Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 05:05 AM
    Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

Default Live Right Here Right Now Double CD

I have been a member here since 2002 and although I usually don't post, I always enjoy reading what others have to say. I will preface my post by saying I have always and still am a David Lee Roth Van Halen fan than Van Hagar, but also respect what Sam brought to Van Halen. Being 36 years old I more or less grew up with Sammy fronting the band, although I did see David Lee Roth Solo when he came to Louisville in 94 and 2000 along with seeing him in Alabama in 03 I believe.
    A few days ago I decided to pop in the Live Right Here Right Now Double CD Van Halen put out in 1993. I had not listened to this for years and it brought back a lot of great memories of times gone by. I dont know what your opinions are of this particular CD set, but for me it was great hearing the band in a live setting and I felt like they played fantastic. I thought Ed's guitar had the "tone" and his playing was top notch. Sammy sounded terrific, Mike was as always Mike and Alex never missed a beat.. I really enjoyed some of the improvising in the middle of a few songs and it seemed like they were really enjoying playing with each other and the crowd interaction was awesome especially during Finish What Ya Started. Overall, it was great to take a walk down memory lane with that double CD.. Reminded me of the days right before the internet, being 19/20 years old and a time when Van Halen was at the top of their game. Would love to know what the rest of you all thought about that CD would love to see the discussion...
    "Sam, I'm everything your not plus a shot of 200 proof testosterone." David Lee Roth (circa 2002 Howard Stern)

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Would probably be pretty good if they didn't feel the need to basically turn it into a studio album with live bits left in.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 1,974 Times in 1,369 Posts

I really enjoyed the FAKE crowd noise during ATBL and Love Walks In. Nice studio tracks.....lol....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 1,974 Times in 1,369 Posts

I also forgot to post this. It was our RHRN topic from a year or so ago.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/revi...-t42147p4.html

BTW here is the set list from 5/14/92 & 5/15/92 Fresno, CA where they recorded this show, notice the lack of a few songs....lol..

Poundcake
    Judgement Day
    Spanked
    When It's Love
    Man On A Mission
    Panama
    Right Now
    Why Can't This Be Love
    Finish What You Started
    If You Want (Give To Live)
    Eddie Solo
    You Really Got Me
    Cabo Wabo
    Jump
    In 'N' Out
    The Dream Is Over
    Best Of Both Worlds
    Top Of The World

Favorite VH Album

Entire catalogue
    Favorite VH Song

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by meleboy View Post
    I have been a member here since 2002 and although I usually don't post, I always enjoy reading what others have to say. I will preface my post by saying I have always and still am a David Lee Roth Van Halen fan than Van Hagar, but also respect what Sam brought to Van Halen. Being 36 years old I more or less grew up with Sammy fronting the band, although I did see David Lee Roth Solo when he came to Louisville in 94 and 2000 along with seeing him in Alabama in 03 I believe.
    A few days ago I decided to pop in the Live Right Here Right Now Double CD Van Halen put out in 1993. I had not listened to this for years and it brought back a lot of great memories of times gone by. I dont know what your opinions are of this particular CD set, but for me it was great hearing the band in a live setting and I felt like they played fantastic. I thought Ed's guitar had the "tone" and his playing was top notch. Sammy sounded terrific, Mike was as always Mike and Alex never missed a beat.. I really enjoyed some of the improvising in the middle of a few songs and it seemed like they were really enjoying playing with each other and the crowd interaction was awesome especially during Finish What Ya Started. Overall, it was great to take a walk down memory lane with that double CD.. Reminded me of the days right before the internet, being 19/20 years old and a time when Van Halen was at the top of their game. Would love to know what the rest of you all thought about that CD would love to see the discussion...
    Maybe should I post in the Play Ball! Forum....

