Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Default Peter Steele Dead

I searched, I really did and I didn't see this anywhere on here yet.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ead_at_48.html

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Who?

Posted from mobile device.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

type o negative. not a fan or anything, just thought it was news.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Sad news-48 is too damn young. I thought October Rust was a good record more commercial then some of their heavier stuff. RIP.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Saw that on the Ozzy forums. Helluva singer, no doubt who it was when you heard him. Not a huge fan, but I have a couple of cds of theirs, good band.

RIP

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Tawn Mastrey (old KNAC DJ) almost passed out on air when she got the playgirl edition with Peter Steele in it. He is/was apparently named that for good cause. RIP, Mr. Schlong
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:16 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

They had some good songs, really sad:

From Billboard:

Peter Steele, the driving force behind the Brooklyn-based goth/metal quartet Type O Negative, passed away Wednesday evening from heart failure. He was 48.
    Known for his vampiric good looks, morbid sense of humor and rich baritone, the Type O Negative frontman was the author of such metal classics as "Christian Woman;" "Black No. 1;" "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend;" and the recent "September Sun."

Born in 1962, Steele played in a number of hardcore bands around his native Brooklyn before starting Carnivore, a controversial thrash band whose overt sarcasm and nihilistic views were the genesis for his most enduring and successful project, Type O Negative.

With childhood friends Sal Abruscato (later replaced by Johnny Kelly), Josh Silver and Kenny Hickey, Steele formed Type O Negative and signed to RoadRunner Records. With Steele as the principal songwriter, the band was influenced by groups such as Black Sabbath and The Doors as well as many punk, post-punk and new wave bands. His lyrics were often intensely personal, dealing with love, loss and addiction; yet he infused his writing with great wit and self-deprecating, dark humor which endeared him to his fans.

Their first release, "Slow, Deep And Hard" (1991, RoadRunner) was notable for both its long dirges and thrash breaks, and dark, humorous lyrics. Yet it was the landmark follow-up, "Bloody Kisses" (1993, RoadRunner) that broke the group worldwide. Steeped in goth imagery and experimenting with more complicated song structures, Type O scored minor hits with "Christian Woman," "Black No. 1" and the slowed-down Seals & Crofts cover of "Summer Breeze."

Capitalizing on Steele's good looks, the band received mainstream video airplay on MTV around the world, later earning the band and its label its' first Gold Record.

In 1996 the band returned with the commercial "October Rust" and Steele gained notoriety for his landmark layout in Playgirl. A full-fledged sex-symbol, Steele and the group pressed on touring heavily, enjoying the fruits of their labor; but excesses of the road and personal loss led to 1999's "World Coming Down" - an album laden with Steele's sadness and depression. Songs with titles such as "Everyone I Love Is Dead" and "Everything Dies" failed to connect at radio; yet the band continued to tour before going on hiatus. A hits collection would tide fans over until 2003 when the band released "Life Is Killing Me."

In spite of the overwhelmingly positive reviews, Type O was dropped from its' label and moved to the German-based SPV and returned in 2007 with "Dead Again." Though their radio and commercial success never reached the pinnacle of the early 1990s, Type O enjoyed a considerable worldwide fanbase, especially in Europe, and toured successfully through 2009.

When reached for comment, Monte Conner, Senior VP A&R at Roadrunner Records offered, "Peter Steele was an integral thread in the fabric of Roadrunner Records, having been with us from 1985 to 2005. Type O Negative kicked down doors for Roadrunner with 'Bloody Kisses' giving us our first Gold record in November 1995 and our first success at commercial radio with 'Christian Woman.' To this day, artistically it is one of the defining records on this label as well as a universally regarded classic in the heavy metal, hard rock and goth rock genres. I will always treasure my memories of working with a true artist like Peter Steele, and fondly remember the respect he showed me and others here as well as his deadpan, black sense of humor. While the music world suffers a huge loss with Peter's passing, his legacy will surely endure."

The group's publicity firm, Maple Jam Music Group, released the following statement today: It is with great sadness that we inform you that Type O Negative frontman and bassist, Peter Steele passed away last night of what appears to be heart failure. "Ironically Peter had been enjoying a long period of sobriety and improved health and was imminently due to begin recording new music with bandmates Josh Silver, Kenny Hickey and Johnny Kelly for a follow up to "Dead Again" released in 2007," says longtime band manager, Mike Renault. The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results. The funeral services will be private and memorial services will be announced at a future date. Band and family statements will be posted on the bands website www.typeonegative.net shortly.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:16 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Good piece from mtv.com:

I can't pretend I really knew Type O Negative frontman Peter Steele, who died Wednesday, reportedly of heart failure, although I'd met and interviewed him several times.

I knew his music, from the early days of his lurid mid-'80s thrash band Carnivore to the sophisticated melange of Black Sabbath, Sisters of Mercy, Pink Floyd and the Beatles that he and his bandmates conjured with Type O Negative. I knew that he was an amazing performer, haunting and charismatic, commanding yet never pompous.

I knew that every time I interviewed him we'd end up talking about how dismal the music industry — and life itself — can be, how our greatest weaknesses can obliterate our most powerful strengths. And I knew that whenever we talked, whether it was casual conversation at an industry event or at a confessional sit-down interview about the personal and professional struggles he experienced during the creation of whatever album he was working on, that the conversation would be filled with laughter and I would leave feeling more positive about life.

