Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

Default Thoughts about a New Van Halen Record?

I was listening to VH3 the other night (please don't flame me) and it got me wondering. Is the reason VH is reluctant to release a new record is the "fear" that the music will be "different" (like VH3) and be rejected by fans, who may not attend the tour that will sure to follow and loose out on a lot of $$. Since it appears that recently VH is only out for the $$

Or is it that the members are so difficult to work with each other in a creative environment, that new music is almost impossible to create. I attended a "reunion" show and did not hear one single jam that would hint to new music.

Thoughts?

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I don't think Ed has any interest whatsoever about throwing us any new tunes. He's become way too insecure about trying anything, musically...it's sad, really.

I hope I'm proven wrong but the track record speaks for itself...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

04.15.14 @ 03:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i reckon fans would flock to any tour with dave still as singer, even if the record was dodgy. he has said before that the music he has been working on isn't 'bang your head against a wall' and maybe daves the one putting pressure on him to put something out VHesque but thats just one in numerous possibilties why there isn't a record coming.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

It ain't going to happen.

I just don't believe it anymore. Took me twelve years to believe it, but I finally believe that they are done.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    It ain't going to happen.

I just don't believe it anymore. Took me twelve years to believe it, but I finally believe that they are done.

I agree completely.

I don't think Ed is afraid of releasing new material though. I think it's just money and basic greed. There is absolutely no money to be made from recording and releasing an "album" the way it used to be done, so VH isn't going to do it. The money is in the touring now, so we will probably get a tour of some sort in 2011 or whenever, but releasing new music is a losing financial proposition so VH won't do it. I actually think Ed has quite a bit of new music that's he's written, a lot of it probably with Wolfie, but I don't ever think we are going to hear it, I think those days are over.

VH is done, I've come to terms with it finally.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't see how he could lose money with a new cd. Wouldn't cost anything to make, & he could cut one of those deals with Walmart, & make a ton of money.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.11 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure why anyone wants to hear new Van Halen anyway. Just think of all the groups you've known and loved all of your life. None of them put out anything worth listening to after the average age of the band members was over 30. Think about it - the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd (although I think some of those guys were in their early 30s for The Wall), U2, and of course Van Halen. Once you aren't "hungry" anymore, the music starts to suck. Think about the album 1984 - I'm pretty sure that some of those songs were around in some form or another since 1978.

No, even if they got together some deal with Wal Mart, it would just be a huge sell out - cashing in on the fans. Just remember them for what they were, and be glad that they do reunion tours - although even that is a travesty. None of these old guys can sing like they used to. Maybe the Eagles can, but they weren't screamers.

Its over Johnny. - Col Sam Troutman, First Blood

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slick4772 View Post
    Just think of all the groups you've known and loved all of your life. None of them put out anything worth listening to after the average age of the band members was over 30.
    Give a listen to the new Ratt album... it will change your mind about "has-been" rockers.
    http://www.therattpack.com/media/music
    Last edited by jimi11580; 05.18.10 at 08:47 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.28.12 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Give a listen to the new Ratt album... it will change your mind about "has-been" rockers.
    http://www.therattpack.com/media/music
    Thanks Jimmy, just checked it out on itunes and will be hitting up Best Buy tomorrow to buy the album. Warren and Carlos sound like they are at the top of their game. Actually, the whole band sounds great. Can't wait to see them live again soon. Last time was opening for Billy Squier, a long, long time ago.

I am still keeping the faith that Eddie will stop being a douche and give us what we desire after all these years, new tunes!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

That Ratt record is terrible. Pearcy is beyond parody.

A lot of bands do start to suck with age, but I think that has more to do with making music for the wrong reasons as opposed to the joys of why they started in the first place.
    I'm guessing Ed does have a lot (some?) interesting material lying about - some good, some not so good - but I have no illusions about hearing any of it any time soon. I tend to
    agree the artistic side of his persona is on permanent vacation and the reasons for that have been speculated upon here at length.
    Last edited by E-roc; 05.18.10 at 10:09 PM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.05.14 @ 02:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

well the last record (and tour) from Whitesnake was pretty kick-ass, at least for me.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Well I doubt Ed was freaked out to death about the surgery he had to have because it would interfere with his guitar making skills. I truthfully belive a new album will come out, and I believe his son will be a big reason why.

