Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default New guitar body question

Soooo-
    I pulled the trigger recently to buy a Southeast guitars body. doesn't look too shabby. I set my Musikcraft neck into the pocket, and it doesn't sit snug, much like my other guitars do. Is that bad? I would imagine that bolting it down, you'de never know...anyone?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:35 PM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm no builder but I'd think the main concern would be how it sits in relation to the bridge & shim accordingly.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Ted. Anyone else?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Uhhhhh well, I guess it just depends how sloppy it is. Is it just a cosmetic issue, or do you get shifting? Some can be quite bad, but it's no big deal. You can simply add a little material to the sides to snug it up. Some guys simply apply masking tape to make up the difference; I've done that as well. If it's real sloppy, then the next and better step is to go to maple veneer, and apply that to the pocket. If you take your time, it will look pro and your neck will be nice and tight, and not shift.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SLEEPER5150-
    I tried the masking tape. I put a piece on each side of the neck cavity,trimmed the tape along it so it was even, then slid the neck into the pocket. Still a tad loose. Put another piece on each side, trimmed the tape again, and BAM! Its fixed. Thanks, my friend!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.08.10 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to rain on your parade but I would of sent the body back. Fact is the neck/body joint is the most important connection on a guitar and needs to be tight. A sloppy neck joint will kill your sustain and overall accoustic resonance of the guitar. Adding tape will dampen it even more. You should never have to ADD anything to your neck pocket.

Mitch
    KnE Guitars

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Oh, no doubt, but in a situation like this, which is the cuprit? The body or the neck? That's why I suggested the veneer shimming. Masking tape isn't the method I prefer, but it's surprised me over the years just how many set up guys use this method. It used to make me cringe, but after seeing numerous hack techniques, this seems mild in comparison. With the tape idea, I was only paraphrasing it from another linker who had suggested it as a remedy. For myself, I used maple veneer on an older bass I had. it has a tapered heel, short neck pocket that got a little sloppier as time went on, so I applied the veneer, did some minor finishing to get the fit right, and had no further issues.
    Your'e absolutely right though Mitch. Should fit right the first time. Again though, it just comes down to which component was at fault.
    That's why I always order the neck and body from the same place. Takes some of the guess work, and these issues out of the equasion. Hell....I even say this masking tape method on a Fender! Shocked the hell out of me.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.