But I am not in sports but in philosophy

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    I really enjoyed the FAKE crowd noise during ATBL and Love Walks In. Nice studio tracks.....lol....
    Don't forget "Won't Get Fooled Again," the most disappointing fake I've heard from this band.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

You know....and I know we've talked about this album (and video) before. Aside from like the thread starter said the memories involved, I just could never get past the sound on this album. When I heard Andy Johns was coming back to produce it, I was thrilled, but when I got it I was like "What the hell happened?" It's abrasive sounding, the drums are way over the top. About the only good sound for the most part is Ed's guitar (Though I liked LWAN for Ed's guitar sound alot better.). One thing that always puzzled me was the songs Ed mentioned being recorded back in 85/86........No fuckin' way Ed! You can clearly hear your EBMM neck pickup all over those tunes. That, or you re-recorded parts on your EBMM. The drums I found out through a Johns interview were re-recorded at 5150 by running speakers down the hill from the studio into Ed's indoor raquetball court. to get a bigger sound with more natural reverb. He said this was actually a regret of his, but that 5150 simply did'nt have the setup to remix the drums properly.....And yes...the crowd noise. Yeah.......real only if this was everyone on hand's very first concert ever and it blew their minds beyond belief hearing When It's Love live.
    I'm thinking it was'nt. lol I'm not deminishing VH here, I love their music, and been to every concert since '84, with the exception of this latest tour. For me it simply was'nt a very good representation of the band given the supposed broad time period it was supposed to have captured. Plus, this is the point where Sam IMHO had began to turn into Bono. You know...the stage where a succesful band starts thinking they should help change the world. It's the very reason 5150 is my favourite Sam era album.

Don't get me wrong.....F.U.C.K. was great. Sonically it sounded amazing, Ed was great, and it was awesome finally hearing Mikey, but there was just something more appealing to me when Sammy wrote more about a hot summer night, listening to good tunes and trying to get a nice piece of ass, rather than calling up a phone sex line for a virtual spanking, or....well....let's not get into Right Now.

As for the video....same as above soundwise, but watching that thing is an assault on the senses. It may singlehandedly be a major contributor the ADHD diagnosis trend during the late nineties! Honestly.....how many quick edits, and regurgitated footage for various songs, numerous times do you think are in that thing? Put it this way....I wore out my VHS copy of LWAN, and have bought the DVD. I can probably count the number of times I've sat through RHRN on my left hand. Just a brutal watch. I know it was two nights, and I've tried to keep that in mind, but there's just so many discrepancies from minute to minute, that it takes the enjoyment out of watching it. It's like "Wicked guitar! Oh wait.....now it's a red guit........oh....now it's amber......oh wait....Jeez! Now Sam's wearing different pants........Wow....He's wearing a bra around his neck....No wait....Now they're panties! When did Sammy change into a cycling outfit? WTF??????????:Make it stop! barf: I'm getting sea sick!"
    Two words:Continuity Department.

Just my take on it. It could have been so much better given it's the album us diehards have waited for all those years.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 06.16.10 at 12:28 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Ya I can't watch RHRN, I don't think it is a good representation of what a VH concert is. I can't stand the way it was filmed. Has that director, I think his name is Mitch Sinoway or something, ever done anything else? Where did they did this guy up from? It's too bad because one of the best sounding VH shows I ever went to was from that tour. They played Skydome here in Toronto and sonically it was the best concert I've ever been to, period. They sounded incredible from start to finish. That DVD is a huge disappointment.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:01 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

From a video standpoint, for many of the same reasons as Sleeper, I like LWAN a lot more. I like the OU812 Tokyo vid and Molson Center Balance video better than RHRN. They weren't perfect but, unlike RHRN, they weren't seizure-inducing.

CD wise, expectations were so high that we were finally going to get a live VH album but I came away feeling flat about the whole thing because the tracks/crowd noise were so doctored. When It's Love and Love Walks In should never be in the same setlist much less on the same live CD. Ever. On the plus-side, Dreams sounded awesome and I loved the Pleasuredome jam.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:04 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

"Mine all mine" from the japan 1989 live video was included as a b side on a single for this album.

From what i remember i think it was the original tracks from 1989.

But yes pretty much everything else on RHRN was redone and the added audience noise always made me crazy!!

I hated it!!!

I heard a live broadcast from cabo wabo in the summer of 1992 where they played some of the songs that would be on RHRN and they were mixed by Eddie and Alex.

