Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Default Michael Anthony: My 6 career-defining records

Was this posted yet? Saw this on the VHND
    Always cool to read Mike's thoughts. A good short read.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Michael Anthony chooses his six best

From big hits to even bigger hits, Michael Anthony’s provided the foundation

“Being a bass player is like being Rodney Dangerfield,” says Michael Anthony. “The bottom line is, no matter how great we play, we don’t get no respect!”

He laughs and adds: “But hey, I’m used to it. I’ve played alongside Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani. Really, when you’re sharing the stage with dudes that amazing, who’s going to look at the bass player? It’s just not done!”

Until now. MusicRadar caught up with the Rock And Roll Hall Of Famer and asked him to single out the six albums that have most defined his career. And while Anthony might not get the same respect of the axe slingers he backs up, with the amount of gold and platinum that line his walls, he sure must be doing something right.

1/6
    Van Halen (1978)
    Van Halen

Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony were four upstarts from Pasadena when Warner Brothers head Mo Ostin and in-house producer Ted Templeman caught their show at the Starwood Club in LA. Soon, employees at record stores everywhere would hear a certain hammer-on pattern over and over again…

“Even though we had gigged steadily for a couple of years, we didn’t have a ton of material, so we basically just took our live show and all the songs we knew and went for it. The whole album took a couple of weeks.

“Ted Templeman wanted to make a big, powerful guitar record, and he had all he needed in what Eddie was doing. He fell in love with Ed’s playing. Eruption wasn’t written out or anything. Eddie was just noodling around before a session, but once Ted heard it he said, ’Stop everything. Ed, we’re rolling tape on that.’

“As confident and full of ourselves as we came across on that record, the truth is, we were all pretty scared. I remember we put our headphones on and kind of looked at each other like, ‘Wow, we’re really doing this. Hope we don’t mess up!’”

2/6
    Women And Children First (1980)
    Van Halen

Within two short years, VH were the biggest hard rock band around, and Eddie Van Halen had established himself as a guitar superstar - and damn near a living legend. On the band’s third record, however, things began to change…

“Eddie started playing the riff to And The Cradle Will Rock on a Wurlitzer electric piano. Everybody loved it but Dave: ’No keyboards, Eddie! We’re a guitar band. Nobody wants to hear you play the piano.‘

“But Eddie was cranking it through the Marshalls and he put a flanger on it - the effect was so loud and powerful, I didn’t even think it sounded like a keyboard. Eddie won that argument, which ultimately was for the better - keyboards started to expand our sound and direction.

“As good as the album is, we raced through it. I couldn’t get too tricky with my bass playing; in fact, my approach was very brutal at times. We were in such a cycle of touring, recording, touring, recording that we didn’t have a moment to catch our breaths. Maybe that’s why the album sounds so vicious - we were running as fast as we could.”

3/6
    1984 (1983)
    Van Halen

Although they were still selling out arenas and stadiums, Van Halen’s 1982 album Diver Down was a haphazard affair comprised of half-finished songs and padded with cover tunes. But the group rallied brilliantly for their next effort.

“We never considered ourselves a singles band, so our attitude was always like, ‘whatever’ when it came to what the label wanted to put out. Our albums sold in the millions no matter what.

“But we were a little dubious when Warner Brothers said they wanted to put Jump out as a single. ‘It’s another keyboard song,’ we all said. ‘Hmmm, we don’t know about this…“ In the end, we said, ‘Fine, go ahead,‘ and boom! - our first No. 1 single. Amazing.

“I had a great time playing on 1984. I felt like I was growing as a player and background singer. Plus, I think the band was getting very creative. But then, right as everything went as high as it could possibly go, we hit a brick wall - hard.”

4/6
    5150 (1986)
    Van Halen

To the shock of millions of fans - to say nothing of the band - David Lee Roth abruptly quit Van Halen after their smash 1984 tour to start a solo career. The group was adrift, convinced they were over. And then the strangest thing happened…

“Our spirits were pretty low. ‘What the hell are we gonna do?’ We didn’t know. But thanks to Eddie’s auto mechanic, Claudio Zampolli, who suggested Eddie give Sammy Hagar a call, things turned out beautifully. Sammy came down, we jammed and the result was amazing: suddenly, Van Halen was a band again.

