Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Okay, I'm building a Hot For Teacher

Hey Everyone,

I figured I'd let you in on the new project. I'm building up a Hot For Teacher replica. I had a banana Musikraft neck thats not dead on, BUT no one would really notice the specific differences, and I had Southeast Guitars make me up a Baretta-like body, much like Eddies. I just ordered up some of the parts from Stew Mac, have an original Floyd sitting here (I just need to find an arm!), and really the only parts I need to finish this project are the jack, a pickup, and a tone knob. I'm all over the place on deciding on which pickup to go with. As far as painting it up, I want to take it on.

I'm not gonna have my buddy, Bill help this time (Bill helped paint the Unchained guitar), I want to take it on myself. Soooo, to get that paintjob as close as I can get to Eddies, should I just bomb it white, let it sit for awhile, then tape it up , hit the red and black, let it sit a few more days, then assemble? Or is there more to it? Honestly, I've never really attempted this. I will post some pics later of what I have so far. Maybe this could help some fellow boarders out, in so far as them having the same desire and really not having the know how? any help is greatly appreciated.
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

First off, good luck on the project! Sounds like fun. As far as the paint goes though, it just depends what you use. If you were to opt for Krylon, you can honestly paint it within a couple days, but I'd let it cure at least a couple weeks before assembly, assuming you used light coats and allowed proper curing between coats. The paint usually stays quite soft for at least a month, but you can probably get away with a couple weeks. If you used Duplicolor (My prefered choice), the curing time is a lot less. It hardens up pretty quick. 3 or 4 days before assembly should be fine. Just don't rush the paint and make thick coats with either brand, but especially Krylon. The reason is Krylon is almost too idiot proof. It hardly runs, and it skins or flashes (dry to the touch) very quickly giving the illusion that it's ready for another coat. The problem in doing so is it will remain soft below the surface for a looooooong time. This creates problems because the paint with handling, will eventually show wrinkles, or blister. Said it before, and can't stress it enough. Unless you want to do the job twice, keep it clean, don't rush, and keep the coats light. You'll be much happier with the results. Take a look at Jimis' guitars. Beleive he uses Krylon, and look and sound great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I figured I'd let you in on the new project. I'm building up a Hot For Teacher replica. I had a banana Musikraft neck thats not dead on, BUT no one would really notice the specific differences, and I had Southeast Guitars make me up a Baretta-like body, much like Eddies. I just ordered up some of the parts from Stew Mac, have an original Floyd sitting here (I just need to find an arm!), and really the only parts I need to finish this project are the jack, a pickup, and a tone knob. I'm all over the place on deciding on which pickup to go with. As far as painting it up, I want to take it on.

I'm not gonna have my buddy, Bill help this time (Bill helped paint the Unchained guitar), I want to take it on myself. Soooo, to get that paintjob as close as I can get to Eddies, should I just bomb it white, let it sit for awhile, then tape it up , hit the red and black, let it sit a few more days, then assemble? Or is there more to it? Honestly, I've never really attempted this. I will post some pics later of what I have so far. Maybe this could help some fellow boarders out, in so far as them having the same desire and really not having the know how? any help is greatly appreciated.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    First off, good luck on the project! Sounds like fun. As far as the paint goes though, it just depends what you use. If you were to opt for Krylon, you can honestly paint it within a couple days, but I'd let it cure at least a couple weeks before assembly, assuming you used light coats and allowed proper curing between coats. The paint usually stays quite soft for at least a month, but you can probably get away with a couple weeks. If you used Duplicolor (My prefered choice), the curing time is a lot less. It hardens up pretty quick. 3 or 4 days before assembly should be fine. Just don't rush the paint and make thick coats with either brand, but especially Krylon. The reason is Krylon is almost too idiot proof. It hardly runs, and it skins or flashes (dry to the touch) very quickly giving the illusion that it's ready for another coat. The problem in doing so is it will remain soft below the surface for a looooooong time. This creates problems because the paint with handling, will eventually show wrinkles, or blister. Said it before, and can't stress it enough. Unless you want to do the job twice, keep it clean, don't rush, and keep the coats light. You'll be much happier with the results. Take a look at Jimis' guitars. Beleive he uses Krylon, and look and sound great.
    I'm actually hoping he will jump in on this post and throw his opinion on this. Jimi always makes 'em look good.
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Soooo, to get that paintjob as close as I can get to Eddies, should I just bomb it white, let it sit for awhile, then tape it up , hit the red and black, let it sit a few more days, then assemble? Or is there more to it?
    That's it! There's no more to it than that, Josh...
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    As far as the paint goes though, it just depends what you use. If you were to opt for Krylon, you can honestly paint it within a couple days, but I'd let it cure at least a couple weeks before assembly, assuming you used light coats and allowed proper curing between coats. The paint usually stays quite soft for at least a month, but you can probably get away with a couple weeks.Just don't rush the paint and make thick coats with either brand, but especially Krylon. The reason is Krylon is almost too idiot proof. It hardly runs, and it skins or flashes (dry to the touch) very quickly giving the illusion that it's ready for another coat. The problem in doing so is it will remain soft below the surface for a looooooong time. This creates problems because the paint with handling, will eventually show wrinkles, or blister.

