Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

08.29.14 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Need some Wolfgang expert advice

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/1715771705.html

Even though I'm a big VH fan, I never really thought about buying one of Eds guitars for some reason....

, they have sort of grown on me for some reason lately

This guitar LOOKS really nice.

How does it compare to later models? Is 1050.00 a good price for this model?

thanks...
    If cleanliness were next to Godliness, then that would make you the devil...(CLUTCH)...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVonDrumCrazy View Post
    http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/1715771705.html

Even though I'm a big VH fan, I never really thought about buying one of Eds guitars for some reason....

, they have sort of grown on me for some reason lately

This guitar LOOKS really nice.

How does it compare to later models? Is 1050.00 a good price for this model?

thanks...
    that price seems crazy low...if its legit...buy it
    Andrew is your man to ask with anything Wolfgang related...he owns 3000 of the damn things!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    that price seems crazy low...if its legit...buy it
    Andrew is your man to ask with anything Wolfgang related...he owns 3000 of the damn things!
    Exactly what he said. I've got the exact same guitar and if it's in good condition, that's a STEAL. Get it whilst it's hot...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:11 PM
    Liked 2,855 Times in 1,068 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Every Pat Pending Wolf I've played as been a little different than the later models. My main Wolfgang is a PP, and I love it to death. Go for it! Totally worth $1000!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

The only thing that doesn't look origional is the volume & tone knobs. No big deal though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:41 PM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

That's the Wolf I have, a black Pat Pending Standard. Definitely go for it great price.

Posted from mobile device.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, I've been shopping them too. Most of the standards start around $1500.00 on e-bay. The Wolfgang is still new to me, I just bought a USA Special, and I like it so much I'm looking for another. I think I'm gonna go after a Fender model though, I love the new transparent cherry. Looks like a steal to me too...so go for it!
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Last Online

08.29.14 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cool..thanks for the reply fellas. he's going to come over on sat. and let me play it.

Now I just need to scrape up 1G right quick...
    If cleanliness were next to Godliness, then that would make you the devil...(CLUTCH)...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

The volume and tone knobs are not original, and the toggle switch tip is also not original. The original factory knobs are black Strat-style, and the toggle switch tip is supposed to be black. It would be good to verify that those are the ONLY things that have been switched out and not also the pots and switch itself. There was something about those Peavey knobs, too, that made them much better than what you might get from AllParts or another supplier; they were MUCH higher quality and more comfortable to grab fast while playing. I haven't been able to find Strat-style knobs like them anywhere.

The Patent Pending Wolfgangs are essentially a sure thing. I've never owned one that wasn't top notch. I've never played one that wasn't top notch. Still, the used value of Wolfgangs dropped quite a bit (at least on the eBay market) when the economy tanked. Black Patent Pending models have gone for as little as $700. But $1,000 is a good price--especially if you are able to play the guitar and check it all out first. So if the guitar is in great shape, is all original, and it comes with its original case, go for it. Be sure to check for/ask about the build sheet, manual, tool kit, and fret protector. If he has those things, you want them.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would agree with AT. I had a stoptail amber flame top standard in mint condition and struggled to sell it at $900. it may have been due to the stop tail but I think that's a good price, not a mortgage your house price to make it happen. If it was below $900 it might be. I say grab it if you really like it but don't force it.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Just a little info for you.

The Black Wolfgang Standards were all basswood. They did not have a maple cap on them. This will give you a slightly different tone than a maple capped Wolfgang. Honestly, of all the Wolfgangs I've owned, the Black Standard was probably my favorite for tone. My second would be the Flame-top Special (USA).

That price is great for any Wolfgang Standard, considering that people are trying to get that from the Wolfgang EXPs (Korean).

Patent Pending models will have the USA Wolf pickups, if they are still original. Toward the end of production, all Wolfgangs were using overseas produced pickups.

Be careful when purchasing this guitar to make sure that the pickups are original. While the changes to the knobs and the selector button may have been done purely for looks, it could also be a clue that there have been other, less desireable changes to the guitar.

This could have been a guitar assembled from several Wolfgangs, or a gutted Wolf with all new pickups and electronics.

I am naturally a suspicious person. The low price, in conjunction with the non-stock parts would raise a red flag. That being said, if you play it and you are happy with it, get it. Just know what to look for before you plop your money down.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Right now that seems to be the right price as black patpend models usually go for $1,300 and right now it seems like all guitars are really at a low not just Wolfs. At the beggining and middle of last year some Wolfs sold for some really high prices and were actually catching up to EBMM EVHs which all of a sudden have taken a big dive-Dont let the guy who has 4 up for sale at $3,500 for the last few months fool you, as the EVHs that are actually selling are going for a little over 2K.

I am always looking for certain guitars of all makes that I personally like and have noticed that right now everything is really down, be it Fender, Gibson, EBMM, Wolfs you name it you can get it right now for a good price. You can get just about any artist series Strat mint for under $1,300. Times are tough guys.lol

Andrew you probably seen the insides of more Wolfs than anyone and I had this discussion with Mike a month ago. Since they only made one pup for the guitar and we all know that mid 2,002 all pups were made in Korea how the hell does someone know outside of having a great ear what pups are actually in there Wolf such as the one Ludwig is looking at. Mike said he has seen a thin foam padding on Korean pups but outside of that there really is no way of knowing. It just hit me oneday and now I totally understand why you despised it and said Peavey cheapened the guitar with the Korean models.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by straycat113 View Post
    Right now that seems to be the right price as black patpend models usually go for $1,300 and right now it seems like all guitars are really at a low not just Wolfs. At the beggining and middle of last year some Wolfs sold for some really high prices and were actually catching up to EBMM EVHs which all of a sudden have taken a big dive-Dont let the guy who has 4 up for sale at $3,500 for the last few months fool you, as the EVHs that are actually selling are going for a little over 2K.

I am always looking for certain guitars of all makes that I personally like and have noticed that right now everything is really down, be it Fender, Gibson, EBMM, Wolfs you name it you can get it right now for a good price. You can get just about any artist series Strat mint for under $1,300. Times are tough guys.lol

Andrew you probably seen the insides of more Wolfs than anyone and I had this discussion with Mike a month ago. Since they only made one pup for the guitar and we all know that mid 2,002 all pups were made in Korea how the hell does someone know outside of having a great ear what pups are actually in there Wolf such as the one Ludwig is looking at. Mike said he has seen a thin foam padding on Korean pups but outside of that there really is no way of knowing. It just hit me oneday and now I totally understand why you despised it and said Peavey cheapened the guitar with the Korean models.
    It is literally impossible to tell which Peavey Wolfgang pups were made in the USA or Korea. Initially, yes, they were made in the USA; however, about the same time that they started producing the EXP the pickups were, at least in part, being made in Korea (I don't know if this was also the case for custom shop models and/or Ed's guitars). They absolutely look IDENTICAL. I've seen some people claim "black backs" and "gray wire covering," etc. etc. But ALL of the Wolfgang pickups had black backs, and the wire coverings were almost always gray--but sometimes they were black (probably just depended on what was available).

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Yeah, trying to figure it out by looking at the pickup could be problematic. Probably the best way to tell is to check the pots, and the soldering on them. It should be pretty evident if it's not a "factory" job. If the pots are original, and the soldering looks professional, you are probably safe. If the pots are off spec, and the soldering is sloppy, then you may have questions about whether or not the pickups are original to the guitar.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When did the EXP line come out? My USA Hardtail is a 2000 and I am pretty certain the EXP's were not even a whisper at that time but I don't remember.