Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default The impact the internet has had on Van Halen

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now. I remember sitting down on a computer back in 1996 for one of the first times and going to a bunch of websites trying to figure out exactly what happened with VH and Sammy. I was thinking that ever since the internet really, really took off VH's image has gotten worse and worse.

I'm wondering what you guys think the internet has done to VH's image? I dont' think a major band has handled internet relations with thier fans as poorly as VH has. VH fans in general seem to have really soured on the band since the net got going. Do you think this would have happned had it not been for the net?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I agree however I think the internet has also helped them keep their name and their brand alive. In the past if we ever went this long without news of VH or any other band I would just assume they were done and go about my life. Now with the internet I get to come on here and debate the merits of a post dinner comment made in the street by EVH.

The internet certainly does help with the dead horse beatings though which can only tarnish the image.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I think it's made it MUCH easier for people to bitch and moan over "dickhead" Ed. Telling him what he should and shouldn't do. And if it came right down to it, and they came face to face with Ed, they'd never have the balls to admit it. Most likely they'd be begging him to suck his dick.

The best thing about it for me though is that I can look, listen, or read about him anytime my heart desires, let my mind and heart go wild, and love him all I want. THAT in itself has made my life LOADS better and much happier.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    I think it's made it MUCH easier for people to bitch and moan over "dickhead" Ed. Telling him what he should and shouldn't do. And if it came right down to it, and they came face to face with Ed, they'd never have the balls to admit it. Most likely they'd be begging him to suck his dick.

The best thing about it for me though is that I can look, listen, or read about him anytime my heart desires, let my mind and heart go wild, and love him all I want. THAT in itself has made my life LOADS better and much happier.

is it bitching and moaning or calling a spade a spade? ed's reputation in particular has taken a gigantic hit with the advent of the net. everyone loved him prior to balance (in general, I know dave fans didn't really like him during the sam era). he went from a media darling to a person people look at as a bitter, old, drunken rock star.

I wouldn't really want to talk to ed if I met him. I might ask him for an autograph but I wouldn't be begging to suck his dick. I have grown to just not like him very much over the last few years. I understand that this is based on only what I read but it's how I percieve him. I don't think he would be very fun to talk to. Honestly he doesn't seem to like the fans very much telling everyone on the net to "get a life" and all of that stuff.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Well Bone, I didn't say that YOU would, or that you're the one that has bitched about him in particular. There's no way in hell I could ever narrow THAT down. It's on every stinkin site on the freakin net!

And You and others may assume that Ed has created his own rep, but I respectfully disagree. I think it's just your perception in the way YOU see him. I've never felt that Ed was anything but a big sweetheart cutie pie! And that doesn't mean you or I am right or wrong. It's just the diversity of different minds and personalities coming out.

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:33 AM
    Liked 791 Times in 477 Posts

Right when I started using the Internet (and figuring out how it works) was the Summer of ’96. The whole reason was to find out updates on what was happening with VH. I’ll never forget it: the first day I logged in at the local library and saw the song title for “Me Wise Magic” on the VH Encyclopedia web site and a bunch of news links regarding the break-up and reunion. Of course my “half hour” was up when I was only halfway through because some dick was next in line and the librarian gave me the boot. Boy I wanted to choke that guy! I’ve been hooked on the Internet (strictly for VH info) ever since…
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I agree with this, in that it's kept the exposure of the band in the forefront, even with all these years of relative inactivity. Where I think it has hurt them, is it burst the protective bubble that they were in; especially Ed. I think it definately brought his insecurity to a new level.

I have the feeling before the net really took off to where it is, he did'nt actually get to read the words of fans and non fans alike, unfiltered the way it is on the web....their displeasure with the state of the band/music (III?). Alot of the real viscious stuff which is common place on the web. Back in the day, all theye'd read or hear publicly was from critics or the press in general, or heavily filtered by management. Now all they have to do is type in "Van Halen" on Google, and have access with a few clicks to a scathing opinion from "Joe the Plumber" about "What a waste of skin, that has been drunk peice of shit Eddie Van Halen is!" It's no secret Ed is very thin skinned, just read the GW article with Iommi, and it pretty much sums up his abilty to take criticism or negative opinion in a nutshell. I mean, let's not forget, there's alot of support too, but it's human nature to let the negative get to you, and if you're a documented emotional cripple like Eddie is...... well, then you get stuff like the Iommi Ed article. "Why should I spend my money to put something out that people are'nt gonna like anyway?" was one of the quotes.
    It's 2010 Ed..........Got to grow a tougher spine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    I agree however I think the internet has also helped them keep their name and their brand alive. In the past if we ever went this long without news of VH or any other band I would just assume they were done and go about my life. Now with the internet I get to come on here and debate the merits of a post dinner comment made in the street by EVH.

The internet certainly does help with the dead horse beatings though which can only tarnish the image.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    Well Bone, I didn't say that YOU would, or that you're the one that has bitched about him in particular. There's no way in hell I could ever narrow THAT down. It's on every stinkin site on the freakin net!

And You and others may assume that Ed has created his own rep, but I respectfully disagree. I think it's just your perception in the way YOU see him. I've never felt that Ed was anything but a big sweetheart cutie pie! And that doesn't mean you or I am right or wrong. It's just the diversity of different minds and personalities coming out.
    I dont' know if it's internet manipulation or not. if we take the band as they existed in 1995 when windows 95 was released and the net really took off (that's how I remember it anyway) and we put Sam, Mike, Ed and Al on the same level in terms of public perception....Mike and Sam are pretty well liked these days, some hate sam simply cause of the whole dave thing but overall Sam is still precieved as a pretty good guy. Mike's the same way. Ed and Al dont' seem like they have alot of fans that really, really like anything they've done.

