ever made.

The eerie suspense, combined with the crisp cinematography and John Williams’ unforgettable score, made “Jaws” a spine-tingling sensation.

The astounding success of “Jaws” opened the eyes of studio executives to the moneymaking ability of summer movies. It may be hard to believe today, but in 1975, the summer months were considered a dumping ground for movies, according to the industry compendium “George Lucas’s Blockbusting” (Harper Collins, 2010).

“In the early 1970s, the only movies that got simultaneous wide release were big-budget turkeys that the studios wanted to play off quickly before word [got out],” according to “George Lucas’s Blockbusting.”

After “Jaws,” studios reversed course and started programming big-budget, high-concept films for the summer. And instead of slow burning, word-of-mouth "platform" release patterns, Hollywood started rolling out its high-profile films in wide release, for maximum impact.

For better or worse, “Jaws” and its fellow 1970s phenomenon “Star Wars” ushered in the modern era of movies as mass commercial commodities, so-called tentpole pictures that could sell as much merchandise as movie tickets, according to “Easy Riders, Raging Bulls,” (Simon & Schuster, 1998). "Jaws" merchandise included t-shirts, plastic fins for swimmers and a game.

One can only wonder how it all would have turned out if the shark had actually worked the way Spielberg wanted it
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:46 AM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

We're gonna need a bigger boat!!
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

I saw that Making of Jaws show, it was really good. Dreyfuss was talking how they would get a call when the shark was actually working and would rush to the set to film. He said one time they got the call, and when he showed up, the shark was head first in the water, with the tail in the air, straight up. Spielberg was just sitting on the edge of the dock staring at it. He was probably wondering WTF he had got into

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,472 Times in 899 Posts

My wife's favorite movie.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, BOBW...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:10 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

One of the best movies of all time. One that if you are filling through channels and you land on it, you will always stop and watch it.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyWaterDoggie View Post
    One of the best movies of all time. One that if you are filling through channels and you land on it, you will always stop and watch it.
    Agreed! Ive seen the movie a million times but it is still one of those movies that you have to stop and watch because it is so good! The scene with shaw, dreyfus and scheider in the boat is still one of my favorite scenes of all time.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 6,823 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Robert Shaw's story about the sailors in the water... and then being chomped in half and swallowed by Bruce later on... Classic!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jaws is timeless! Even the ride at Universal Studios is terrifying. I'll go on any roller coaster and I'm going skydiving this Summer, but I will NEVER go on that ride again. Scares the hell out of me
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

This movie is the reason why, every time I go into a lake or an ocean, I think....."Hmmmm. What's lurking below my feet?"

But this movie is ALSO the reason why as a child and to this day the Great White Shark is my favourite animal next to the Grizzly Bear.

One of the best movies of all time, IMO.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Where's Filthy on this?
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Where's Filthy on this?
    He's swimmin' with bow-legged women.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum