Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Recommended songs for young players

Hey all, My 2 sons are starting to play more frequently these days and they are looking for some "reasonably easier" but still rocking tunes. My eldest plays the bass and he is coming along real nice and my youngest son plays guitar and is learning. They have friends that play drums and guitar as well and are always jamming in our basement and you can even start hearing the songs start to make sense. Pretty cool to me.

Anyhow, will you guys throw out a list of songs that really rock, but are fairly easier to learn on? They heard Great White's "Rock me" tonight and really grooved on it. They are currently into the older stuff like KISS, DIO, Van Halen, AC/DC, but are willing to try anything.

I would really appreciate the help on this.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I liked Runnin' with the Devil to learn on. The solo is manageable and it puts the bass player out there at the beginning. I also liked learning "Detroit Rock City" (i think it used to be a law that you had to learn that one if you bought a guitar in Michigan).

I might get shredded for this but one of the songs that was most fun for me when I was starting out was "Talk Dirty to Me" by Poison. It was fast, fun and the solo is very easy. One of the few songs a beginner could play front to back early on.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Talk Dirty to Me could now be considered current events with Brett Michaels being in the news so much lately. Some other fairly easy guitar songs from the first VH album would be Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love and Jamie's Cryin'. The ATBL solo is pretty straightforward and you can sound pretty much like the record. I had only been playing around 1 1/2 years when this album came out and I figured those out right away and played them in the cover band I was in (along with RWTD which was a great suggestion).

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Pretty much this whole album, sans a track or two:

It's the one that pretty much brought it all together for me as I was learning to play. Easy chord progressions and it's pretty rockin', as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great! Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. It is pretty neat to see the boys play. The youngest is still too much into video games, however, he will come around. Keep 'em coming if you have more!
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

--Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This is going back aways, but you know, when I used to teach guitar, I always used Badge by Cream from Goodbye. It's not the hardest version, but you can really pump it up. Some of my students used to really do some great interpretations of the song. It has a great melodic solo that is'nt brutal to learn technically, but it has great bends that you have to use to make it sound right, so it's great for strenghthening the fingers, and teaching control, and approximating pitch when bending. The bridge in the song has a great arpeggio too. Simple yet has a complexity in it's tone; Right out of Eddies' less is more philosophy. It's just got fantasic structure, and I've always had good feedback from students. It kept their interest. Try it out.
    beats the hell out of hearing Smoke on the Water butchered for hours on end! lol.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

In a time when I all I wanted to learn was Dokken and VH, the guy teaching me guitar practically forced me to learn Santana's "Oye Como Va". I'm glad he taught me that song. It helped me a lot with notes, timing and bends. It's fun to learn note for note and even more fun to improvise with in a band setting.

I bet you're having almost as much fun listening to your sons as they are playing!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:50 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Check out some of the stuff on Nirvana's Nevermind. Great songs and pretty damn easy to play.

Some of the early Kiss stuff too.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone! Yeah Nirvana and Kiss would be good. Duly noted.

Picked up Isaac a new bass today. It is a Schecter Gryphon. The guy threw in 5 sets of strings and a Coffin case. Got it all for $150.00. NICE bass. Lighter than his Explorer. Now I need to find My youngest son Jacob a nice guiter. We have 3 and they all are decent, two Strat types and one larger Harmony electrics. BUT he is wanting a better one so I will be on the look out.

They are working on smooth criminal, black diamond, rainbow in the dark, and several others. All of these listed are great suggestions and we are writing them down and they are working at different ones.

Thanks again everyone!

--Will Rogers

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Executionor View Post
    Thanks everyone! Yeah Nirvana and Kiss would be good. Duly noted.

Picked up Isaac a new bass today. It is a Schecter Gryphon. The guy threw in 5 sets of strings and a Coffin case. Got it all for $150.00. NICE bass. Lighter than his Explorer. Now I need to find My youngest son Jacob a nice guiter. We have 3 and they all are decent, two Strat types and one larger Harmony electrics. BUT he is wanting a better one so I will be on the look out.

They are working on smooth criminal, black diamond, rainbow in the dark, and several others. All of these listed are great suggestions and we are writing them down and they are working at different ones.

Thanks again everyone!
    How about some AC/DC?....Highway to Hell, You Shook Me All Night Long. These tunes should be manageable for beginners.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 18,176 Times in 8,984 Posts

One of the first bands I was in did a lot of medleys to avoid the guitar solo on a song that was beyond the guitarists capabilities.

Dirty Deeds/TNT I remember worked pretty well.

As mentioned earlier, John Mellencamps stuff is pretty easy and fun to play.

Nirvana as well. Some of those songs are uber-simple.

Most modern hard rock I find pretty easy as well. Boom by POD, Bodies by Drowning Pool, etc. Very easy songs.

Early Metallica I think is pretty easy as well, and some of the riffs are hella fun to play.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.02.14 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

"More Than a Feeling" by Boston is a classic first song to learn.
    Visit instrumental guitarist Randy Ellefson's official site for free mp3s, videos, lessons, tab and other cool stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 18,176 Times in 8,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs Meanie View Post
    I might get shredded for this but one of the songs that was most fun for me when I was starting out was "Talk Dirty to Me" by Poison. It was fast, fun and the solo is very easy. One of the few songs a beginner could play front to back early on.
    Funny you mentioned Talk Dirty To Me. When my current guitarist and I first got together, that was one of the few songs both of us knew, so we jammed to that.

Would never play it outside of the basement however, there is something creepy about forty year olds singing Talk Dirty To Me!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

I thought it was mandatory that every guitarist start with Smoke on the Water?
    Maybe that was yesterday. To the ACDC, Nirvana, etc., I would add any kind
    of the current 'punk' stuff as it's a bit more timely and seems to resonate with
    the kids - Green Day, Blink 182 and Offspring (though I can't bear the latter)
    spring to mind.

I might also suggest stuff like Summer of 69, as it's got a lot of the common
    chord shapes and introduces arpeggiated picking at a fairly elementary level.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Anything from the Beatles. Songwriting that set the standard; production that set the standard. Though many Beatles songs are quite basic, many others offer bits of everything you'll find guitar players doing. I can't think of a better band for a young rock/blues player to explore.