Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Tennessee Man Buys Expired Police Website to Gripe About Speed Cameras.

Nobody likes getting a speeding ticket.
    Calf. lawmaker introduces bill to equalize state and city ticket policies.

But when Brian McCrary, 33, received a speeding ticket in Bluff City, Tennessee, he didn't just complain, he bought the local police department's website and used it to complain.

After receiving a $90 speeding ticket earlier this year for cruising through what he called a speed trap, McCrary went to the Bluff City Police Department's website to reschedule his hearing.

When he saw that the site's content had been replaced with a notice saying that the domain name was on the verge of expiring, he saw an opportunity. He waited a few weeks until the name had officially lapsed, and then he pounced.

"I really thought for sure that the city would renew it," said McCrary, who lives in Gray, Tennessee. "I was surprised to find that it was still out there."
    McCrary, who works for an Internet service provider and phone company, said he went to GoDaddy.com, a major domain name registrar, and bought www.bluffcitypd.com for $80.

http://www.bluffcitypd.com/

McCrary: Police Website Is a Way to Raise Awareness

Since May 22, he said he's used the site to post stories about speed cameras in an effort to get them taken down. He also features comments from other camera critics supportive of his new cause.

"I wanted to get information out about the speed traps and what it's doing to the economy around here. ... I thought this would be a good way to get some exposure," he said, adding that a state representative for the district said the camera was pulling in more than a quarter of a million dollars a month from the small community of about 1,500 people.

Until Monday, McCrary said he'd received about 1,000 unique visitors. Since the Bristol Herald Courier wrote a story about him, he said traffic has jumped to 90,000 unique visitors.

"It's phenomenal," he said. "I hope this will [attract] the attention of the local representatives to get the cameras removed."

Bluff City Police Chief David Nelson said he didn't even know they'd lost their domain name until reporters started asking questions.

"I feel like he's doing it out of revenge because he got a ticket," he said.

GoDaddy: Once a Domain Name Expires, It's Fair Game for Anyone

Nelson said he now knows that GoDaddy tried to inform the police department that the domain name was about to expire via e-mail. But the e-mails never made it through because the department switched e-mail addresses after someone hacked into their old account.

"It's just something you don't think of every day," he said. "He bought it after it had run out for us. I had no idea it had run out."

Though Nelson said he might reach out to McCrary to see if there's a way to buy back the old domain name, he said, "I'm not so sure we'll probably be able to get it back."

GoDaddy, which manages about 40 million of the 200 million registered Internet domain names, said people can register a name for one year to 10 years but, once it expires, it's fair game for anyone who wants to snap it up.

"The police chief didn't understand how the domain name worked and his tech guy was out sick and the domain name lapsed and someone else got it," said Christine Jones, general counsel for GoDaddy.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Well, I gotta say that I agree with him. I HATE those dang cameras! They are EVERYWHERE! You'll be driving down the road, then...FLASH! Those stupid camera's take the pic of you driving. They send the ticket to you in the mail with a copy of the pic. I know this cause I got a warning, it has made me more aware of my speed though.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

i love red light cameras, photo radar, etc. That said I don't have a lead foot. I like anything that slows people down to something near the limit and keeps them from flying through red lights.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Well, I'm happy for you Mike, but here, they'll send you a ticket if you're only going 2 miles over the limit. There's one where a girl got killed walking home from school, and I'm glad they put that one up, but there's another one where the speed limit is only 35 going down the turnpike, I think they should raise the speed limit there personally, because they're are alot of businesses and things there, and people FLY! Lay on their horns and flip you off IF you're going the speed limit....

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    Well, I'm happy for you Mike, but here, they'll send you a ticket if you're only going 2 miles over the limit. There's one where a girl got killed walking home from school, and I'm glad they put that one up, but there's another one where the speed limit is only 35 going down the turnpike, I think they should raise the speed limit there personally because they're are alot of businesses and things there, and people FLY! Lay on their horns and flip you off IF you're going the speed limit....

yeah, they really should get those things to only send tickets when you're a certain amount over the limit. I like the idea but the execution there is a little strange.

I've been driving for 20 years and will usually settle in at no higher than 15% over the limit and have never gotten a speeding ticket. Most of the police up here don't waste their time with people barely going over the limit like that. I know that there is a "speed trap" a minute from my house and the cops make a killing handing out tickets every weekend. I just laugh when I see people pulled over listening to them complain that going 90 in a 60 is not a big deal.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    yeah, they really should get those things to only send tickets when you're a certain amount over the limit. I like the idea but the execution there is a little strange.

I've been driving for 20 years and will usually settle in at no higher than 15% over the limit and have never gotten a speeding ticket. Most of the police up here don't waste their time with people barely going over the limit like that. I know that there is a "speed trap" a minute from my house and the cops make a killing handing out tickets every weekend. I just laugh when I see people pulled over listening to them complain that going 90 in a 60 is not a big deal.
    Yep! But the county has to get that money!

When my kids are with me, I am extra careful, but if I'm by myself, I have a BAD leadfoot! Depends on the music I'm listening to too though.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Yep! But the county has to get that money!

When my kids are with me, I am extra careful, but if I'm by myself, I have a BAD leadfoot! Depends on the music I'm listening to too though.
    i drive like my son is always in the car - habits are tough to change.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

i drive like my son is always in the car - habits are tough to change.

When I tell you this you're probably gonna think "K, she has lost her mind", but every time I get in the car, I put the key in, start it, close my eyes and I pray for God to watch over me and keep me safe, and I KNOW I'm gonna fly! Ditzy thing to do, huh?

My brother says that I only know one speed, "wide open". LOL

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

They aren't legal. Just go to court and say the evidence is hearsay and it'll get thrown out.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

When I tell you this you're probably gonna think "K, she has lost her mind", but every time I get in the car, I put the key in, start it, close my eyes and I pray for God to watch over me and keep me safe, and I KNOW I'm gonna fly! Ditzy thing to do, huh?
    you're not alone. that's why i love photo radar - to get people like you off the road.

PS - Slowing your ass down might be more effective than prayer.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

you're not alone. that's why i love photo radar - to get people like you off the road.

PS - Slowing your ass down might be more effective than prayer.

Lol...maybe so! Still hate those freakin radars and camera's though, they've taken out all of my fun for driving. Heck, I used to even drag race (when I was driving my brother's car. It had a V8 in it.).

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    They aren't legal. Just go to court and say the evidence is hearsay and it'll get thrown out.
    Nope. Totally legal.

In my hometown a court case got them shutdown for a while, but the state supreme court said they're legal. The reason they're legal is that a sworn police officer reviews the video/pictures, and makes the final determination.

I don't know about other states, but here in Iowa, they don't go on your driving record, or get reported to your insurance company. They're just a straight out compliance/money grab for the city.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What if someone else is driving your car, that's what gets me!

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Mike loves him some totalitarian state! There isn't an authoritarian position he won't support.
    Anonymous for fear of fatwa

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulGirl5150 View Post
    What if someone else is driving your car, that's what gets me!
    don't give your car to someone else.

what if someone else parks your car illegally? the owner gets the ticket.