“As a vocalist, Sammy has wider range than Roth, so we were able to do songs like Dreams and Why Can’t This Be Love. It was great. Now we had our first No. 1 album.

“Musically, I was able to get more fluid on the bass - I didn’t have to pound and hammer as much. The songs and arrangements were more complex and varied. It was a very exciting time for us. How many people get to hit it big twice?”

5/6
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (1991)
    Van Halen

By the early ’90s, ‘Van Hagar,’ as they were often called, were firing on all cylinders. Stunning all doubters, they were even more successful with Sammy Hagar than with David Lee Roth. And finally, a musical victory for the bass player!

“Thanks to Andy Johns, this was the first big bad bass record we ever had. Andy’s a bass player, and the first thing he said to me was, ’Michael, I want to really hear you for a change.’ All I could say was, ‘Yes! Thank you!’

“The album had great energy to it. We had terrific songs like Poundcake and we were really cookin’. I think it’s one of our best overall.

“Alex always got such an enormous ound, and Eddie had a tonal range that really filled up the tracks. I was always kind of fighting for my spots to shine. But Andy had me bring in my big Ampeg SVT and just tear the place up. He got a killer sound, not just from me but the whole band. I can’t say enough about the guy. He helped us make one of our finest records. You could literally hear every instrument.”

6/6
    Chickenfoot (2009)
    Chickenfoot

Van Halen sputtered to a halt halfway into a sell-out 2004 tour, and soon after, Hagar and Anthony were out of the band. The two friends figured that was finally that. But a jam session in Las Vegas with guitar star Joe Satriani and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith led to yet another band - one with a really kooky name.

“God, what can I say about Chickenfoot that hasn’t already been said? Sammy and I really didn’t know if there was going to be another chapter in our musical lives together. Lo and behold, the third time is definitely the charm.

“Getting together with these guys was like being born again. I felt like a kid who just played his first high school dance and impressed all the pretty girls. Really, it’s that cool. And the best thing is, there’s no egos, no bullshit - it’s just four guys going for the same thing together, the way a band should be.

“Making the record was like a dream come true. We were with Andy Johns again, and he knew exactly how we should sound. Plus, the songs were strong. Joe’s a great writer and a genius on the guitar; Sammy reached a new peak, writing-wise and as a vocalist; and Chad and I contributed lots of ideas and really worked as a team. He’s an amazing drummer, very inspiring. Everybody rooted for one another; we were our own cheerleaders.

“I can’t wait to do our next album.”
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

Very cool!!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

Great stuff. I love when artists are able to remember and be introspective about the work they put out. I love his memories of Women & Children First.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

this is pretty cool.

Has he ever recorded outside the framework of VH and Chickenfoot?

You know like guest appearance or bass tribute albums or anything like that?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    this is pretty cool.

Has he ever recorded outside the framework of VH and Chickenfoot?

You know like guest appearance or bass tribute albums or anything like that?
    The first one that comes to mind is him singing backups on Autograph's first album. Also know he did a bit on Neil Zaza's stuff a couple years back...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    The first one that comes to mind is him singing backups on Autograph's first album. Also know he did a bit on Neil Zaza's stuff a couple years back...
    Didn't he play some on Sammy's last solo album? I've never actually heard the album, but I know he was in the video.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Word, nice interview. Mike rules.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

Yeah very very cool!!!
    Love hearing stories behind great rock albums!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Mike played on LOUD and Psycho Vertigo I think, don't know about anything else.

Favorite VH Album

VH, Fair Warning, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:09 AM
    Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

He also played bass and did background vocals on "Peephole".

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I'm still convinced to this day that it's Mike singing "somebody save the world" at the end of serious ju ju.

I've listened to it like a million times and I'm totally convinced it's mike.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug, Drop Dead Legs,
    Last Online

05.12.10 @ 08:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike is doing alot of press these days. Its good to get a different spin on things aside from the brothers.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I'm still convinced to this day that it's Mike singing "somebody save the world" at the end of serious ju ju.

I've listened to it like a million times and I'm totally convinced it's mike.
    I've had that exact thought. It sure sounds like Mikey.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

It's at this point I log in under a new user-name and say Mike didn't mention FW b/c he didn't play on it.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

I think Mike has some real nice playing on FW, surprised that didn't make the list.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!