Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Default Acoustic guitar tips?

My history is primarily as a loud, electric player, but I've recently started an acoustic cover band. All 4 of us sing and play guitar and it's been quite fun since we're not limited by vocal harmonies or guitar parts.
    As the lead player, I sometimes find myself unable to cut through the mix during solos...Does anyone have any tips on getting a great live acoustic sound? I really don't want to mess with mics and would rather use the electronics in the guitar. I have a boost pedal I'm thinking of using, but should I consider a compressor, or certain EQ settings to help? A friend of mine offered to let me use his BBE Sonic Stomp, but I have no idea what that thing even does.
    Any tips or ideas out there?
    Thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's all in the FOH mix. Just ask to get mixed hotter if you're the lead. You don't want to colour your sound too much...
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yamaha made, and may still make, the AG stomp and that was really quite a nice acoustic processor. It had various types of compressors, reverb, boosts etc that really helped accentuate acoustic playing without "electrifying" the tone. All too often acoustic guitars get that really glassy thin sound and using pedals can make it worse.

The only pedals I would consider using would be something like a sonic maximizer or clean boost.

What kind of acoustic are you using?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice.
    I meant to mention the guitar at first, It's a Washburn J28SCEDL Cumberland with B-Band electronics.
    Most of the venures we play are fairly small with minimal PA. Usually a powered head placed onstage with a couple of monitors.
    We generally get the sound good out front as well as onstage, but my leads really get buried in the mix. This is the case at rehearsal as well.
    I really just think it's a matter of having a slight boost for my leads and fills.
    I'll give the boost pedal a try, but I'm open to other suggestions.
    This acoustic thing is a whole new animal for me...

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Acoustic sets are best when you are doing tunes that have great parts, but then again I do not know if you are doing originals. Great covers I used to do were ELPs From the Beggining, The Who- Behind Blue Eyes, Zep-Babe I'm Going to Leave You, Rain Song, Ten Years Gone,Blind Faith- Cant Find my way Home,Black Crowes-She Talks to Angels,Goo Goo Dolls-Slide,FooFighters- Everlong,Pink Floyd-Wish you were Hear,Blue Oyster Cult-Dont Fear the Reaper,Police- Message in a Bottle, Allmans-Melissa, Aerosmith Dream On, Neil Young- Needle and the Damage Done- Keep on Rockin in the Free World.

I just shot you out some songs I used to play on Acoustic as it might give you some ideas to throw some in your set, as they all have really great guitar parts that stand out and not those strummy camp fire songs.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it Later
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I agree completely, Stray. We try to stay away from the campfire thing and and use different tunings, capos, etc...to have each part stand out as much as possible, but we have a former drummer and a fairly inexperienced guitarist in the band as well. Having diverse guitar parts is a fairly new concept for them. I'm trying to get them to understand dynamics and knowing that they should sometimes back off on a part to help a song breathe.
    I'm used to being in an electric band where I had a lead boost and a FOH guy to help my solos stand out. It just may be a bit of culture shock on my part.
    Thanks for all the advice.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

a good clean boost may be all that you really "need." You may consider or "want" to add some other things but if you're content with everything else about your sound then a clean boost should do the trick for your solos.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.