Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default GEAR YOU'VE PARTED WITH...BUT WISH YOU HADN'T

Just like the title says.....What gear have you owned and sold, or otherwise parted with (Stolen/whatever)? Doesn't have to be just a guitar, but that's what most of us are in here for. tell us a bit about it and why you regret selling it. Money can be a huge factor given the going prices of vintage, even not so vintage gear these days. If you got pics, even better.

For me, it's my:
    91' Les Paul Standard: Great sounding guitar. Played like a dream, and beautiful finish with ebony board, but finances at the time forced me to sell. Think about it every time I pick up a guitar to this day! "Damn! "

1972 Marshall Super Lead: Sold it to a buddy in 93 for $500.00 bucks. Going rate at the time.......but check out Craigslist now for a Marshall of this age.

1987 Yamaha acoustic: Sounded beautiful.....Put my steeltoe boot through it during a Jim Beam fueled fight with the ol' lady. Totally my own stupidity, and deeply resent her for my actions! (Just kidding)

1990 Les Paul Studio: Broken neck while I was throwing a party. One of my friends tried strapping it on, but the strap was folded back on the button, and it fell neck first onto my coffee table. Broke the headstock off just above the nut, and tore a chunk out of the top side of the neck. One look, and "Taps" started playing in my head.......then at my friends funeral....Not really.....He paid me outright for the guitar. I gave him the pickups out of the corpse for owning up to his breaking it.

1974 or 75 SG: Great little guitar. Had some history, looked grubby as hell, but kick ass guitar. Sold it for other gear at the time: my current Hiwatt 4x12 cab, and my 75 Marshall 100 watt Super Lead head.

There's more, but that should get the ball rolling.

Shane
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I had this great American Made Telecaster in high school, that I sold to get enough cash to buy the then new Peavey Wolfgang.

Back in high school I was kinda of scrawny and the wolfgang look and felt fine, but now it's too small for me and that Tele was a color they didnt make very long.

God I would kill to have that guitar back.

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sold my original walnut Gibson "The Paul"
    Beautiful guitar that played wonderful. However, what I got in return at the time was enormous.
    Miss my Rat/Rat Pro distortion boxes that were stolen with some other gear back in '86.
    Sold my '85 Kramer that I regret.
    I'm sure there is more, but I'm a pack rat and almost keep everything now.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Purple flame WG special
    Ovation Glen Campbell (I think) acoustic
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.11 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sold a beautiful sunburst Music Man EVH guitar. The quilt was ridiculous and the paint was so 3 D. Plus it played great.

I guess my rationale was that Eddie was famous for playing piece of junk guitars, not beautiful, quilted, bound instruments. Plus he wrote all of the classic VH stuff on his hand made guitars. I mean the F.U.C.K. album is good, but I don't think it is a classic. Sorry for getting a little off topic.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

a pink EBMM, apparently (according to the store) it was the 1st pink EBMM-EVH imported into the U.K., i got wha i paid for it 5years down the road, but i still wish i had it
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 191 Posts

Had a Jackson Randy Rhoads 'V' stolen out of my car back in the 80s. Was never a big fan of that body style (got it used/trade), but it still hurt. Thievery always does.

Sold a Steinberger strat-style in the 90s for what amounts to peanuts. Again, the headless neck kinda rubbed me the wrong way aesthetically and I was always trying to figure out how to put a conventional neck on it, but that Trans-trem was badass. Not to mention, those things travel like a tennis racket, even if significantly heavier. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    Last edited by E-roc; 06.17.10 at 04:05 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1966 ES335 12-6 string conversion. I recorded "Holla (fo a Dolla)" on it. I needed the money. While it never saw the light of stage, it was my go-to guitar. Who knows- maybe I will find another with the same vibe. My main squeeze is Cotton Candy these days, and maybe I would be gutted if something happens to her; but the loss of my 335 haunts me.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition. Got rid of it TWICE. You'd think I woulda learned from the first time...

Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Last Online

01.22.16 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

1978 Ibanez AR150 black and heavy as heck.
    Early 70's superlead half stack.
    1978 Carvin 50 watt tube amp that was simply killer.

Sold them all at a church garage sale to a kid for around $500 in 1988 or so. He got a great deal.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a great thread topic!!

1. 1985 Cort Double neck (SG copy) with active EMG Select pickups. Yeh, it was a Cort with Select pickups, but that guitar had some freaking MOJO and would sustain and feedback with any note you wanted with control. Sounded awesome... traded it for a DSP 128 FX processor so I could have reverb on my cassette 4 track recording projects. DOH!!! I was so young and stupid.

2. 50 Watt Silver Marshall Jubilee head. Sold it in 1989 for $500. Young and stupid. Didn't think it had enough distortion to cover up my 19 year old sloppy playing.

3. 1983 Koriona Gibson explorer (TV Yellow) ... sold it for $800 a few years back. Not a bad deal, but still I kinda wish I had it still. Sounded like vintage ZZ TOP.

4. 1989 PRS 10 Top. It was Charcoal quilt and ugly so I sold it for $1600 on Ebay 10 years ago. I then bought a brand new Ibanez Jem 7VWH (which I still have) so not a bad trade off, but freakin' A ... it was a 1989 10 top from PRS.

5. 1990 American Strat (Tobacco burst) sold on Ebay for $350. It pissed me off so much at a gig I sold it the next day. Swore off strats for 5 years. Now I love them. Wish I had that guitar still ... $350 was too cheap and I could of had it worked on.

My rule of thumb for past few years ... never TRADE anything. Only sell ... and if you decide to sell be sure you REALLY don't want it. That is why I have amassed to much crap and can't afford to buy strings anymore ... but at least I haven't had any regrets over the past few years. LOL.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 96 Posts

1) White Kramer Baretta with black hardware when I was in high school. It played like butter. I sold it years ago.

2) Chiquita mini guitar (like Michael J Fox played in the first Back to the Future movie) I wish I never got rid of. I traded it for an amp at a place called Zoo Music here in Dallas.

3) Alhambra classical guitar (nylon string guitar). I fell out of love with classical guitar for a while and got rid of it. That was a great guitar.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    1990 Les Paul Studio: Broken neck while I was throwing a party. One of my friends tried strapping it on, but the strap was folded back on the button, and it fell neck first onto my coffee table. Broke the headstock off just above the nut, and tore a chunk out of the top side of the neck. One look, and "Taps" started playing in my head.......then at my friends funeral....Not really.....He paid me outright for the guitar. I gave him the pickups out of the corpse for owning up to his breaking it.
    Shane
    I feel your pain just reading about that one. That hurts.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 61 Times in 30 Posts

Donor

I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of this one. I was just in the mood for something different at the time.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

I had a 1983 Fender Super Champ in mint condition with Groove Tubes and it just screamed. I bought it for $150 (employee discount from GC) in the mid-1980s and had it professionally set up/re-biased. Left it at my ex's house in 1998 and a few years after that, I inquired about it and she had already given it away. Every now and then I look on eBay to see what those things go for... and feel like an idiot. I've never been able to get that tone since, altthough my POD is close... :-(