Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

Default Equal Opportunity -

So, I found out from my dad that he had applied for an internal position within the State Dept. a few years back. All applicants were required to take a 4-hour written exam in which he scored 2nd highest out of over 50 applicants who were qualified to even apply.

The job was given to a minority, which is fine with me, I couldn't care less. That was until I learned that person scored 37th!

I'm coming to the conclusion that the goal of Equal Opportunity is noble and has merit, but overall, turns people into racists.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

I was studying to be a paramedic back in the early 90's and was about as into it as anyone could be, I was on fire for it. I had gone on about 10 ride-alongs with an ambulance company, during the course I had watched them treat everythng from accident victims to hospital transports. I had enrolled and started my EMT classes and was progressing marvelously. I had talked to the captain of the local firedepartment about becoming a fire/medic for his "station" and he looked at me and said "I've got some bad news for you". I was like, what, are people not getting hurt and dying around here anymore? And he proceded to tell me about this lovely thing called "the list" that was a product of affirmative action. As a caucasion in Orange County Ca., the best I could have hoped for was about a 4 YEAR WAIT because of the minority quotient that had to be met first. That's 4 years after I had completed my degree before I could work in my home county, meaning I would have had to go far away just to get work at that time making $8 an hour, if I could even get the work. Doesn't matter that I had a degree, my gpa, my aptitude or abilities, it only mattered that I was white.
    If I was a mexican or negro or any other minority, I would have had a position at a station a mile and a half from my home before I could have picked up my cap and gown.
    Now that whites are going to soon be a minority in California, I wonder if the same courtesies will be extended to me. I doubt it, so please chalk up another failed civic project along with car pool lanes on the 405 and the 5, toll roads, welfare, etc etc.
    Last edited by Dick Punch; 06.07.10 at 09:49 AM.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:23 AM
    Liked 6,668 Times in 3,696 Posts

how do u think the guy who came in 1st feels?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

My uncle was a cop. He kept taking the sergeants exam over and over. Every time he'd have the highest score, or at least the top 5. Every time he'd be passed over for a lower-scoring affirmative action beneficiary.

He finally quit taking the test.

Last Online

10.23.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

Actually -

I think I should more appropriately named this thread 'affirmative action'.

Equal Opportunity simply means no discrimiation between race, sex, religion etc...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Now that whites are going to soon be a minority in California, I wonder if the same courtesies will be extended to me.
    No. Although it would be a great case for the ACLU.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

actually, Affirmative Action was outlawed in California in the late '90's, but many other states have not caught up.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 AM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

It should be the best person for the job. Unfortunately, it's not always the case.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I watched Men of Honour last night...with Cuba Gooding Jr and Robert De Niro. I had never seen it before....damn good movie...true story too!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

This gets into what Rand Paul was talking about and got crucified for (and should have known he would have).

Of course, your father was applying for a government position, so it changes the dynamic and brings other issues to the forefront.

Still, if a private company wants to hire minorities who may or may not be best qualified, that should be their right. If a private company wants to hire non-minorities who may or may not be the best qualified, that should be their right.

Discrimination happens all the time. We walk into a club to find a woman, we discriminate against women we don't find attractive. We discriminate against associating with people we don't like. This is liberty. This is freedom of association. Airlines are not forced to replace all their seats with bigger ones for fat people. If a successful Black journalist wants to start a scholarship for young, Black journalists, he shouldn't be forced to give them to Whites too. If a gym wants to serve women only, they shouldn't be forced to serve men. If Hooters only wants women servers, they shouldn't be forced to hire men.

The market will force people to make the right choices for their business or go out of business. If you're racist and don't hire or serve minorities, not only are you losing out on a large portion of consumers, but you're losing out on a large portion of good employees. Further, outraged non-minorities will not shop there. Your business, in 99% of the country, won't last. The government telling us what to do leads to stupid things, such as the freelance, Christian wedding photographer--owner of her own business, basically--who was fined after losing a lawsuit for discrimination after refusing to shoot a gay wedding.

The problem with this being a government job is that the government won't go out of business. If the less qualified person screws up, the state department isn't subject to the same market forces of a private business, nor will the person likely ever get fired.

It's somehow blasphemous to discuss about whether or not we still need the government forcing us to do certain things. Even if they aren't forcing us, bring it up and the left will call you racist. This prevents a real discussion. We seem to forget that the real atrocity of Jim Crow was that it was government laws that prevented civil rights. Plessy v. Ferguson (separate but equal) was about a Louisiana law that prevented the railroad from selling tickets to Blacks for the White car, not about private business that was refusing to serve them.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    This gets into what Rand Paul was talking about and got crucified for (and should have known he would have).

Of course, your father was applying for a government position, so it changes the dynamic and brings other issues to the forefront.

Still, if a private company wants to hire minorities who may or may not be best qualified, that should be their right. If a private company wants to hire non-minorities who may or may not be the best qualified, that should be their right.

Discrimination happens all the time. We walk into a club to find a woman, we discriminate against women we don't find attractive. We discriminate against associating with people we don't like. This is liberty. This is freedom of association. Airlines are not forced to replace all their seats with bigger ones for fat people. If a successful Black journalist wants to start a scholarship for young, Black journalists, he shouldn't be forced to give them to Whites too. If a gym wants to serve women only, they shouldn't be forced to serve men. If Hooters only wants women servers, they shouldn't be forced to hire men.

The market will force people to make the right choices for their business or go out of business. If you're racist and don't hire or serve minorities, not only are you losing out on a large portion of consumers, but you're losing out on a large portion of good employees. Further, outraged non-minorities will not shop there. Your business, in 99% of the country, won't last. The government telling us what to do leads to stupid things, such as the freelance, Christian wedding photographer--owner of her own business, basically--who was fined after losing a lawsuit for discrimination after refusing to shoot a gay wedding.

The problem with this being a government job is that the government won't go out of business. If the less qualified person screws up, the state department isn't subject to the same market forces of a private business, nor will the person likely ever get fired.

It's somehow blasphemous to discuss about whether or not we still need the government forcing us to do certain things. Even if they aren't forcing us, bring it up and the left will call you racist. This prevents a real discussion. We seem to forget that the real atrocity of Jim Crow was that it was government laws that prevented civil rights. Plessy v. Ferguson (separate but equal) was about a Louisiana law that prevented the railroad from selling tickets to Blacks for the White car, not about private business that was refusing to serve them.
    good post.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.