Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Anybody had this happen?

Metal fatigue, and I'm not talking about Allan Holdsworth. I had this bar only a few months!

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

Yup.
    Same thing happened to me when i was 12 and i still have the broken trem bar!.
    Was b4 i got a Kramer that had a Floyd on it.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Oh, yeah. It sucks. I used needle nosed pliars and was able to grab a bit of the jagged, broken piece and unscrew it. If that doesn't work there are kits to drill out broken bolts or screws that will work. I got mine from Sears. Good luck!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    Oh, yeah. It sucks. I used needle nosed pliars and was able to grab a bit of the jagged, broken piece and unscrew it. If that doesn't work there are kits to drill out broken bolts or screws that will work. I got mine from Sears. Good luck!
    +1 on the Sears broken bolt removal kits.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

it happens to me on regularly....only on strats or guitars with strat trems...i use 4 springs in mine and i tighten the trem claw pretty damn tight, i don't like any movement in the trem unless i mean it, i often either bend them outa shape or they snap
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On my '62 re-issue Strat, the trem bar won't even screw in anymore. Don't know what the deal is. It's not stripped or anything...I just lift on the back of the bridge if I have to improvise.
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ME100472 View Post
    On my '62 re-issue Strat, the trem bar won't even screw in anymore. Don't know what the deal is. It's not stripped or anything...I just lift on the back of the bridge if I have to improvise.
    ive had this happen too, its probably the trem itself, cracked, take the cavity cover off and have a look where the arm screws in.
    if thats not the case, have you tried wrapping some PTFE (plumbers) tape around the arm?
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:56 PM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

+2 on the screw extractors from Sears. The left hand bits w/ attached extractors work nicely given enough depth to bite properly.

Also, I wonder if a heli-coil insert would work. Does the arm screw into the block or the trem plate? Assuming the trem isn't cracked & there would have to be enough metal left in it to drill & tap over size. Anybody know what the thread is on a standard arm?
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ohh, didnt even know they made bolt removal kits.... Right after I made this thread I ended up taking the whole damn bridge apart. Only way to get it was to take the block off the plate and pliers on the part sticking out. There was nothing to grab at with pliers and putting a screw in from the back would not push it out. I bet the spring tension I use did not help things, the bar bent a lot every time I used it!
    Anyway, this is a really puzzling design feature by Yamaha. the 2 outermost screw holes for the trem are counter sunk and these little white plastic rings put in. What does that accomplish???
    I had this guitar staying in tune almost as well as my floyd(edge) equipped ibanez before I took the bridge apart and its working like shit now, so I have to figure that out again. lol.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VF5150 View Post
    ohh, didnt even know they made bolt removal kits.... Right after I made this thread I ended up taking the whole damn bridge apart. Only way to get it was to take the block off the plate and pliers on the part sticking out. There was nothing to grab at with pliers and putting a screw in from the back would not push it out. I bet the spring tension I use did not help things, the bar bent a lot every time I used it!
    Anyway, this is a really puzzling design feature by Yamaha. the 2 outermost screw holes for the trem are counter sunk and these little white plastic rings put in. What does that accomplish???
    I had this guitar staying in tune almost as well as my floyd(edge) equipped ibanez before I took the bridge apart and its working like shit now, so I have to figure that out again. lol.
    Yeah, those inserts are there for the same reason most shredder, Floyd equipped guitars have inserts that the posts screw into; to avoid elongation of the holes in the wood. I've seen this on Yamaha's, and even on a few Ibanez models, though they used brass inserts, with standard type trems that use softer woods like basswood. This way, the two outermost screws take the brunt of the load safely, and the four inner screws just maintain extra stability, and in theory transfer vibration more effectively to the body. It's actually a good thing, especially if your body wood is soft. Most guys who set up vintage type trems will adjust the two outboard screws down almost flush with the plate, then back out the inner four slightly higher to reduce interference. This makes your trem feel much more balanced with the less friction induced by setting all the screws the same down on the plate.
    I think most of us have had the ol' arm break off at one time or another. The last one I broke snapped off pretty deep, and the angle of the break made it impossible to drill out. Had to buy another block on that one.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the explanation, didn't think of that but it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, I can't believe this. I got another bar and it already broke off! Its not like I use the trem that much, and even if I did, lasting less that a week is ridiculous. This time it broke really far in. Maybe its a problem with the trem unit itself!?

-chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Oh...that's tough to say. When you swing the bar around, do you get any binding? I tend to think it's just the way these things are made now. I just got a new Fender replacement bar, and it already flexes way more than the original that broke. Feels real cheap. Good luck trying to retrieve the broken end though. Hopefully you can fish it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by VF5150 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation, didn't think of that but it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, I can't believe this. I got another bar and it already broke off! Its not like I use the trem that much, and even if I did, lasting less that a week is ridiculous. This time it broke really far in. Maybe its a problem with the trem unit itself!?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No binding, but a LOT of slop. This one was much more rigid than the first one that broke. It was allparts and had a screw on metal tip instead of a plastic tip. It actually felt very sturdy.

-chefcraig on me