Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Trem Value

  1. #1
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.16.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,749
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Likes
    22
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

    Default Trem Value

    I've undertaken the project of rehabing an old Gibson Victory guitar for a friend. It came with a Rockinger Les Trem II installed on it. He wanted it removed, and replaced with an original chrome stop tail. This involved dowelling and re-drilling the post holes.

    Anyway, in exchange for my services, he as agreed to let me keep the trem. It is solid brass, and is in perfect working condition.

    Here's the only information I could dig up on it:



    The mechanical operation on it is similar to a Bigsby, in that it "pinches" a small coil spring for tension.

    It came on the guitar with a bridge with roller saddles on it. Not sure if that part is Rockinger or not, but it has brass roller saddles.

    Any guesses on what it's worth?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  2. #2
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I've undertaken the project of rehabing an old Gibson Victory guitar for a friend. It came with a Rockinger Les Trem II installed on it. He wanted it removed, and replaced with an original chrome stop tail. This involved dowelling and re-drilling the post holes.

    Anyway, in exchange for my services, he as agreed to let me keep the trem. It is solid brass, and is in perfect working condition.

    Here's the only information I could dig up on it:



    The mechanical operation on it is similar to a Bigsby, in that it "pinches" a small coil spring for tension.

    It came on the guitar with a bridge with roller saddles on it. Not sure if that part is Rockinger or not, but it has brass roller saddles.

    Any guesses on what it's worth?
    Hmmmm. The "Eddie Van Halen Tremolo" on early Kramers' pre 83. These are those kind of oddity trems now. Schaller, and Kahler made some of these styles for a time, as did numerous other manufacturers. and like models such as your example seem to fetch anywhere from $50.00 to $200.00. Large spread I know, but I think you could fetch somewhere in the middle, for minor wear, and closer to 200 for pristine condition....To the right person. When Kramer dumped them, they fell out of favour with the emergence of the Floyd Rose. If you were to sell something like this, like in say a CL ad, you'd definately have to give some background history on the piece, and sell it as a vintage item of interest. If you took it to a pawn shop, they'ed laugh you out of the store. There are a lot of vintage nuts that would totally dig it though, so the ad you posted is perfect. I don't recall if Washburn was an official user of these, but I seem to recall an awful lot of Washburns for whatever reason were fitted with the Tru-Tunes. As far as the Roller bridge you mentioned on Pauls, SG's etc., I remember them coming out more after the Rockinger; up until the roller bridge, they still suffered the same problems of the Bigsby.....Snagged stings. Wilkinson were the company who really capitalized on the roller bridge saddles.
    I dunno....I think if you tried to sell it, it would take quite a while. Is there a project you could use it on?
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 04.22.10 at 12:49 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  3. #3
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.16.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,749
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Likes
    22
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Sleeper. The roller bridge does compliment the trem very well. It looks like it was made for it. I suppose the unit would be more valuable if I had a Rockinger locking clamp to go along with it to sell it as a set.

    If I were going to sell it, I'd have to hit it with some Brasso or Never-Dull to put a shine back on it. I would classify it in perfect working condition. The Roller saddle bridge would need to soak in some WD-40 for a while to loosen up the rollers. They are not totally bound up, but a couple are a little tight.

    I've got an SG I could try to throw it on, but I think I'm going to hold off for a carved top guitar, since it looks like that would work better.

    I'm going to hang onto it, unless I get an offer on it that I can't refuse.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  4. #4
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Thanks Sleeper. The roller bridge does compliment the trem very well. It looks like it was made for it. I suppose the unit would be more valuable if I had a Rockinger locking clamp to go along with it to sell it as a set.

    If I were going to sell it, I'd have to hit it with some Brasso or Never-Dull to put a shine back on it. I would classify it in perfect working condition. The Roller saddle bridge would need to soak in some WD-40 for a while to loosen up the rollers. They are not totally bound up, but a couple are a little tight.

    I've got an SG I could try to throw it on, but I think I'm going to hold off for a carved top guitar, since it looks like that would work better.

