Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer Littleguitars5150's Avatar
    Last Online

11.18.15 @ 11:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Is The EVH Wah Pedal Any Good?

I'm planning on purchasing a wah pedal. I was planning on purchasing a Vox V847 Pedal, but since I'm a Van Halen fan, I thought I might as well buy the EVH Signature pedal. I want to know if its worth the money or better than the Vox one. I play in a rock band, I play Van Halen obviously, and I would use it for stuff like Hendrix and so on. I'd like to know some information on this pedal and how it compares to the Vox.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Default Yes it's good but different

I have the Vox, a old cry baby and the EVH. On my board currently that I use for the band I use the EVH. It's very different than what you will find with most wah pedals. The sweep is much more condensed...where with the Vox and Cry Baby you have to rock the pedal from almost all the way back to almost all the way down to get the full sweep, on the EVH the sweet spot is much tighter. Also it's a little too easy to turn off if you slam down while using it. Takes a much gentler touch.

I also play Hendrix, do some Guns where Slash used a Wah and a lot of other wah required stuff. The EVH does great, is solid and sounds fine but honestly it's sound isn't "perfect" for a lot of the standard stuff you would use wah to emulate, such as Hendrix. The Vox is much better in that regard. The EVH is solid, sounds good and looks cool(stripes, 2 blue led lights) so maybe for those reasons and being lazy I've just left it on there but ultimately imho it's not worth the extra money, takes getting used to, and doesn't capture the vintage wah effect quite as well as the others. Hard to explain...it growls a little more than the vox or cry and again with a much tighter sweet spot.

Go to a music store and try it out in person if possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

I don't have a Vox but I have the Hendrix Wah and the EVH, and I like the Hendrix better, although I use the EVH one because it's easy to see if it's on and it's cool looking. I am not a big wah player, just use it on a couple of our tunes, so I'm not that obsessive over the sound. When we record again, I would use the Hendrix in the studio not the EVH, that much I know.

And like AP said, it's almost TOO easy to turn on and off, sometimes I find myself turning it off by accident. His description of the sound is pretty accurate as well. And yeah the sweet spot is much tighter, you don't need to rock it that much to get the full sweep range, which frankly I don't like. You need too gentle of a touch.

It's definitely not worth the extra money IMO either, especially if you are looking for a vintage sound. I haven't been impressed with it at all, by far the worst of the EVH pedals. It does look cool though, best thing going for it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My solution is this: Get the wah you like, install some LEDS, and paint it up like your favourite EVH paint scheme!!!! Doesn't sound like the EVH wah fits within the normal confines of how people use a wah. I like to play that nasally, half down position on the EVH wah sounds like I could never do that...
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.18.15 @ 11:41 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I had an EVH wah since it came out, and I'll corroborate what the others have said about the sweep and the fact its too easy to turn off.

I recently got the CAE wah and this is THE wah. Its got a few ways to customize the sweep and Q setting to your preference, and its got a much sweeter sound than the EVH which is a little nasally sounding at times. Check out some of the clips on youtube of the CAE wah and then order one from your online retailer...you won't be disappointed.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

maybe bad luck, but I have never had a crybaby wah that didnt have machincal problems within a year.

other than sound, which you really need to hear for yourself, comes down to what you want/need.

I like the morelys because they are spring loaded and have no switching.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I'm getting, the EVH wah is just looks, but then in the videos it doesnt look bad at all. Hell, its even compared to the CAE and still sounds good. Am I missing something here?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    maybe bad luck, but I have never had a crybaby wah that didnt have machincal problems within a year.

other than sound, which you really need to hear for yourself, comes down to what you want/need.

I like the morelys because they are spring loaded and have no switching.
    The only real problem I've had with Crybaby's has been the pot gets scratchy. Soundwise, I usually adjust them by loosening the retainer, and rotate the pot manually to set the part of the sweep I like. I usually roll them off a little because stock they are so earsplittingly bright full up. I'm with you guys on the EVH. It's ok, but it's not the most natural feel compared to what I'm used too. Such a narrow sweep, and the sound....it's kinda hard to describe. It really colors your tone beyond any other wah I've used. Some guys might like this, but for me, I like a wah where at least somewhere in the sweep, it comes close to the unnafected tone. The EVH, at least the one I tried changes the tone dramatically through the entire curve. Again, you may like that kind of radical tone change, but for me it just made it difficult to find a place for it. 9 times out of ten, if I bring out a wah, it's my 90' Crybaby. Good sound, and aside from the pot getting scratchy, I just spray a little contact cleaner it the pot, and it's good to go. Will concur.......Very cool paintjob on it though.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The EVH wah sounds REALLY nasally to me. Almost too obnoxious sounding. But the finish and functionality of it with the dual LED's is great.

If you're thinking of going the mod route -- get a regular ol' standard Cry Baby. You can do what I did with mine -- modify the circuit by removing the entire buffer circuit that alters your tone, and convert the thing to true bypass. It's not super hard and there are instructions online for doing this on about every variant of the standard crybaby. I also put the dual LED's on mine, and I love it. You can always tell if it's on or off. And of course you can do the pot-travel mods that everyone else has already mentioned to further tweak the sound.

I would describe the sound of mine now as a lot more mellow than it originally was. It sounds 'sweeter' and doesn't get that obnoxious blaring sound at certain frequencies. One possible con to the mod is that mine doesn't give you any sort of boost anymore when you turn it on -- it just changes the tone. So if you are looking for a 'solo boost' when you hit the wah, you'll have to add a boost circuit/pedal somewhere in there.

Another 2 cents: I had a morley volume/wah combo pedal. I didn't like the sound, the separate switch activation, or anything about it. Having said that, I will never get a 'standard' morley wah again, but my next wah will definitely be one of the morley 'artist' wahs -- probably a Bad Horsie wah.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 06.03.10 at 12:09 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:01 PM
    Liked 1,605 Times in 742 Posts

Premium Member

Here are some you tube examples of the EVH wah...

This last one is cool as the dude demoing it tries out 3 or 4 different wah's including the EVH...

Last edited by Dutchie5150; 06.03.10 at 06:01 AM.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.20.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts

Default Jerry Cantrell Wah

That is a bad wah, I'd go with that and it looks good.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Another 2 cents: I had a morley volume/wah combo pedal. I didn't like the sound, the separate switch activation, or anything about it. Having said that, I will never get a 'standard' morley wah again, but my next wah will definitely be one of the morley 'artist' wahs -- probably a Bad Horsie wah.
    I had a Morley wah/volume back in the mid-80's, the kind with the big steel case and AC cable running out of it. I loved it but ended up trading it for some unknown piece of gear. I used to use the volume pedal part of it much more for Alex Lifeson-type things like fade-ins in La Villa Strangiato. Anyway, a few years back I picked up a Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah and I really like it- not that I use a wah all the time though. It has knobs where you can adjust the frequency and level of the wah sound and that can be switched on or off for the regular wah sound. I'm powering it off the Dunlop DC Brick on my pedalboard and it works great. I need to get another volume pedal (Ernie Ball perhaps) however as I miss that control. My right hand does not like manipulating the volume pot no matter how much I force myself to do it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have used the cry baby, the zakk wylde, and the bad horsie. The EVH kills all of them. It has that nice broke in feel, and is not tough to turn on and off quickly. Some you have to step really hard, not the EVH though. Very happy with mine! Highly recommended.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

I think we all agree it's easy to use, I think the sound is more the issue.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can someone give me an explanation of what bypass means?