One thing Eddie always showed besides being a guitar genius was that he really loved his kid. I think the kid is going to want to record and that will be the incentive. And anyone that says they could care less are full of shit as you will buy it just like I would. Besides what is the guarantee it will suck, they only had one dud there whole career. Personally I could care less how much gas is in Daves voice I would just love to hear what he has musically more than anything.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

I'm always interested in hearing something new and creative from artists I dig. Even if it doesn't live up to their prime standard it's still cool to check out their later in life creative output. lol

I may be in the minority but I don't think EVH/VH is done. My guess and logic said that this was the time something new would be coming out or announced but VH has been anything but logical since 96. There is speculation as to why now VH is so silent...from Ed is just raping the fans and doesn't give a fk to he has lingering problems with his hand which are not yet fully resolved.

I think since VH/Dave is silent it's still a no news is good news thing. All we have right now is our own speculation. Mine is that VH will release a new album but either things are delaying it like Ed's hand issue or they are simply taking a long ass time to get things as they want it. Of course I could be totally wrong. The last few releases were bombs though. VH3 though it had amazing playing on it tanked for various reasons and the new tunes with Sam were not up to standards but I don't think Ed's tunes,playing was the culprit.
    Either way that adds a little fuel to my thinking that though we all wished after the tour they just slapped an album together and put it out I'm guessing it's going to be a much more calculated labored processes for them. A process and time line that doesn't vibe with anxious fans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cpusolutions2001 View Post
    I was listening to VH3 the other night (please don't flame me) and it got me wondering. Is the reason VH is reluctant to release a new record is the "fear" that the music will be "different" (like VH3) and be rejected by fans, who may not attend the tour that will sure to follow and loose out on a lot of $$. Since it appears that recently VH is only out for the $$

Or is it that the members are so difficult to work with each other in a creative environment, that new music is almost impossible to create. I attended a "reunion" show and did not hear one single jam that would hint to new music.

Thoughts?
    After the fervor and anticipation of the "Welcome Back Kotter" Dave era and the ensuing letdown of Van Halen III (despite a great tour) - and then the mediocre slop on BOBW and the insanity replacing Mike with Wolf - Van Halen has created the most depressing soap opera/reality show hash.

Every chance Van Halen had at gaining momentum or just maintaining its majesty they flushed down the toilet. Eddie really went off the deep end following Balance and then the III tour. If they were to put out something the caliber of VH III, BOBW or AC/DC's Black Ice I'd probably buy it and then miss the days where I could trade/sell lackluster albums at the Wherehouse. If the fucked up parody that is "Van Halen" wants to be taken seriously when or "if" (in fantasyland) they release a new album they need to get their shit together and Eddie Van Halen seriously needs to regain some fucking sanity (Al as well obviously). I don't want to go into specifics as far as what entails getting their shit together, because every true VH fan worth their salt knows what that involves. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but for those of you that hold your breath for a new Van Halen album you'll pass out - I've given up on that speculation shit a long time ago. "Van Halen" would have to do something noble, grandiose and at least on par with Balance for me to get a hardon for any of their new music.

Rant done...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.14.10 @ 04:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie Trunk spoke about this on last weeks That Metal Show. Basically; Ed feels that when new music is played live, fans head to the bathroom, snacks, a smoke, whatever and the band looses the audience for 4-5 minutes.
    That seems a bit out of step with all the bullshit Ed's been saying over the last decade or so about having "tons of music in the can & ready to go". I say, if they put the same passion in to new stuff, the fans will like it. If they half heartedly throw some crappy filler album together then yea, we wont be interested. Another thing is, when an old band tries to do a comeback, I feel they need to let the slow burn happen; get the air play, build the buzz after the release, get the fans very familure with at least 2-3 "A" list songs THEN go on tour in support of the music, just like a new artist has to do. It's just smart business, if thats what they want to do. If not, screw new music & be that nostalga act (personally, I'd like new music).
    By the way, that new Ratt CD kicks ass