Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YMI5150? View Post
    Was it ebony or rosewood, other?
    Looking at it right now in GW. Rosewood on his. I had a Destroyer in the 80's same as Ed's. Korina body and neck with Brazillian rosewood fretboard. Did'nt hack mine up though! lol
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

was the neck maple?

Thx!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

was the neck maple?

Thx!!
    Mine was korina, both body and neck. Ibanez eventually switched to all mahogany versions as korina got very expensive. I would have to assume his was all korina (limba) given korina is so light, and a maple neck would affect the balance way to much. It's pretty heavy. His may possibly have had a mahogany neck...it's possible, but doubtful, (and to make it even harder to tell, he striped the neck as well.) This is only done to minimize cost, where as back then, at that point, it had'nt gotten too out of hand cost wise given the numbers produced. As the model gained popularity though, as an alternative to Gibson, the price of the wood also began to spike around the same time given it's rarity and slow growth. On the modern Epi 58' reissue Explorers and V, they use a laminated korina body, but a mahogany neck. The mahogany isn't a ton heavier than korina, but they feel very neck heavy and this can affect playability comfort. Alot has to do with it's shape.The back of the guitar with a strap on natually kind of pulls up on the guitar as you move, and the lower neck bout also pulls down. add the weight of maple, and you really increase this tendancy. Compare this to a Strat or Paul shape. Theres' no sharp angles which add unnatural pull on the strap itself, and in the Strat's case, the upper horn counters the neck pull. Very comfortable geometry. Korina is truly an amazing tone wood though. By far my favourite. Listen to You Really Got Me, Drop Dead Legs, Hot for Teacher, 5150, Girl Gone Bad......... All done on Korina bodied Destroyer or V. There's such an amazing tone and bite to the sound.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 06.03.10 at 09:18 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

looks like they were actually ash bodies with maple necks and were finished with a Korina appearance if these sights are correct:

http://www.guitarattack.com/destroyer/destroyer.htm

"These guitars are not made of korina like an Explorer. Korina, or African Limba, is actually a trade name. The Ibanez version's body is made of ash, and the neck is maple. I might add that there are multiple pieces of wood in both the neck and the body."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_Destroyer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

looks like they were actually ash bodies with maple necks and were finished with a Korina appearance if these sights are correct:

http://www.guitarattack.com/destroyer/destroyer.htm

"These guitars are not made of korina like an Explorer. Korina, or African Limba, is actually a trade name. The Ibanez version's body is made of ash, and the neck is maple. I might add that there are multiple pieces of wood in both the neck and the body."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_Destroyer
    I think this is incorrect on some levels. First off....Yes...korina is "African limba". it's the common name Gibson used in marketing in the late 50's. It's commonly two varieties....White (which Gibson used, or black limba/korina. Black korina sounds the same as white, but is used more for it's unique look. Bass builders love it with dark stains. One builder I know uses black limba, and laminates 2 1/4" strips of koa in the body wings, and they look amazing! They went from Korina, to mahogany, to ash in the late 70's because it was far cheaper, but considerably heavier. I've played these, and the weight difference is profound from the original Destroyers. They also sound darker, as did the mahogany versions. (Ed also tried the mahogany versions after cutting up his, and he also said they sounded very different.....He called them turkeys! lol) When Gibson went after Ibanez for the shape, they changed the shape slightly with Iceman type flares on the bouts. These guitars were ash, and usually solid color, not stained natural. Real korina grain is pretty tough to duplicate, and looks nothing like ash. You can use a veneer of coarse, but back in those days, it was'nt common at all. They do it today for nostalgic purposes. In the seventies, they used the real deal of whatever they made. It has a similarity to mahogany grain, and you can dye or stain it similarily, but the individual grains are more broad, and not as attractive as there are uneven streaks that appear parallel to the grain; not found in mahogany. This is why natual korina was usually finished in the well known yellowish finish. It hid the streaks, yet displayed the grain. Also....if you look at it on the end grain, it has a peppery appearance. Mine was exacly like this plus it is incredibly light compared to ash or mahogany. it sound close to mahogany in richness, but it's less dark and more aggressive sounding. It transmits vibration incredibly efficiently.....less dead spots.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 06.03.10 at 09:49 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just took a look at the guitar attack site. That one on the bottom does in fact appear to be ash. I can't post pics here at work, but I will post some tonight of some real korina Destroyers. Not sure why this one with the original shap was ash.....but the official claim is that the original were all korina.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey man! I just did some digging last night on my old Destroyer. I called up my old procurer (He'd find me some weird guitars, as well as alot of my Marshalls and Bush amps) and he said that my "Destroyer" was actually produced in 1978 by a Luthier in San Antonio. it was'nt a real Ibanez at all, but an extremely accurate copy made completely out of white korina! Funny. I owned this guitar for a decade and never knew. Even had the script Ibanez logo. At any rate....he's quite an Ibanez expert, and I asked him about the korina Destroyer. He swears that despite the current discounting of them being made of korina, that there WAS a large moderate produced, however the majority were made of Sen...... A Japanese wood, sometimes called Japanese ash. These were produced in the infancy of the line, then they switched to mahogany, then back to Sen when people did'nt like the sound characteristics. The history of these guitars is incredibly muddled though.

Some claim that there are lots of fakes of these guitars out on the market; (headstocks repainted and applied with an Ibanez logo to cash in on the folklore....some in which EVH contributed too), because of the variances from one model to the next....often within the same year, but he said that this is most likely not the case as their manufacturing process lacked true standardization. Some appeared with flush heels, while others had a Gibson like Ridge.

Some had more pitch in the neck, others were almost flat in comparison. Some bodies were one piece, others had three. Ed Roman claims to have an Ibanez Destroyer said to be 40 years old(obviously produced quite a while before mass production). He posts no pictures of it, but upon going on line, a person claiming to have seen it confirms it to be actual korina, not sen or mahogany. So there you have it. A very confusing history. Now that I've learned more about my old guitar, I'm not as torn about selling it when I did. Fact is when I bought it, I was on a bit of a buying blitz. Did'nt really care so much for the lore of guitars back then. Just bought what I liked. Got some cool old Dano's too for a couple hundred bucks a piece. Look how much those originals are today!