    I'm going to hang onto it, unless I get an offer on it that I can't refuse.
    The WD will work pretty well to loosen them up. After that however, try this. Soak the rollers down in a solvent like acetone, but preferably Iso Alcohol, to break up any remaining traces of the WD-40. Then get yourself some watchmakers oil. Can be purchased in some jewelry stores, or department store counters that specialize in watches. Then apply drops of oil with the file applicator to the rollers. Give them some turns, then apply more. Soak up the excess with a tissue, and you're done. That oil will last a long time, does not trap as much dust and dirt, and the rollers will run perfectly compared to alot of other commercial or household lubricants like WD-40, or 3 in 1, which tend to trap dirt, and get real scongey. If you can't get your hands on the watchmakers oil, then try to source out dry moly lube. It's like a graphite, but retains the cushioning effect of oil, and lasts forever.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  5. #5
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    You have to find the person who goes "oooh" and "ahhhh" over it, which may or may not be hard. But I would use it on your own project first.

    If someone offers you $200, then take it!!!
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

  6. #6
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    You have to find the person who goes "oooh" and "ahhhh" over it, which may or may not be hard. But I would use it on your own project first.

    If someone offers you $200, then take it!!!
    Exactly. Most people would'nt even give it a second look, but there will be that one guy who goes, "ohhhhh, an old Rockinger!:" I know a guy who does just that. Combs CL, Ebay, Garage sales, whatever, to score old obscure parts or complete gear to tinker with. You should see some of the cool old recording gear he's picked up. Old Studer and Universal stuff. Very neat vintage gear.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  7. #7
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Exactly. Most people would'nt even give it a second look, but there will be that one guy who goes, "ohhhhh, an old Rockinger!:" I know a guy who does just that. Combs CL, Ebay, Garage sales, whatever, to score old obscure parts or complete gear to tinker with. You should see some of the cool old recording gear he's picked up. Old Studer and Universal stuff. Very neat vintage gear.
    I'm usually that guy, except with '90s sport bikes. I picked up a Ducati with 6800 miles for $1650!!!

    Universal stuff is HIGHLY sought-after!!!!
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

  8. #8
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.16.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,749
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Likes
    22
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

    Default

    Thinking about picking up one of these blemished for $190.00, and putting the trem on it.


    I'd have to pick up an aftermarket locking clamp, but I think it would work nicely.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

  9. #9
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Thinking about picking up one of these blemished for $190.00, and putting the trem on it.


    I'd have to pick up an aftermarket locking clamp, but I think it would work nicely.
    DO IT. I've had/played 2 Xaviere les pauls... and I can say they are insane quality for the money. In fact, I played a studio's Jimmy Page Gibson Les Paul a lot when doing session work, and I honestly didn't think it was much better than the Xavieres at all... and at what, 10x the price?

    Also, I just bought a strat from that same GFS blem sale... I got it and there was NOTHING I could see wrong with it, except 1 pencil eraser sized scuff hidden on the back.

  10. #10
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    I'm usually that guy, except with '90s sport bikes. I picked up a Ducati with 6800 miles for $1650!!!

    Universal stuff is HIGHLY sought-after!!!!
    Wow! Definately sidetracking the thread here now, but amazing score on the Ducati! I'm in the process of negotiating for a 61' Triumph Pre-unit engine for a rigid chopper I'm building. He want's 3 grand, but I think I can get him down quite a bit. I'm fabricating a primary belt drive, and I'm mating it to a 5 speed Baker trans, with foot clutch and jockey shift. It'll be a fun bike to build.
    Back to guitars!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  11. #11
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I had a Stew-Mac Les Trem. I can't find it now. Arrrrrrgh!!!! I would wager it's not quite as nicely built as your Rockinger. I was thinking of putting the Les Trem onto the Apocolypse LP, but then it kinda defeats the purpose of why I wanted a hardtail. I will end up putting a Fishman bridge on her (for the rare occasions I would do a live gig, as I have retired from that) for my Slash moments LOL.

    I almost did a Floyd on the LP, but then again- I have WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many Floyd guitars....
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Need a PV Wolf trem arm
    By AFU in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03.08.10, 09:56 AM
  2. Trem Arm Question...
    By fast98dodge in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03.30.07, 07:53 PM
  3. I need a Wolf trem bar
    By AFU in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02.16.05, 06:21 PM
  4. Trans Trem
    By P1 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12.18.01, 01:00 PM
  5. trans trem
    By Eyes of the Night in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01.19.01, 12:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •