Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 6,698 Times in 3,718 Posts

Default Woman sues phone company over affair

Huge story up here. This is hilarious.

A 37-year-old Toronto woman is suing telecom giant Rogers Communications for $600,000, alleging the company's billing practices revealed her infidelity, leading her husband to leave her.

"I had a brief affair -- it was very short-lived, a few weeks," Gabriella Nagy told CTV News. "I did not need to lose everything. I am at a point that there's no turning back. Everything that I held dear -- especially my job -- is gone."

Nagy filed a statement of claim alleging an invasion of privacy and breach of contract on Roger's part in an Ontario court.

Nagy had a cellphone account with Rogers in 2007, in which a monthly bill was sent to her home address in her maiden name. Her husband, who is not named in the statement of claim, had the family's cable and TV bill under his name.

In June of 2007, he called to add Internet and home phone services and the following month Rogers sent a "global" bill to the home address, including the itemized phone bill for Nagy's cellphone.

The husband saw several long phone calls to a single phone number, and called the number, and a "third party" revealed an affair on the part of Nagy, the woman told the Star.

"The husband used the previously private and confidential information that the defendant unilaterally disclosed to the husband to inquire about the people that the plaintiff was telephoning and the nature of such calls," the statement of claim reads.

The statement alleges Rogers "unilaterally terminated its cellular contract with the plaintiff that had been in her maiden name and included it in the husband's account that was under his surname.

"The plaintiff's maiden name and the husband's surname were different. Such unilateral action by the defendant was done without the knowledge, information, belief, acquiescence or approval of the plaintiff."

Rogers says it cannot be held responsible for the breakup of the marriage or the effects on Nagy's life.

"Rogers is not the cause of these," the statement of defence reads. "The marriage breakup and its effects happened, or alternatively would have happened, regardless of the form in which the plaintiff and her husband received their invoices for Rogers services in July 2007."

Nagy said her husband walked out on her and their two children after the affair came to light.

She says she was so upset about her marriage falling apart that her work performance suffered, leading her to lose her job as an apartment rental agent that paid nearly $100,000 a year.

With a report by CTV's Andria Case in Toronto

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No one is ever responsible for their actions anymore. Wow....
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

The phone company did screw up... They should be found guilty. They should pay damages of $1.

It's not the phone companies fault she wanted to sleep around, but "didn't intend to lose anything". That's kind of how it works, dear...
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    The phone company did screw up... They should be found guilty. They should pay damages of $1.

It's not the phone companies fault she wanted to sleep around, but "didn't intend to lose anything". That's kind of how it works, dear...
    i actually told my friends the same thing yesterday.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i actually told my friends the same thing yesterday.
    I heard this idiot on the phone radio yesterday. She's uhhhhh....kind of a dumbass. The bottom line is she got caught screwing around. So she expects the company to pay her $600.000 in damages for her bad choice. Don't get me wrong....Rogers, the carrier are no saints...they've had customer service issues for decades, and I get the whole privacy issue. I can see this sort of situation going bad in legitimate circumstances too, but as far as her complete disregard for her actions, and going public with this attitude, she's not doing herself any favours. Hope she gets nothing in this case.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

I'm kinda unsure on privacy laws there but here we have the Data Protection Act and this would have broken it and the company would be liable if they had cancelled her original contract without her knowledge, and set up a new one under her husbands name. I dont know how they managed that without her signing something or agreeing over the phone. It just shouldnt happen.

She's obviously being a bit of an idiot with her claim that the info caused the breakdown of her marriage. On the other hand, if she had been an abused wife and he had been a violent husband, and those phone calls were made to rescue organisations, she could well be dead now. This is why the Act is in place here. Over here they would definatly be liable.
    Last edited by stilleddiesangel; 05.18.10 at 11:07 AM.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

This was one of the comments from one of the news sites. Explains better what I was trying to say...

Forget the infidelity, this is a red herring. The important thing here isn’t even privacy, its contract law.The woman had a contract in her name with Rogers, Rogers abused and broke that contract. I imagine it happened something like this:

The Rogers agent noticed two accounts with different names at the same address and asked the person he was speaking with if they knew this other account holder. This was the first breach of contract, giving away personal information. Then, when they said “thats my wife” the agent took that information at face value, and with no possible way of confirming that this information was true, terminated her contact and created a new contract with her “husband”.

Now imagine you are a student, or someone else sharing a house, or renting a room in a shared household (which, BTY is a lot of people under 30). Now Rogers notices that there are several people with different names and separate contracts living at the same address and starts asking someone you live with questions about you. What if they say they are your husband or wife? See where this is going?What if the information the "husband" gleaned from the bill has nothing to do with an affair, but still caused damages? What if they were going to split up and was speaking to an attorney, or the spouse was trying get help escaping an abusive relationship?

If Rogers isn’t taken to task for this breach of contract, then it sets a precedent for all corporations in Ontario; that it’s okay to give their customer’s information to another customer and change their contract without getting their approval.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

the tragedy is she might actually win this

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

i don't think anyone is arguing the breach of contract. The issue is the damages. She is not the most the type of person that a jury/judge will have good feelings about. Rogers has done this type of thing to thousands of people I'm sure. None of us are demanding 600 grand in damages because none of us were cheating on our spouses and got caught. I can't imagine she's gonna get much out of this.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

"I had a brief affair -- it was very short-lived, a few weeks," Gabriella Nagy told CTV News. "I did not need to lose everything. I am at a point that there's no turning back. Everything that I held dear -- especially my job -- is gone."
    Roll that karma wheel, bitch.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Fine Rogers substancially and give this woman jack squat. Done and done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

LOL... sorry guys, she is entitled to damages simply for the fact someone was able to get and use her information against her, however that information was used because they seriously proke contract law and privacy law. I guess it depends on the judge of the day.

When I worked for a bank this stuff was pounded into my head day after day. Here at the docs, it's pounded in again.

As I mentioned prior, had this been an abused wife, the consequences could have have been deadly.
    Last edited by stilleddiesangel; 05.19.10 at 02:11 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    LOL... sorry guys, she is entitled to damages simply for the fact someone was able to get and use her information against her, however that information was used because they seriously proke contract law and privacy law. I guess it depends on the judge of the day.

When I worked for a bank this stuff was pounded into my head day after day. Here at the docs, it's pounded in again.

As I mentioned prior, had this been an abused wife, the consequences could have have been deadly.
    had this been an abused wife she'd be more likely to get a big settlement.

had this been a good wife, she'd still be married.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    had this been an abused wife she'd be more likely to get a big settlement.

had this been a good wife, she'd still be married.
    Had she been an abused wife she could have been dead!!

The moral stuff is irelevant here. The fact is, they broke the law. The violated her right to privacy and broke contract law.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    Had she been an abused wife she could have been dead!!

The moral stuff is irelevant here. The fact is, they broke the law. The violated her right to privacy and broke contract law.
    it is completely relevent when the moral stuff is the reason for her excesive damages claim. Had she not been banging someone else, she would not be suing for $600,000. You can't seperate her actions from this case.

Did Rogers make an error? Yes. Is it a $600,000 error? No. Sounds more like an apology and 3 free months cellular service error. Her husand could have just as easily opened her phone bill one day and found out since it was already coming to the house. Rogers is not to blame for the breakdown of her marriage and her lost job. She may want to invest in a mirror to find out who's to blame for that.