I painted every one of these guitars with Krylon...

...and I tell you, I have never had any issues with the paint cracking, wrinkling, blistering or experienced base-layer softness of any kind in any of my projects while using it.

A few rules to follow:
    -use only one brand of paint (don't mix brands)
    -read the directions and instructions on the can
    -apply light coats
    -wait a full day before applying tape and/or another color
    -have fun
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I learn something almost EVERY TIME you post something, Jimi!
    I always thought you might have done some grain filler, maybe a clear coat, or all the other fancy stuff people have done. Today, I was kinda surprised you just paint them up, let 'em dry for a few days, and slap them together. AWESOME! Thanks!

Eruption
    Last Online

I learn something almost EVERY TIME you post something, Jimi!
    I always thought you might have done some grain filler, maybe a clear coat, or all the other fancy stuff people have done.
    I have used grain filler for some Northern Ash bodies, but for Alder and Poplar? Nah, I just spray 'em.
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Speaking of Hot for Teacher...
    For some reason, I've misplaced the pics that Cody had taken some time ago of the Hot for Teacher, when it was at Unk's display stand. Anyone out there able to help by posting them?

Eruption
    Last Online

Speaking of Hot for Teacher...
    For some reason, I've misplaced the pics that Cody had taken some time ago of the Hot for Teacher, when it was at Unk's display stand. Anyone out there able to help by posting them?
    Here you go...

WGAF?!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool pictures. What kinda wood do you all think that is??

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe poplar?

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:30 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

Holy crap!!!!!!!
    Thanks 4 posting those photos!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

That or alder I would guess.
    Maybe poplar?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

DLR era
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.29.13 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my experience with spray paint:

Dont use the primer or clear coat from the brand your using for color. Everytime i've used anybrand's clear or primer the paint comes out soft. for a Instead I use Sanding Sealer as my primer/base coat, then my colors then if you want a clear I've found MiniWax's Poly Clear to work great. It's self-leveling and has a great shine.

Like others have said keep the coats thin as possible.

This is what i do:

1.) 1st Day: spraying couple of coats of sanding sealer.

2.) 2nd day: Level Sanding Sealer and Prep for 1st Color and Spray alot of thin coats over the course of the day, stopping when everything is covered and even. Then let it set overnight.

3.) 3rd Day: Start Tapping and then spray 2nd Color using thin coats and spraying over the course of the day till the color is even and everthing is covered. -Tricky Part Pull Tape off when paint is almost hard but still soft.

4.) Now your Done and let sit for about 4-6 days in a dry/heated area.

5.) Clear Coat- after the 4-6 days I wet sand and prep for clear. Spraying about 10 thin coats over the course of the day. Then I let it dry in a dry/heated area for 5 days (Mini Wax Poly Doesnt take long to cure).

6.) After the 5 days you can Start to wet Sand and Buff Clear. Done

If you want a relic skip the clear coat part and if you want to add another color with stripes. wait another day after u completed step 3 and do the same for your 3rd color as you did on step 3 for your 2nd color.

I hope that helps.

PS. I use Rubbing Alcohol and a lint free rag to whip down between coats and after wet sanding.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay-
    I'm going to need some sandpaper today to hit a few spots on the guitar body. The white paint on the neck turned out pretty nice. Anyone have any ideas as to what sizes of fine line tape I would need? It doesn't seem to have the usual sizes that the 5150 or 1984 have. Anyone think that Unk may have used automotive pin striping to mask the body for those smaller lines? Also, what grit sandpaper should I go for? Anyone?