Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Default Inspirational Players and Performances

If replied to with total respect for the instrument(and each other's opinions) a thread like this may be worth being in the guitar room.. maybe even stickied. Or ..Maybe not. I know the site has a music section but may be cool to have a guitar oriented music thread here.

To kick it off here are some inspirational players and a performance which is an example of the spirit behind the idea. May be a cool way to celebrate what inspires us and be turned on to a player, song or performance you have never seen/heard.

JEFF BECK: Cause We've Ended As Lovers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

This came around at a time when i was trying to play at a million notes per second, trying every stunt technique under the sun. It taught me that with the right choice of notes and a great tone, playing slow n simple can be twice as effective as sweep picking 20 arpeggios in 8-bars
    Leslie West-Theme For An Imaginary Western (written by Jack Bruce)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

08.13.10 @ 08:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    If replied to with total respect for the instrument(and each other's opinions) a thread like this may be worth being in the guitar room.. maybe even stickied. Or ..Maybe not. I know the site has a music section but may be cool to have a guitar oriented music thread here.

To kick it off here are some inspirational players and a performance which is an example of the spirit behind the idea. May be a cool way to celebrate what inspires us and be turned on to a player, song or performance you have never seen/heard.

JEFF BECK: Cause We've Ended As Lovers
    This performance gives me chills every time I watch it. Beck has a masterful command of his instrument, and it gives me chills. I caught this incarnation of Beck's band last year in Montreal, and am so glad that I did.....STELLAR show.
    -My Guitars-
    *1997 Peavey Wolfgang Standard Deluxe (Patent Pending) - Goldtop (My VH tone monster)
    *2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional - Honey Burst
    *2007 Parker Fly Deluxe - Dusty Black
    *1995 Samick Radio Ten Blues Saraceno model - Creme

"I want my guitar to sound like Al's snare" - Edward Van Halen

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Ed influenced my early playing, but not so much what he did on LP, it was all the live concerts that did it for me.

no secret these days, its vai... heres the 7 minute trailer from his last DVD.

I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Last Online

01.22.16 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

All of these are great. That Beck show has been running on Paladium and its a really great show. Vai and Satriani I think arrived on this planet on the same UFO. Both of those guys are unreal.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Thats sweet Tommy. I never even heard that tune before! Awesome.
    Technique and all that is great but I agree. Feel and emotion is best and like Jeff Beck it's not so much how many notes you say it with it's how you say it which makes it.

I agree King and fish..Jeff Beck blows me away. What a great band he has I wish I caught them in person. They do run that show on Palladia often. I caught it a few months ago and got chills the whole time. lol
    Was cool to see Page and Plant in the audience as well enjoying the show.

I agree Mikey. Love Vai. Very cool. Big influence to me also and I love his new DVD.Thats another performance Palladia has been showing pretty often. Awesome channel. I love his quirky style. I really dig his song All About Eve, where he's actually singing. lol Also love his performance of the tune
    Whispering a prayer from that show. People write Vai off as a wanker, and he openly admits he is one but there is much more to his music than that. There is a stunning amount of emotion and genius in his creativity and wankery.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

John Petrucci has been my favourite player for a few years now.....great shredding, and his slower melodic solos are very intense.........great solo in 'Under A Glass Moon' (see link) great link from main tune at about 4:23...then into the solo at 4:58......this solo certainly shows his main influences - Steve Vai and Steve Morse........

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQUAkz-Gb0
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    John Petrucci has been my favourite player for a few years now.....great shredding, and his slower melodic solos are very intense.........great solo in 'Under A Glass Moon' (see link) great link from main tune at about 4:23...then into the solo at 4:58......this solo certainly shows his main influences - Steve Vai and Steve Morse........

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQUAkz-Gb0
    also one of my fav

I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i know i have posted thisin another thread, but i have always been a massive Gary Moore fan, he has a huge tone and an unorthodox technique, plus when he lets rip he overplays in a way no one else can...anyway, heres Gary and Scott Gorham playing Thin Lizzy's Black Rose...

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

heres an example of him just letting rip all over a blues standard....

and blowing his load all over Red House!....

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default ...And now for something COMPLETELY different...

I'm gonna take a left turn here and say that it's not guitar players that inspire me so much anymore but cats like this:

Just a frustrated drummer, I guess but that's bad ass. Makes me want to jam with him on guitar or bass - his choice...LOL!

And guys Like:

Bruce Hornsby
    Chad Smith
    Doug Pinnick

NOT guitar players but that's the point...

Don't mean to derail this thing...I know it's a 'guitar' thing but I couldn't help myself as that's where I'm at these days...
    Last edited by sixstring; 04.19.10 at 01:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    I'm gonna take a left turn here and say that it's not guitar players that inspire me so much anymore but cats like this:

Just a frustrated drummer, I guess but that's bad ass. Makes me want to jam with him on guitar or bass - his choice...LOL!

And guys Like:

Bruce Hornsby
    Chad Smith
    Doug Pinnick

NOT guitar players but that's the point...

Don't mean to derail this thing...I know it's a 'guitar' thing but I couldn't help myself as that's where I'm at these days...
    mate i agree with you to some extent....i think musical drummers are a rare breed...thats why Keith Moon is on my list too

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    mate i agree with you to some extent....i think musical drummers are a rare breed...thats why Keith Moon is on my list too
    Yep! I find FAR more inspiration from folks that DON'T play guitar but rather are BADASS on any other instrument. Makes me want to find my own voice to be able to jam with them, if that makes sense...(prolly doesn't LOL!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Yep! I find FAR more inspiration from folks that DON'T play guitar but rather are BADASS on any other instrument. Makes me want to find my own voice to be able to jam with them, if that makes sense...(prolly doesn't LOL!)
    It makes sense. I think it's fair to say any exceptional musician is inspirational.
    Also it's all subjective what inspires an individual so I think it's interesting to see/hear what moves people.

Thats kinda why I posted that first Vid of Beck. He has many tunes which are more high octane but the interaction of his band mates, the solo of Tal Wilkenfeld and how the drummer and Jeff are in the moment of it...not only making exceptional music but enjoying themselves in that very tight and awesome band they have. Beck's playing and tune is a big part of it for me but all those other elements really makes it something special imo.

You all have posted great stuff and some I've never seen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

makes perfect sense to me mate. just check this short clip of Keith, even playing a drum solo the guys almost talking and its done with such a great sense of humour and flair....

'even the best drummers get hungry!'