VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default Modifying my Gibson MIII

i have decided after enduring the best part of 16yrs with bizzare and rarely used switching that I'm gonna re-wire my Gibson MIII. I'm planning on ditching the coil tap switch, 5-way switch, middle single coil and the tone pot, instead I'm going for a Tele type 3-way switch single volume pot and no coil taps.
    i have a set of P.R.S. Tremonti pickups on the way so they will be going in and the Gibson 'Buckers will be put aside. my only concern is the 3-way switch, will a standard Tele size one fit in place of the original 5-way?
    anyone have any other suggestions?...
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i have decided after enduring the best part of 16yrs with bizzare and rarely used switching that I'm gonna re-wire my Gibson MIII. I'm planning on ditching the coil tap switch, 5-way switch, middle single coil and the tone pot, instead I'm going for a Tele type 3-way switch single volume pot and no coil taps.
    i have a set of P.R.S. Tremonti pickups on the way so they will be going in and the Gibson 'Buckers will be put aside. my only concern is the 3-way switch, will a standard Tele size one fit in place of the original 5-way?
    anyone have any other suggestions?...
    Just looked on line. There's little to go by as far as details on the M-III switch to know if in comparison they deviated from the standard Fender types, but if it's essentially the same as a Strat/Tele in the mounting screw spacing, you should be ok using a Strat/Tele 3 way switch. In fact, most parts suppliers state the switches throw is identical in the Strat and Tele, and they offer a choice between 3 and 5 as the Strat was originally designed with a 3. (It wasn't until early players discovered that setting the swith between detents, it could give that wicked out of phase tone) If you buy a tele specific switch then they just include the single corresponding style knob. That's it. Hope I'm understanding. Hav'nt had my second cup of joe, so I could still be to foggy to comprehend the obvious!
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 06.15.10 at 09:32 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Oh!.......Just remembered.......There is another way to go if it interests you. Since the MIII came with three pickups, maybe you could try something like this: I believe this will work fine on the MIII because all connections keep everything in phase, as opposed to the Stats usual out of phase middle.

http://www.ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar...rongstrat.html

I did this to a Strat years ago, and it's an amazing mod. Gives a huge selection in tones. Dan mentions the wiring being "complicated" but it's really not. (I'm sure it's just put there for liability reasons due to the U.S.'s letigeous tendency) I did it at 17 years of age with no electronics background whatsoever. It just wasn't as pretty as a pro would do it. The diagram is so simple. Just gotta get good switches. That's the key. I went with Radio Shack specials the first time, and had to replace one within 6 months.
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 06.15.10 at 09:49 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Oh!.......Just remembered.......There is another way to go if it interests you. Since the MIII came with three pickups, maybe you could try something like this: I believe this will work fine on the MIII because all connections keep everything in phase, as opposed to the Stats usual out of phase middle.

http://www.ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar...rongstrat.html

I did this to a Strat years ago, and it's an amazing mod. Gives a huge selection in tones. Dan mentions the wiring being "complicated" but it's really not. (I'm sure it's just put there for liability reasons due to the U.S.'s letigeous tendency) I did it at 17 years of age with no electronics background whatsoever. It just wasn't as pretty as a pro would do it. The diagram is so simple. Just gotta get good switches. That's the key. I went with Radio Shack specials the first time, and had to replace one within 6 months.
    Just a thought.
    yeah thats an interesting mod and i may attack one of my Strats at some point with it, but right now I'm looking for simplicity and ease of use while on a dark stage. Sometimes with the MIII i have been known to hit the standby instead of the neck humbucker or neck single coil option, it's unbelievably easy to mess up with the way this guitar is wired/switched

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd just rip out the wiring and the mid and neck pickups and get a hot humbucker at the bridge. Wire it direct- get a volume pedal. How's that for simplicity?
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    I'd just rip out the wiring and the mid and neck pickups and get a hot humbucker at the bridge. Wire it direct- get a volume pedal. How's that for simplicity?
    lol yeah thats simple but not very far removed from most of my other gigging guitars, i play Day At The Beach by Joe Satriani on this particular guitar and i find it sounds best on the neck humbucker, so i'm gonna want to keep it, plus having a pickup there just adds a little extra versatility.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    lol yeah thats simple but not very far removed from most of my other gigging guitars, i play Day At The Beach by Joe Satriani on this particular guitar and i find it sounds best on the neck humbucker, so i'm gonna want to keep it, plus having a pickup there just adds a little extra versatility.
    I was taking the mick!!!

The other suggestions sound good to me, and I think a 3-way switch seems like your best bet.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!