VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Default Vaccine 'Could Eliminate' Breast Cancer

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,593822,00.html

A doctor from the Cleveland Clinic claims he developed a vaccine that could prevent breast cancer and save the lives of millions of women, Fox8.com reports.

The treatment was tested on mice and showed "overwhelmingly favorable results.”

Dr. Vincent Tuohy, who led the research at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, said there was evidence in the initial tests that the vaccine could prevent cancers from forming and stop the growth of existing tumors.

"We have designed a vaccine that is designed to prevent breast cancer the same way we vaccinate against polio and measles," Dr. Tuohy told Fox8.com. "I think the same strategy could be applied for a variety of different cancers and diseases as we age...and I can't really wait to see my dream and that vision come true."

Researchers injected the test vaccine into six mice that were specifically bred to be prone to breast cancer. None developed any signs of tumors.

A further six mice bred in the same way were injected with a placebo vaccine and all developed tumors.

The drug makes the immune system attack a particular protein found in most breast cancer cells and in the mammary tissues of breastfeeding women.

If clinical tests of the vaccine on humans are successful, women over 40 could be vaccinated against the disease. At that age, breast cancer risk begins to increase and women are less likely to be breastfeeding.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-breast-...tory?track=rss

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A doctor from the Cleveland Clinic claims he has developed a vaccine to prevent and possibly cure breast cancer.

A study, published Sunday, reports Dr. Vincent Tuohy found that a single vaccination made up of antigen a-lactalbumin (lactation protein) prevents breast cancer tumors from forming, while stopping the growth of already existing tumors. *READ STUDY HERE*

A spokesperson for the Cleveland Clinic says enrollment in human trials could begin as early as next year.

Women over the age of 40 or that have the breast cancer gene BRCA 1 or 2, will be vaccinated first because the vaccine targets a woman's lactation protein. Once the lactation protein is targeted, a woman's milk supply is affected.

According to the spokesperson, Dr. Tuohy found the target in an unhealthy tumor that is not typically found in a healthy person. He targeted a protein called a-lactalbumin, which is found in the majority of breast cancers, but not found in healthy women unless they are lactating. The antigen is injected which then searches and eliminates tumor growth.

In other words, the vaccine can help boost a woman's immune system to target a-lactalbumin without damaging healthy breast tissue.

The Doctor says he is confident in his findings and believes it will have a massive impact on fighting the disease.

"We have designed a vaccine that is designed to prevent breast cancer the same way we vaccinate against polio and measles," Tuohy told Fox 8 News, "I think the same strategy could be applied for a variety of different cancers and diseases as we age...and I can't really wait to see my dream and that vision come true."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

God.. this would be truly amazing!!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW, this could be absolutely monumental.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

This would be such a true miracle. It'd save so many wonderful women from being terrified, depressed, horribly sick, and ultimately dying prematurely.

There is nothing worse than seeing someone that you care deeply for and love succumb to this disease.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

If it's true than that is STELLAR. I wonder how much it's going to cost.

And why is it that the words "vaccine" and "eliminate" don't really jive together in the same sentence.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    And why is it that the words "vaccine" and "eliminate" don't really jive together in the same sentence.
    It would be eliminated as we know it. Like smallpox. It's still around, but eliminated from being the scourge it once was.

I'd love to think that breast cancer (heck, any cancer!), could be something people look back and think "oh yeah... remember when that was such a problem?"

On a related note, it's shocking that this many decades after the vaccine, polio is still crippling people around the world.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
    It would be eliminated as we know it. Like smallpox. It's still around, but eliminated from being the scourge it once was.

I'd love to think that breast cancer (heck, any cancer!), could be something people look back and think "oh yeah... remember when that was such a problem?"

On a related note, it's shocking that this many decades after the vaccine, polio is still crippling people around the world.
    Yes it is and we are lucky to live in a country that is wealthy enough to vaccinate its children. Sad to think that these children will suffer for a lifetime because they couldn't afford a vaccine that probably costs very little.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.