I just think it's interesting to look at how the net has affected the public perception of the band..

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I agree with this, in that it's kept the exposure of the band in the forefront, even with all these years of relative inactivity. Where I think it has hurt them, is it burst the protective bubble that they were in; especially Ed. I think it definately brought his insecurity to a new level.

I have the feeling before the net really took off to where it is, he did'nt actually get to read the words of fans and non fans alike, unfiltered the way it is on the web....their displeasure with the state of the band/music (III?). Alot of the real viscious stuff which is common place on the web. Back in the day, all theye'd read or hear publicly was from critics or the press in general, or heavily filtered by management. Now all they have to do is type in "Van Halen" on Google, and have access with a few clicks to a scathing opinion from "Joe the Plumber" about "What a waste of skin, that has been drunk peice of shit Eddie Van Halen is!" It's no secret Ed is very thin skinned, just read the GW article with Iommi, and it pretty much sums up his abilty to take criticism or negative opinion in a nutshell. I mean, let's not forget, there's alot of support too, but it's human nature to let the negative get to you, and if you're a documented emotional cripple like Eddie is...... well, then you get stuff like the Iommi Ed article. "Why should I spend my money to put something out that people are'nt gonna like anyway?" was one of the quotes.
    It's 2010 Ed..........Got to grow a tougher spine.

That has got to be one of the most perfect posts I have ever read since the day I joined this place Sleeper! AMEN!!!

I'd also like for you guys to sit and just think for a second....Ok, say that you WERE ED for just 10 minutes. You get on the net and think "Hmmm.....I wonder what people think of me and the band", thinking that it'd be about like what you read in interviews and stuff. Then you go the first site you come to and see "Ed is nothing but a dumbassed asshole dickhead that thinks his shit don't stink. I fucking hate that bastard. He owes me!" Now, how would that make you feel? After all the time and effort you have spent putting out music that you love, and hoping that your fans love it just as much as you do. Wouldn't that hurt just a little?? Here you are TRYING to make everyone happy, but you are just only human, then you see THAT from a "fan"??? That supposedly loves you and the band? I'm sorry, you can call it tough love or whatever you want to, but that is NOT love. THAT is 'love with conditions', and THAT kind of love DOES NOT exist. I don't care what you say or think.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

You do realize the internet has had this affect on ALL celebrities, not just Van Halen right?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    You do realize the internet has had this affect on ALL celebrities, not just Van Halen right?

Absolutely! VH are just the ones I care about the most.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Van Halen never would have existed the way we know them had the internet been around since 78. They had everybody fooled about how the band felt each other for 6 years. Give Dave another outlet for him to be Diamond Dave back when his ego was the largest and he would never had made it to 1984. Eddie would have been discovered to be the insecure person with demons back around Fair Warning. Instead of being the happy go lucky guitar god with the funny grin, he would have been blasting negative quotes on Twitter about Randy Rhoads.

I can't even imagine the public fall out with the release of 5150. Just imagine the Roth Tards hearing Why Can't This Be Love the first time. It would have been ugly and I doubt that the band would have recovered by the non-filtered criticism of the album.

BTW regarding Eddie you have to realize one thing. The musician and businessman probably isn't the best guy to get along with but from the looks of it, he seems to have a lot friends who stay around awhile. I don't think Steve Lukather would be his pal if he was honestly such a shitty person. I doubt that Valerie would have come to his wedding as well. However don't be in a band with him or sign him to a business deal.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Exactly! It's just how people deal with it. All I meant by my post was that with the net, the famous VH protective bubble burst. Remember that interview with Matt Resnikoff from Musician Mag back in 91 or 92? (spelling.) That was probably the first real non internet interview where a columnist really took Ed to task to his face. Ed was real defensive, shut off the guys recorder several times, lost his cool. Some people just roll with it. Others just seem to crave any kind of attention, good or bad. Eddie just seems to disintegrate with negatives. Surprising given all the time he's had in the public eye. You'd think he'd suck it up better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

The net has helped VH sell Tee Shirts and Guitar Picks etc. It has also allowed the true fan base to keep exsisting in the absence of a real touring band that records new music.In essence a Cyber Band. As Brad said when they closed the Pleasure Dome.We Will Re-open the Boards Here in the Future Bigger and Better Than Ever!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    BTW regarding Eddie you have to realize one thing. The musician and businessman probably isn't the best guy to get along with but from the looks of it, he seems to have a lot friends who stay around awhile. I don't think Steve Lukather would be his pal if he was honestly such a shitty person. I doubt that Valerie would have come to his wedding as well. However don't be in a band with him or sign him to a business deal.

Yeah, and one thing that I think people don't realize is that even though there is no one that can play the way he can, Ed is only human.....He can't perform miracles or walk on water. He, just like the rest of us is living his life the best way HE knows how to. And you know what they say about karma. I don't know one person that wants to be best buds to someone that is cruel to them, talks bad about them, or treats them like shit (and if I did, I'd have to do an intervention). Ed's no different. If you're an ass to me, don't expect me to be nice to you.