The mixes were much better - like the guitar in "Jump" was louder.
    It also included "The dream is over" which is only on the video and not the cd/cassette.
    Last edited by johnnybeane; 06.16.10 at 02:27 PM. Reason: more
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:46 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    You know....and I know we've talked about this album (and video) before. Aside from like the thread starter said the memories involved, I just could never get past the sound on this album. When I heard Andy Johns was coming back to produce it, I was thrilled, but when I got it I was like "What the hell happened?" It's abrasive sounding, the drums are way over the top. About the only good sound for the most part is Ed's guitar (Though I liked LWAN for Ed's guitar sound alot better.). One thing that always puzzled me was the songs Ed mentioned being recorded back in 85/86........No fuckin' way Ed! You can clearly hear your EBMM neck pickup all over those tunes. That, or you re-recorded parts on your EBMM. The drums I found out through a Johns interview were re-recorded at 5150 by running speakers down the hill from the studio into Ed's indoor raquetball court. to get a bigger sound with more natural reverb. He said this was actually a regret of his, but that 5150 simply did'nt have the setup to remix the drums properly.....And yes...the crowd noise. Yeah.......real only if this was everyone on hand's very first concert ever and it blew their minds beyond belief hearing When It's Love live.
    I'm thinking it was'nt. lol I'm not deminishing VH here, I love their music, and been to every concert since '84, with the exception of this latest tour. For me it simply was'nt a very good representation of the band given the supposed broad time period it was supposed to have captured. Plus, this is the point where Sam IMHO had began to turn into Bono. You know...the stage where a succesful band starts thinking they should help change the world. It's the very reason 5150 is my favourite Sam era album.

Don't get me wrong.....F.U.C.K. was great. Sonically it sounded amazing, Ed was great, and it was awesome finally hearing Mikey, but there was just something more appealing to me when Sammy wrote more about a hot summer night, listening to good tunes and trying to get a nice piece of ass, rather than calling up a phone sex line for a virtual spanking, or....well....let's not get into Right Now.

As for the video....same as above soundwise, but watching that thing is an assault on the senses. It may singlehandedly be a major contributor the ADHD diagnosis trend during the late nineties! Honestly.....how many quick edits, and regurgitated footage for various songs, numerous times do you think are in that thing? Put it this way....I wore out my VHS copy of LWAN, and have bought the DVD. I can probably count the number of times I've sat through RHRN on my left hand. Just a brutal watch. I know it was two nights, and I've tried to keep that in mind, but there's just so many discrepancies from minute to minute, that it takes the enjoyment out of watching it. It's like "Wicked guitar! Oh wait.....now it's a red guit........oh....now it's amber......oh wait....Jeez! Now Sam's wearing different pants........Wow....He's wearing a bra around his neck....No wait....Now they're panties! When did Sammy change into a cycling outfit? WTF??????????:Make it stop! barf: I'm getting sea sick!"
    Two words:Continuity Department.

Just my take on it. It could have been so much better given it's the album us diehards have waited for all those years.
    Agree with everything except F.U.C.K. being sonically great. It sounds muddy to me. A few good tunes, but a lot of filler. RHRN is basically "F.U.C.K. Live" anyway and was very stale, aside from the vomit-inducing production. Whereas LWAN (or "5150 live") was very lively, like the record. The only vomit-inducing about that DVD is Ed's pink parachute pants.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    Agree with everything except F.U.C.K. being sonically great. It sounds muddy to me. A few good tunes, but a lot of filler. RHRN is basically "F.U.C.K. Live" anyway and was very stale, aside from the vomit-inducing production. Whereas LWAN (or "5150 live") was very lively, like the record. The only vomit-inducing about that DVD is Ed's pink parachute pants.
    hahaha! LMAO. That's the thing with F.U.C.K though. For whatever reason, there must have been alternate masters. I got the disc originally the day it came out, and it was great sounding. A few years ago, I picked up another copy cuz my original got scratched, and it sounded like you described. Like mud. Don't know for sure, but that must have been the reason. Different production plant maybe? Totally agree about Ed's pants....Actually both him and Sam for that matter. It's funny. If I ever show that vid to anyone not real familiar with VH....I always warn them that this was in the mid eighties, and the clothes are laughable. It is'nt until the vid comes on and their laughing hysterically that I'm glad I gave them the heads up! They would'nt take the tuneage seriously.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    The only vomit-inducing about that DVD is Ed's pink parachute pants.
    Dude parachute pants are made out of nylon.
    What Ed's got on are cotton lounge pants from the 80's.

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH122 View Post
    Dude parachute pants are made out of nylon.
    What Ed's got on are cotton lounge pants from the 80's.
    Does it matter? They're still wildly unattractive.
    Van Halen will rock your face off!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,389 Times in 763 Posts

How about the assless chaps from the previous tour...
    Little Dreamer