There were probably only a few people who really knew Steele. Devout Type O Negative fans surely empathized with his pain and appreciated his knack for writing songs that were dark as night, heavy as a pile of bricks and — in their way — as catchy as anything by Justin Timberlake. And Steele's deep, baritone vocals were one of a kind in metal. But as for what was really going on inside Steele's head, that's something he took to his grave. His personal life is largely a mystery.

Whenever people in music die prematurely, critics ponder who they really were and whether their art was a true reflection of their inner selves. Inevitably, if they wrote angry or heavy songs, they're described as "complex." It's practically a clichι, yet it probably best sums up Steele — complex and contradictory. Steele wasn't a simple guy. He was articulate, well read and intelligent. But it sometimes seemed like that's not the side he wanted his fans to see. He'd mention his admiration for the historical figure Rasputin and then make poop jokes in the same breath. He often talked about how he was just an average Joe from Brooklyn whose happiest days were back when he worked picking up garbage for the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation.

On more than one occasion, he emphasized to me that he'd have been a much happier guy if he never picked up a bass or sang a note. He compared his relationship with music to an affliction he had to endure and pulled no punches when discussing his distaste for record labels and mainstream goth culture. He was a contrarian to the end and wrote lyrics that were perceived as anti-Semitic (even though his keyboardist, Josh Silver, was Jewish) and homophobic (which he may have been). In 2007, the last time we talked, Steele told me, "That which does not destroy me just makes me more irritable, which I plan to take out on the band the next tour."

Such descriptions make Steele seem like a sour, bitter man. He wasn't. He was friendly, funny and had a reputation for being generous to his longtime bandmates — Silver, guitarist Kenny Hickey and drummer Johnny Kelly — and kind to the bands he toured with. In 2003, Type O Negative released what turned out to be their penultimate album, Life Is Killing Me. Although the title track is about the God complex that plagues much of the medical profession, the name says a lot about Steele. Obviously, the man was obsessed with mortality and prone to depression. On several occasions, he was very forthright to me about his battles with alcohol and cocaine and chastised himself about his lack of self-discipline. But like the leering, satiric wink of the album title, Steele made a joke out of his misery. He may have been filled with self-loathing, but he loved to make people laugh and he masked his pain with his morbid sense of humor.

Peter Steele held little sacred and took even less seriously. In 2005, following a bust for narcotics possession and a short jail sentence for assault and battery, Steele posted a picture of a gravestone inscribed with "Peter Steele: 1962 -- 2005" on the official Type O Negative Web site. It was a strange move that wasn't particularly funny to the thousands of fans who feared he had died. For Steele, however, it was probably hysterical and the best way to deal with his turmoil. The band's last album was 2007's Dead Again, and is likely a reflection of how he felt at the time. His mother had recently died, he had gone through rehab for substance abuse and his personal life was in shambles. It didn't help that Type O Negative's record label, SPV, suffered financial hardships after Dead Again was released and its U.S. operation went under in 2009.

And yet, despite all the adversity Steele seemed to be turning a corner. He had re-formed Carnivore and hoped to release a new album with them, as well as another Type O record. In October 2009, Type O Negative toured with Hickey and Kelly's side project Seventh Void and Destrophy, and Steele was as charismatic, funny and exciting to watch as ever. He also had a new motivation, which he discovered after his mother's death and it's something appropriately at odds with his image: Steele had become religious.

"I've always considered myself to be a Roman Catholic, but I've kind of gotten close to my faith because, as they say, there are no atheists in foxholes," he joked in our last interview. "As I've reached and gotten over my little midlife crisis, I realized my mortality. And if the day comes when it's like, 'Uh-oh, what if I really have to pay for all these f---ing sh--ty things I've done?' That started making me think differently."

No, I'm not gonna act like I really knew Peter Steele. But I'm sure gonna miss him.

Do you have personal remembrances of Peter Steele? Let us know in the comments below.
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

05.31.12 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of Type-O's later songs...I think one of their better, certainly shows off a great song and the band's humor in the video:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

R.I.P., Pete.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

In the mood for OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"Mean Street"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 261 Times in 177 Posts

I saw them open for Pantera back in the spring of '95.
    VAN HALEN
    7-7-15 Ridgefield, WA
    12-1-07 Portland, OR
    10-22-04 Seattle, WA
    10-19-04 Portland, OR
    8-13-04 Oakland, CA
    8-11-04 Sacramento, CA
    8-10-04 San Jose, CA
    8-7-04 Las Vegas, NV
    8-6-04 Las Vegas, NV
    7-10-98 Portland, OR
    9-15-95 Portland, OR
    8-18-93 Portland, OR

Sammy Hagar
    5-8-15 Lake Tahoe, NV
    5-2-08 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-30-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    4-29-05 Lake Tahoe, NV (w/ Michael Anthony)
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    10-13-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-12-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    10-9-99 Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    7-10-99 Portland, OR
    8-15-97 Eugene, OR

David Lee Roth
    8-19-05 Eugene, OR
    6-28-03 Tacoma, WA
    6-17-03 Portland, OR
    6-29-02 Gorge, WA
    9-2-01 Seattle, WA