Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Fender Frankenstein Finish - Let's figure this out!

As my kit's fly out the door, or coast out slowly as some would say... I find myself wanting to really figure out how Fender accomplished this finish. I know most of it was masked off. When you do the relic work to the white and try to not disturb the black underneath it's hard to not take it down to the wood.
    Let's really dig in here and figure out how they finished this guitar!
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Eruption
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 706 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    When you do the relic work to the white and try to not disturb the black underneath it's hard to not take it down to the wood.[/IMG]
    You're referring to the white paint chip's on the back? I just add jagged tape to form the "chipped" area along the stripes and bare wood section.

The only pic that I have of the original (back-side magazine shoot) shows paint chipping in the tummy cut section and below the tremolo. Did Fender take artistic liberties regarding aging or did it wear more and Ed touched it up at some point? I doubt he did.
    Last edited by LAD-1972; 05.26.10 at 06:27 AM.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here's a shot of Chip putting the neck back on the real Frankenstein. Fender I think did some of this, but doing 300 copies kind of makes it to where you can't really go all the way with each one. I'd be willing to bet Chip has one that is as close as anyone will ever get.

I know how to do this and get this effect and get these chips and all of the small weird shapes all around the body.
    I'm talking more about body prep, and if maybe there was a coat of clear sprayed between the colors to seperate them.
    Divebomb, Inc.
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been more focused on how to achieve the look of the real one. The Fender has a different vibe going on, especially how the worn, exposed wood appears to be shiny. that may be evidence of clear coat. It certainly would help isolate a layer. it would have to be wetsanded after being shot to lose the spray appearance. that would also give it a more matte, natural finish.

We'll see how long this thread stays on point...

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think it was Jimi that said he had read that Frankenstein had been clearcoated at some point because Ed saw it in a picture and the grain was showing through a lot. Maybe Jimi can chime in and clarify.
    I am going for the original look, but I think some of the techniques that Fender used might help in some areas.
    This thread will stay on track because the one person that loved to derail threads ain't here no more!
    Divebomb, Inc.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:52 PM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

The one thing that strikes me about that photo of Chip Ellis putting the neck back on is how much damage and missing paint there is on the body edges of the real one...the pics I've seen of the Fender makes it appear that the edges are in pretty good shape..reading the stories about how Ed would chuck the original in the back of his truck sans case for a photo shoot would make me think it should be all chewed up...which it appears to be in that pic...interesting.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.11 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd be interested in how they did this - if it is accurate. I assume you would have to mask the chips before spraying white then spray red, then sand it somehow to get that white outline?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

I think it was Jimi that said he had read that Frankenstein had been clearcoated at some point because Ed saw it in a picture and the grain was showing through a lot. Maybe Jimi can chime in and clarify.
    Definitely wasn't me, Kyle... honestly, I never even heard that before!

This thread will stay on track because the one person that loved to derail threads ain't here no more!
    Admit it- you miss him terribly!
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Exactly how you do it. Mask off those little shapes, spray the next color, and then you wetsand very lightly to get that effect.
    Divebomb, Inc.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Sorry man, thought I heard that from you.

Nope, not missin' the controversy.
    Divebomb, Inc.

Favorite VH Album

DLR era
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.29.13 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slick4772 View Post
    I'd be interested in how they did this - if it is accurate. I assume you would have to mask the chips before spraying white then spray red, then sand it somehow to get that white outline?

To me it looks like they put dents/dings/chips into the wood before spraying the white.

So you would spray it black do some relicing(the dings like the ones in the pic) spray the white then the red over. Then lightly sand over the dings leaving the edges/high spot of the dings white but the dips/low spot red.

Ive had this happen to me but not on purpose

Also- this pic tells me they reliced the paint before shooting the red too. So they might have did relicing before each color was put on.

I've just notice this but, Does the Fender Franky have the 6 screw holes infront of the floyd from the old fender trem?
    Last edited by Tapster1984; 05.27.10 at 02:25 AM.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

That would create the effect, but I had a Fender here for quite some time last year and while there are some dents, the small weird shaped chips were done by masking them off before spraying the white and then wetsanding those areas lightly after spraying the red.
    I guess I'll have to experiment a bit. I'm not trying to figure out the taping or the odd little shapes. What I'm really after is how they prepped the body, what they did between each color, and how they finished it off at the very end. The Fender finish just has an interesting look to it. I'd like to incorporate those techniques into some other ideas I have because I like the look. Not necessarily a realistic look of actual wear in most cases, but an interesting look.
    Divebomb, Inc.

Eruption
    Last Online

What I'm really after is how they prepped the body, what they did between each color, and how they finished it off at the very end. The Fender finish just has an interesting look to it. I'd like to incorporate those techniques into some other ideas I have because I like the look. Not necessarily a realistic look of actual wear in most cases, but an interesting look.
    Regardless if they sprayed clear between the coats, I think you've already answered your question on the overall finish. Each coat seems to be flatten to the point that the paint has no shine or peel - especially in the last photo. I think a combination of wet-sanding and using different grades of Scotch-Brite pads (or steel wool) would give you this effect. Sounds stupid, but when you had the Fender at your shop, could you tell if the paint was plain lacquer?

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I do a certain amount of wetsanding and I do use steel wool also to knock down the edges. I do more steel wool on the red.
    I couldn't tell what type of paint was used on the Fender. Probably what they use in their custom shop would probably be a good guess. If anyone knows who could answer this question get 'um on the phone!
    Divebomb, Inc.

Eruption
    Last Online

The only indication that I could find (with the images that I have) that may show a clearcoat between the white & red is from this photo:

Nect Pocket

You can see a build up of clear w/toner on the outside edge of the pocket.