Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

3rd-grader gets 5 days' detention for Jolly Rancher

ORCHARD, Texas – A third-grader at Brazos Elementary was given a week’s detention for possessing a Jolly Rancher.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d9b_1273338581

School officials in Brazos County are defending the seemingly harsh sentence. The school’s principal and superintendent said they were simply complying with a state law that limits junk food in schools.

But the girl’s parents say it’s a huge overreaction.

“I think it’s stupid to give a kid a week’s worth of detention for a piece of candy,” said Amber Brazda, the girl’s mother. "The whole thing was just ridiculous to me."

Leighann Adair, 10, was eating lunch Monday when a teacher confiscated the candy. Her parents said she was in tears when she arrived home later that afternoon and handed them the detention notice.

According to the disciplinary referral, she would be separated from other students during lunch and recess through Friday.

Jack Ellis, the superintendent for Brazos Independent School District, declined an on-camera interview. But he said the school was abiding by a state guideline that banned “minimal nutrition” foods.

“Whether or not I agree with the guidelines, we have to follow the rules,” he said.

The state, however, gives each school discretion over how to enforce the policy. Ellis said school officials had decided a stricter punishment was necessary after lesser penalties failed to serve as a deterrent.

Ellis said failing to adhere to the state’s guidelines could put federal funding in jeopardy.

According to the Texas Department of Agriculture’s website, “The Texas Public School Nutrition Policy (TPSNP) explicitly states that it does not restrict what foods or beverages parents may provide for their own children's consumption.”

Brazos Elementary Principal Jeanne Young, said the problem, in this instance, was that the candy was provided by another student – not the girl’s parents.

The girl’s mother said the incident has taught her daughter a lesson, but not the one her teachers intended.

“I told her, ‘Leighann, unfortunately you’re learning very young that life’s not fair,'” Brazda said.

http://www.khou.com/news/Candy-Gets-...-93033319.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Yay for big government and stupid rules because of bad parenting.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

That is great news that they nailed her on this one! First it is bringing a Jolly Rancher to school the next thing you know she is trying to detonate a car bomb in Times Square.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We have to have zero tolerance on these things. It's easy to say "it was just a jolly rancher" and yes, in this case it was....but what if it wasn't? What if it had been a snickers? What if, god forbid, it had been a toblerone? Then everyone would be complaining that the school hadn't done enough.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

I used to do about 3 Jolly Ranchers before 5th period. The older kids would turn us on to them on the bus stop. After school was when we really did them.Alot of kids didnt start using until they got to college. Just say no to Jolly Ranchers!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    That is great news that they nailed her on this one! First it is bringing a Jolly Rancher to school the next thing you know she is trying to detonate a car bomb in Times Square.
    LMAO!

I guess I grew up in the day and age of sack lunches, and we brought whatever we wanted for lunch. Even candy bars.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    “I told her, ‘Leighann, unfortunately you’re learning very young that life’s not fair,'” Brazda said.
    this is the only part of the story I have no problem with! It seems to me that our kids grow up today thinking life is nothing but sunshine and rainbows and if you want something, just ask for it, and no matter how ridiculous the request, your parents or someone else will get it for you! So, if somewhere, some kid is learning that "You Can't Always Get What You Want", good for them.

But 5 days detention over a Jolly Rancher? C'Mon, Dave, give me a break!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

....wow.

My daughter is a straight A student. Always has been. Great with other kids, kind. A pleasure for all of her teachers, and a good example for other kids (her teachers words).

A few years ago in 4th grade she was really bummed out that she had to bring home a "bad note", from the PRINCIPAL!!! I was thinking "what in the world? ...YOU?!?!?" lol! I read it and could not believe my fucking eyes. Janice got "written up" for using two paper towels instead of one on her way out of the restroom.....I shit you not. The principal happened to be in there too and "directly witnessed her inappropriate actions". Apparently teachers mentioned to the kids once, by miss green lady's direction of course, that being green is important today and cutting down to one paper towel will help. My daughter said "I'm sorry Daddy, my hands were still wet" and I almost lost my shit. I didn't call, I didn't write a letter, I drove straight down to the school and went to the principal herself and had a chat. I told her that a reminder would have sufficed, on the spot, and that a write up like this is ridiculous. I left by telling her to never EVER waste my time like that again over something so overwhelmingly absurd and that she should consider actually apologizing to my daughter for making her "face the music" with her parents over something so stupid and she should save it for when she's smoking, swearing, fighting or putting tacks on the teachers chair.

Damn that pissed me off!!
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

who in the hell is running schools down there? what a joke.

Seen,

you showed great patience in your story. I would have likely gone completely bonkers.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    ....wow.

My daughter is a straight A student. Always has been. Great with other kids, kind. A pleasure for all of her teachers, and a good example for other kids (her teachers words).

A few years ago in 4th grade she was really bummed out that she had to bring home a "bad note", from the PRINCIPAL!!! I was thinking "what in the world? ...YOU?!?!?" lol! I read it and could not believe my fucking eyes. Janice got "written up" for using two paper towels instead of one on her way out of the restroom.....I shit you not. The principal happened to be in there too and "directly witnessed her inappropriate actions". Apparently teachers mentioned to the kids once, by miss green lady's direction of course, that being green is important today and cutting down to one paper towel will help. My daughter said "I'm sorry Daddy, my hands were still wet" and I almost lost my shit. I didn't call, I didn't write a letter, I drove straight down to the school and went to the principal herself and had a chat. I told her that a reminder would have sufficed, on the spot, and that a write up like this is ridiculous. I left by telling her to never EVER waste my time like that again over something so overwhelmingly absurd and that she should consider actually apologizing to my daughter for making her "face the music" with her parents over something so stupid and she should save it for when she's smoking, swearing, fighting or putting tacks on the teachers chair.

I believe in that instance I would've abused my privileges as a member of the media and given that principal a headline to remember.

School official makes ass of self in shitter

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

....wow.

You gotta be shittin' me.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

....wow.

Janice is a outlaw!!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Jolly Ranchers aren't the problem. No danger there. But what if she had brought to school...

...a banana?

Nothing to see here.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Lemme see if I follow this.

A girl has a tiny piece of candy in her lunch that her parents didnt even seem to mind the presence of, given their reaction.

School sees an issue with this.

School punishes girl.

This is all kinds of WTF.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know, I don't agree with the state's guidelines because this situation is showing how hard it can be to enforce however, I'm sure this has been discussed at length with the whole school. I'm sure the parents are well aware of the rules. If you know the rules and knowingly break them, there are consequences. She is not suspended from school, she has to eat her lunch by herself. It's hardly capital punishment. If the parents truly want to raise a fuss, it should be taken up with the state not the school for following what has been mandated to them. The school states that they have only resorted to this because other things have failed. They have to show they are trying to do what has been mandated even if it's stupid. They are in a no win situation. If they don't show they are abiding by the guidelines, they would probably lose funding. Now, how would that be perceived if they lost money over a Jolly Rancher. People need to see where the real problem lies. The state can change what is provided in the school lunches to make them nutritious and after that, they have to let it go.

As for the parents, they need to teach their kid to follow the rules whether they agree or not. It's how it is in the real world. I'm sure we can all state some rule or law we don't agree with but we have to follow or we will lose our job or get a fine/jail time. It's not about life not being fair, it's how it is. If you want change, teach them how to protest, write letters, get a group of like minded people to speak out at board meetings, etc.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.